MBB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by miac newbie, February 17, 2005, 03:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drake Palmer

"If anything here offends, I beg your pardon. I come in peace, I depart in gratitude." ;)

tomt4525

Albany Senior Kyle Birr has committed to St Thomas.  Sorry, haven't seen him play to comment on him but saw he committed.

Smitty Oom

Been awhile since anybody posted anything of real merit on here, let me get the "way-too-early" offseason talk rolling a little bit before the bball season comes to an end.

A lot of great players from some great teams graduating from the MIAC this year. And I mean A LOT. There might be a big mixup in next years final standings compared to the past 2-3 years. Here is a list of each returner that logged more than 10 minutes a game for each team.

St. Thomas
Grant Shaeffer
Ryan Boll

Graduating 65% of their scoring and 4 of their 6 top guys, dare I say it, St. Thomas might have a down year in 2016-2017. Shaeffer will be back as their leader and Boll will have the experience, but other than that there is a lot left to be desired. Ryan Johnson and Jordan Burich will need to step up from their defensive roles and be big time scorers in their senior years, which will be interesting to see if they have that in them. The streak may stop at 11....

St. Olaf
Austin Majeskie
Evan O'Dorisio
Robert Tobroxen
Caleb Lunning
Ben Scheffley

They do return 5 players that logged 10 minutes a game, but all of these guys were roll players this year (Although Majeskie and O'Dorisio both had big games). Losing the big three (66.5% of the teams scoring) will make next year an uphill journey and this team will be battling to make the MIAC tournament after three straight years in the NCAA tournament.

St. John's
Patrick Strom
Tyler Weiss
David Stokman

Talking about losing a big three... St. Johns will also have a lot of scoring (64% graduating) and play-making to replace. David Stokman looked very poised and skilled for a freshman and I expect him to make a big step forward next year with the ball in his hand more.

Concordia
Dylan Alderman
Austin Nelson
Zach Kinny

There seems to be a theme among the top 4 teams, losing a lot of production, and the Cobbers aren't immune. They graduate 64.5% of their scoring from last year as well as 4 of top 6 scorers. The strides that Alderman and Nelson made this year were huge for the Cobbers moving forward.

Bethel
Brycen Wojta
Bridge Tusler
Derek Magnuson
Tim Hanson
Trevor Hall
Jackson Canfield

Bethel has to be one of the favorites to win the regular season MIAC crown next year. They return all 5 of their starters from last year's team, who made it to the semi-finals of the playoffs. For those number people out there, 83% of their scoring is returning. Both Trevor Hall and Tim Hanson made huge improvements last year and the addition of Magnuson inside helped replace Zim. Now keep Wojta healthy for the whole season and Bridge doing Bridge things and this team is looking real scary.

Augsburg
Collin Olmscheid
Ben Glover*
Brett Rasmussen**
Harry Sonie
Kevin McKiernan
Nick Varner
Richie Perea
*Tore his achilles early last season, assuming he should be good to go for next year.
**Medical Redshirt two years ago, this is his fourth year of school. Unsure if he comes back for one more year of ball.

Whether those two comeback or don't, this team will be dangerous again next year. CO will be the preseason favoroite for MIAC MVP, he is such a natural scorer and can do it in so many ways. Sonie should also grow in his role next year and a lot of good pieces around the studs.

Carleton
Kevin Grow
Tienen Chen
Mitch Biewen
Beau Smit
Quinn Johnson
Peter Bakker-Arkema

This team brings back the whole nucleus and should be a playoff team next year. However, this team lacked the ball skills on the perimeter to be a real contender down the stretch. Teams learned how to play against the size and strength of Carleton and if the guards don't improve their shooting could be another disappointing season for the knights.

Gustavus
Peter Kruize
Alec Koster
Jacob Herd
AJ Hatchett
Riley Sharbono
Schuyler Thompson
Cole Sweeny

Losing Gary Cooper will be very tough for this team, as seen in the 9 games that he didn't play last year. In those games GAC wasn't a top tier basketball team in the MIAC, but insert Gary Cooper and you had yourself a very good team. This is a team of role players, but my guess is that Riley Sharbono and Peter Kruize will be their leaders and probably sneak into the playoffs. 

St. Mary's
Q Smith-Pugh
Aaron Romportl
Wylie Ferron
Kevin Gleason
Braden Walbeck
Bradley Hill
Kai Endahl
Charlie Tayson

I promise I will be nice Coach R ;) A lot of guys back that played decent minutes for the red birds. This was an improved team and surprised a lot of people with their 7 conference wins. I suspect that they will grow on this momentum and be a hard out again next year. Q Smith Pugh was a needed new dynamic for them last year plus a lot of promising freshman make this team a sneaky pick for a playoff spot next year.

