MBB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Scots Hoops Fan, March 14, 2005, 09:32:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toph

Quote from: cufan on February 26, 2007, 10:19:57 AM
Gotta love the NCAA, Cap beats JCU and goes on the road while JCU hosts.

Good luck to both teams!

Regional rankings, my friend.  JCU was probably still higher.  The same thing happened when BW beat JCU a couple years back.

ScotsFan

Quote from: Toph on February 26, 2007, 10:37:05 AM
Quote from: cufan on February 26, 2007, 10:19:57 AM
Gotta love the NCAA, Cap beats JCU and goes on the road while JCU hosts.

Good luck to both teams!

Regional rankings, my friend.  JCU was probably still higher.  The same thing happened when BW beat JCU a couple years back.
Yeah, I would agree that JCU was probably still the higher ranked team in the region.  Cap was coming off of a loss @ Ott when the last public regional rankings were released and JCU was pretty solidly entrenched in the 3rd spot.  Since the last regional rankings, #3 JCU lost to Cap in the OAC finals #4 Hope lost in the MIAA finals, #5 ONU lost in the OAC quarters and #6 Witt lost in the NCAC semis.  Cap wasn't ranked, but beating JCU in the OAC finals would not have been enough for them to overcome the gap that had been there between them and JCU leaving the Blue Streaks as the higher seed in the regional.

Toph

I don't think Carroll could've gotten a more favorable draw, unless they had a first round bye.  They have Westminster at home, and should they win that, they have LEC.  I'm not counting these games as wins, but things are set up nicely for a Sweet 16 run.  Westminster should certainly be considered the underdog against Carroll (especially at home) and LEC has yet to prove themselves...I only wish the second round game was at Carroll as well so it could be played in a reasonably sized gym.  I'm afraid I may have to call in a favor or two to get a seat at the JCU/LEC game should it come to pass.

JK

I guess you are already past the topic of the OAC championship game, but I wanted to throw my two cents in.  I am a Cap grad and more of a football guy (played at Cap from 93-96), but I was in Columbus over the weekend and saw that Cap was hosting the OAC tourney and was playing in the Championship, so I went.  Here are my thoughts, for what they are worth:

Mims from JCU is a beast.  Capital couldn't stop him, and when he fouled out with a minute and change left, he had HALF of JCU's points.  That's a huge loss, no matter how you slice it.  I agree with Toph that his fourth foul was kind of ticky-tack, especially with as physical as the game was being allowed to be played.  His fifth, the charge, was probably questionable too, but the bottom line is that JCU needed to then find offense, which they struggled to do.  I also agree with Toph (a JCU guy, nonetheless) that Mims traveled nearly every time he made a move to the basket.  But, the refs (awful, by the way), let him get away with it, and he responded with a huge game.  It might have been different in the last minute if JCU could have simply gotten the ball to Mims and counted on two or the basket plus one.

Capital played a great team game, and got a lot off the bench.  They shot really well and probably deserved to win.  I am glad, however, that both teams got a bid.  It was well deserved.

Good luck to both teams.  I don't usually follow the D3 hoops tourney except in passing, but since Cap is in for the first time since I was in school, I will probably keep a closer watch on the scores than usual.

Toph

JK-
Finally a Cap football guy comes over to talk some hoops!  Looks like things are set up for the Crusaders to make another run at it next year as well.  I like Kaiser (sp.) with his inside outside game, sweet stroke for a big man.  I've always liked Stahl (although I thought his undercutting Mimes looked intentional in the second half), and they only lose one senior, I think. 

I think Capital will have a tougher time getting out of the first round than Carroll will, but I'd love to see both OAC teams advance.

David Collinge

From the College of Wooster website:

ยป NCAA Div. III Tournament Ticket Information: There will be a pre-sale at Wooster's Physical Education Center Wednesday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., and Thursday also from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. as well as 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. On Friday, tickets will go on sale starting at noon, and the gates open at 4 p.m. Tickets are $6 for adults and $3 for all students. One ticket is good for both games on Friday.

I do not know what arrangements, if any, have been made for pre-sale tickets at Capital.

Capital plays Centre at 6pm, with the Wooster/Transylvania game to follow 30 mins. after the first game ends, not before 8pm.

David Collinge

The All-OAC awards have been announced: http://www.oac.org/documents/2007MBBAll-OAC.pdf

Tori Davis of B-WC is the Mike Gregory Award recipient as conference MOP, the second straight season he's won this award.  I feel compelled to note that this award is named for a Denison University student-athlete, albeit one from the 1920's.  ;D  Davis is a four-time all-OAC honoree. 

Joining Davis on the first team are Tyler Ousley of Otterbein and Brandon Mimes of JCU, the other two players we had suggested as MOP candidates, as well as Brandon Todd (Muskingum), Greg Badenhop (ONU), and Nate Stahl of the OAC Champion Capital Crusaders.  Capital's Damon Goodwin was named Coach of the Year.  The OAC doesn't seem to give a Newcomer of the Year award.

