FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retired Old Rat

Quote from: Johnnie Red on April 17, 2013, 08:36:57 AM
Retired Old Rat, congrats on your daughter's graduation from law school! My daughter is also graduating from law school at Lewis & Clark in Portland on May 25. Always nice to get out to Oregon.

Thanks JR.  Congratulations on your daughter's graduation as well.  Agree, always nice to get to Oregon.  My favorite state.

National Champions: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003

kestrel

Apparently UW - River Falls has lost its #1 recruit, a 6'6 - 310 offensive tackle to the Tommies.  The Wisconsin farm boy is an excellent student and initially indicated he would pursue an agricultural business degree with a strong possibility of returning home one day to participate in the operation of the family business.  In their inimitable self-assured style, Caruso et. al convinced the young man that his thinking was provincial, and therefore self-limiting, and that  he would do better to expand his world view to include a more expansive global perspective, one that stretched at least as far as Salem, VA.
SCOTUS:  "I never bought a man who wasn't for sale." - William  'Copper King' Clark, U.S. Senator from Montana

OzJohnnie

Quote from: kestrel on April 17, 2013, 04:28:02 PM
Apparently UW - River Falls has lost its #1 recruit, a 6'6 - 310 offensive tackle to the Tommies.  The Wisconsin farm boy is an excellent student and initially indicated he would pursue an agricultural business degree with a strong possibility of returning home one day to participate in the operation of the family business.  In their inimitable self-assured style, Caruso et. al convinced the young man that his thinking was provincial, and therefore self-limiting, and that  he would do better to expand his world view to include a more expansive global perspective, one that stretched at least as far as Salem, VA.

"Provincial" and "self-limiting"?  Geez, I hope you only got those words from a bitter RF supporter and not a member of this guy's family - that would be unfortunate.
[  

ron doney

Also referred to as a liberal arts education. Except the Salem line, that was well played on your part.
The last shall be first and the shall be.......

FearTheEar

Quote from: OzJohnnie on April 17, 2013, 04:49:12 PM

"Provincial" and "self-limiting"?  Geez, I hope you only got those words from a bitter RF supporter and not a member of this guy's family - that would be unfortunate.

Im assuming that if this young man is 6'6" 310 and didnt get the Badgers calling he might have some football flaws. Good for the Tommies on getting a mountain of a man. Hopefully this young man didn't get persuaded by a hollow speech. Im assuming every football coach has a young man's future in mind when telling them they are thinking "provincial".  ;D

AO

Quote from: FearTheEar on April 18, 2013, 10:19:45 AM

Im assuming that if this young man is 6'6" 310 and didnt get the Badgers calling he might have some football flaws. Good for the Tommies on getting a mountain of a man. Hopefully this young man didn't get persuaded by a hollow speech. Im assuming every football coach has a young man's future in mind when telling them they are thinking "provincial".  ;D
I like your logic.  The badgers are so bad that if you didn't get an offer from them, you must be really awful.  I'm 6'6" 300 and didn't get an offer either.   8-)

FearTheEar

Quote from: AO on April 18, 2013, 10:49:41 AM
Quote from: FearTheEar on April 18, 2013, 10:19:45 AM

I like your logic.  The badgers are so bad that if you didn't get an offer from them, you must be really awful.  I'm 6'6" 300 and didn't get an offer either.   8-)

Haha. Call me naive I suppose. But last I checked 6'6'' 300 pounds sounds more D1 than D3.

SagatagSam

You'd be surprised at what you can find at the D3 level.

Concordia Cobbers
77    Tom Knowlton    OT    Sr.    6-5    300    Fargo, N.D. / Fargo South
95    Mark Wychor    NG    Jr.    6-3    305    Glyndon, Minn. / Moorhead
71    Drew Dorholt    C    Fr.    6-5    325    Warroad, Minn. / Warroad

Saint John's Johnnies
61    Austin Blank    Fr.    OL   6-4   340   Hudson, Wis. / Hudson
73    Ben Kuhr            So.    OL   6-8   310   Burnsville, Minn. / Lakeville South
75    Doug Welch    Fr.    OL   6-4   310   Milaca, Minn. / Ogilvie
65    Rob Sybrant    Jr.    OL   6-3   300   Shakopee, Minn. / Shakopee
79    Jack Palmisano Jr.    OL   6-8   300   Eden Prairie, Minn. / Eden Prairie

Bethel Royals
65    Jamison Finke    OL   6-0   315   Fr.    Shoreview, Minn. / Mounds View
98    Bryce DeBoer    OL   6-5   315   Fr.    Albert Lea, Minn. / Albert Lea
70    Joshua Perkins    OT   6-6   312   So.    Iowa Falls, Iowa / Iowa Falls-Alden
60    Ian Fowler    OL   5-11   309   Fr.    Elk Grove, Cali. / Bradshaw Christian
78    Josh Wolfe    OL   6-4   305   Sr.    Emmettsburg, Iowa / Emmettsburg

I would've grabbed the 2012 roster from that school on the corner of Cretin and Summit, but all I get when I go to the URL is "page not found."
Sing us a song, you're the piano man
Sing us a song tonight
Well, we're all in the mood for a melody
And you've got us feelin' alright.