Hamline
Zach Smith
Connor Knutson
Dylan See-Rockers
Travis VanEsleberg
TC Robinson
Bret Lukes
Isaac Brooks
Quinton Garvis
Brian Hartman
Nick Powell

Some legit talent here with Smith and Knutson and See-Rockers if he comes back well from his foot injury. Other than that, a lot of role players and lacking the depth to really be a force in this league.

Macalester
Michael Gutierrez
Kareem Ismail
Dylan Kilgour*
Wyatt Ferm
Luke Poulsen
*Broke his wrist after second game and is eligible for one more year if he chooses.

One of the best two win teams to ever play in the MIAC. A lot of talent on this team will be returning and they run a very unique offense that is hard to play against. Ferm and Gutierrez is a great core for the Scots going forward, not to mention they have Ismail again next year. Another perennial bottom feeder on the rise.

Here is the projected 2016-2017 MIAC regular season standings:
1. Bethel
2. St. Thomas
3. Augsburg
4. Carleton
5. St. Mary's
6. Concordia
-----------------
7. St. Johns
8. Macalester
9. Gustavus
10. St. Olaf
11. Hamline

SUMMIT!!!!!

Excellent post Smitty.....but I'm not going to look forward to next year ...not just yet.....not with the TOMMIES in tomorrow's national title game. Absolutely amazing game tonight....I was on the edge of my seat from tip off to final buzzer. Incredible defense shut down CNU's big gun (hmmm...didn't DP claim UST had no defensive stopper and thus was doomed to lose early rounds at best....but I'm sure his recollection is now that he predicted a UST national title). Cullen Ogren turned into a beast tonight, coming off the bench to more than adequately replace Saarela who was hampered with foul trouble all night.  Schaeffer and Montero continued to show why they deserve consideration for All American honors. Great job by the coaching staff (all of them  PapaHoops, each & every one). Now to flatten another bunch of Benedictines tomorrow and bring hoe the walnut and bronze!
After the game, the king and pawn go into the same box.

Italian proverb

BDB

SUMMIT!!!!!

ST THOMAS NATIONAL CHAMPIONS ONCE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Italian proverb

pg04

Great win by the Tommies! Congrats to them. They were able to keep the advantage, despite some runs, all half long. What a great path through the tournament as well.

SUMMIT!!!!!

Dont the Benedictines run a MIAC school too?

Italian proverb

miac952

That was fun. Montero and Saarela showed athleticism matters in the paint as well. Drew their defenders away from the basket and took advantage of late help defense. Other than leaving quite a few open three balls that Benedictine buried consistently it was a masterful game plan and execution.

AO

Congratulations Tommies!   Tauer and co. have represented St. Thomas, the MIAC, and the entire state of Minnesota very well. 

I can't say I would have predicted a championship going into the season, but it's too easy to underestimate the type of depth great programs have.  Who would have foreseen Cullen Ogren being a major factor in the final four?  Perhaps not the most talented squad the Tommies have put together in the last 15 years, but certainly one of the toughest and most determined teams I've ever seen.

Drake Palmer

Quote from: AO on March 19, 2016, 08:38:30 PM
Congratulations Tommies!   Tauer and co. have represented St. Thomas, the MIAC, and the entire state of Minnesota very well. 

I can't say I would have predicted a championship going into the season, but it's too easy to underestimate the type of depth great programs have.  Who would have foreseen Cullen Ogren being a major factor in the final four?  Perhaps not the most talented squad the Tommies have put together in the last 15 years, but certainly one of the toughest and most determined teams I've ever seen.

Ditto what Mose, AO, and everyone else had to say. What a terrific ensemble performance! Solid, gutty defensive effort by all, and different players stepping up to lead on offense each night.  Tip of the cap!

"If anything here offends, I beg your pardon. I come in peace, I depart in gratitude." ;)

miac952

Quote from: AO on March 19, 2016, 08:38:30 PM

I would say both of the Tommie teams to win the national title would fall middle of the pack in terms of talent of all the UST squads the last 10-15 years. Bother meshed and peaked at the right time.

sac

Congratulations to St. Thomas and their fans.

WLCALUM83

TommieHoops4Life

Congrats to coach Tauer and the Tommies on winning the national championship! I fully admit I thought the season would end against Augustana, but beating the No. 1 team in the nation on their home floor proves anything is possible.

You've got to love how UST clamped down defensively and shared the ball, which is what has made them successful all year.

The most interesting thing I took away from the win over Benedictine: UST took only 7 threes the whole game, and just one in the second half (Saarela had to force one up late in the shot clock). It was obvious that the game plan was to go inside and attack the basket at every opportunity.

Johnson for Benedictine could obviously score in many ways (21 on 9-15 shooting), but for being a 1st Team All-American he was a complete liability on defense. The Tommies went right at him whenever they could and other than 1 blocked shot, he couldn't stop anybody.