Congratulations to all of these honorees!

David Collinge

Update on tickets, from the Capital website:

NCAA Tournament -- TICKET PRESALE
Tickets for Friday's Capital-Centre NCAA Tournament game will be available for sale in the athletic offices on the second floor of The Capital Center on Wednesday from 12-5 p.m. and Thursday from 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.  Tickets are $6 for adults and $3 for students.

I don't know if tickets for Saturday's game will be available in this manner, but those of you coming on Friday can obtain tickets either before or after Friday's game at Wooster.  Although there should be good crowds for all three games, I don't anticipate that any will sell out, so ticket availability should not be a problem.

kiltedbryan

Quote from: Toph on February 26, 2007, 04:36:06 PM
JK-
Finally a Cap football guy comes over to talk some hoops!  Looks like things are set up for the Crusaders to make another run at it next year as well.  I like Kaiser (sp.) with his inside outside game, sweet stroke for a big man.  I've always liked Stahl (although I thought his undercutting Mimes looked intentional in the second half), and they only lose one senior, I think. 

I think Capital will have a tougher time getting out of the first round than Carroll will, but I'd love to see both OAC teams advance.

Good point about Steve Kyser and his inside-out game.  He will pop the trey if you leave him alone out there.  I think things are setting up very well for Cap for next season, but I'm sure that they aren't worried about that one yet.    :)

Centre seems like a stiff challenge, but I can't get a good sense of them from just statistics.  I posted a breakdown of Capital on Centre's home board (SCAC/South Region), so maybe someone from there will come here and return the favor.

Toph, will you be at the first rounder for JCU?

Toph

Quote from: scotsbrod on February 27, 2007, 11:57:36 PM

Toph, will you be at the first rounder for JCU?

Wouldn't miss it.  I plan on going as far as they do.  Presale tickets for General Admission go on sale today, for anyway planning on going.  I'm not sure what sort of crowd to expect.  JCU traveled well for the OAC tourney, so I think the DeCarlo Center will be rocking, but I don't know what Westminster will bring.

ScotsFan

Quote from: Toph on February 28, 2007, 09:18:42 AM
I'm not sure what sort of crowd to expect.  JCU traveled well for the OAC tourney, so I think the DeCarlo Center will be rocking, but I don't know what Westminster will bring.
Toph,

It's hard to say what type of crowd Westminster will bring.  It's not really that long of a drive from New Wilmington, PA to greater Cleveland.  When I was at Westminster, we were a football school 1st and foremost and basketball was merely an aferthought unless we made the postseason.  Put it this way, I never missed a home football game, whereas, I've been to more Westminster basketball games after graduation than I had been to as a student (and that has to due with the Wooster-Westminster series over the past 6 seasons).

Lately, Westminster's football program hasn't been very good at all, and this is the Titan's first foray into the postseason in basketball in quite some time (I'm not counting their ECAC berth in '03-04).  So, maybe the 1st taste of post-season will peak the interest of some causing a greater than normal turnout to support the Titans. 

With all that said, I still don't think it's going too much out on a limb to think that the DeCarlo is going to be strongly pro-JCU on Friday night, however!

ScotsFan

BTW Toph, did you notice that JCU's spring break starts Friday?  Will that have any affect on the student turnout for the game?

Toph

I didn't notice.  I would guess it probably would.  I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of them leave on Thursday...that was usually the way things worked.  Hopefully there will be a good crowd sticking around. 

If nothing else, it could make getting a ticket Saturday a little easier if the Streaks win.

David Collinge

Lake Erie, in effect, will be on spring break as well.  Their spring break is March 5-11, but as March 5 is Monday, anyone going anywhere for spring break will be gone by Saturday, especially since it's just a one-week break.

Suddenly, that 750-seat gym isn't looking so small.  :)

pbrooks3

Centre is the best defensive team in the SCAC, probably next followed by Trinity (TX).  In other words, the stats aren't lying! 

They also rely on 6' 91/2" John Patterson for solid rebounding and shot-blocking.  I swear Patterson is taller than his listed height.  He had a monster defensive game against Edrick Montgomery (Millsaps) in the SCAC tournament semi-final.  Montgomery is very athletic and vied for Player of the Year in the conference.  He also produced a double-double in points & boards against Millsaps.

Excellent passing team with good leadership from juniors and seniors on this team.  Guards shine on the Colonels with Nestheide taking POTY.  He hit 8 3's in the final game, including a 55 footer at the half.  He's a gamer.

Senior Matt Jacobson contributes in  a multiitude of ways - rebounding, defense, dribble-driving and sinking open 3's.
:)
🏀🏀🏀