AO

You don't need to look up the St. Thomas website to remember that David Simmet is 6'9" 340.  The kid is hard to miss.

FearTheEar

Quote from: SagatagSam on April 18, 2013, 02:27:39 PM
You'd be surprised at what you can find at the D3 level.

Concordia Cobbers
77    Tom Knowlton    OT    Sr.    6-5    300    Fargo, N.D. / Fargo South
95    Mark Wychor    NG    Jr.    6-3    305    Glyndon, Minn. / Moorhead
71    Drew Dorholt    C    Fr.    6-5    325    Warroad, Minn. / Warroad

Saint John's Johnnies
61    Austin Blank    Fr.    OL   6-4   340   Hudson, Wis. / Hudson
73    Ben Kuhr            So.    OL   6-8   310   Burnsville, Minn. / Lakeville South
75    Doug Welch    Fr.    OL   6-4   310   Milaca, Minn. / Ogilvie
65    Rob Sybrant    Jr.    OL   6-3   300   Shakopee, Minn. / Shakopee
79    Jack Palmisano Jr.    OL   6-8   300   Eden Prairie, Minn. / Eden Prairie

Bethel Royals
65    Jamison Finke    OL   6-0   315   Fr.    Shoreview, Minn. / Mounds View
98    Bryce DeBoer    OL   6-5   315   Fr.    Albert Lea, Minn. / Albert Lea
70    Joshua Perkins    OT   6-6   312   So.    Iowa Falls, Iowa / Iowa Falls-Alden
60    Ian Fowler    OL   5-11   309   Fr.    Elk Grove, Cali. / Bradshaw Christian
78    Josh Wolfe    OL   6-4   305   Sr.    Emmettsburg, Iowa / Emmettsburg

I would've grabbed the 2012 roster from that school on the corner of Cretin and Summit, but all I get when I go to the URL is "page not found."

Im definitely not trying to take anything away from the big men of the MIAC. Knowlton was an All-American and Wychor an all conference performer I believe. I can't speak to the other teams big men. My guess is that some of those cats had some D2 interest and based of size probably had some bigger schools looking at them initially and then tailored off for some reason. What that reason is could differ from guy to guy but as a general statement, if a guy is that big, there is probably a good reason they are D3.

Tom Thumb

Below is a nice article on UST's offensive line. Some of these guys played D1 or D2 ball prior to transferring to UST. David Simmet received D1 interest from Wisconsin. Curtis James transferred from the Gophers and is currently training for the NFL. Marks had a full scholarship at SDSU. Woodrow and Payne received a lot of interest too. I had a conversation with a current SJU coach a few years ago about Woodrow. They wanted him real bad.

UST's 2012 starting o-line:

64 Luke Marks  FR OL 6-5 300 Mendota Heights/St. Thomas Academy
73 Ulice Payne III SO OL 6-3 311 Greenfield, Wis./Pius XI
74 T.J. Woodrow SO OL 6-4 284 Eden Prairie
75 David Simmet FR OL 6-9 340 Stillwater/Hill-Murray
77 Curtis James SR OL 6-3 304 Edina

http://www.d3football.com/playoffs/2012/st-thomas-aims-to-be-known-for-offensive-line

OzJohnnie

[  

sjusection105

Quote from: OzJohnnie on April 18, 2013, 06:15:48 PM
Seeing that big o' offensive Tommie line makes me think just one thing: Game over man, GAME OVER!  What are we supposed to do now?

I'm with you Oz- no use. I'm not going to renew my season tickets- the Tommies are just too good. I don't even know why Gary & Kurt, Damien & the crew go out recruiting...the Tommies pretty much just run roughshod over the rest of the coaches  (D1, D2, D3- it doesn't matter) they take what they want and leave the scraps for everyone else to fight over. I'm thinking of taking up indoor Bonsai Tree care/nurturing and just abandoning this whole football fan thing....it's useless.  :-\
As of now they're on DOUBLE SECRET Probation!

faunch

Quote from: Vegas TomCat on April 18, 2013, 05:07:47 PM
Below is a nice article on UST's offensive line. Some of these guys played D1 or D2 ball prior to transferring to UST. David Simmet received D1 interest from Wisconsin. Curtis James transferred from the Gophers and is currently training for the NFL. Marks had a full scholarship at SDSU. Woodrow and Payne received a lot of interest too. I had a conversation with a current SJU coach a few years ago about Woodrow. They wanted him real bad.

http://www.d3football.com/playoffs/2012/st-thomas-aims-to-be-known-for-offensive-line

"A world that develops four-and-dones, instead of one-and-dones."
Gene McGivern

What about the "five and dones?" 
IALTO  ;D

"I'm a uniter...not a divider."

OzJohnnie

Quote from: faunch on April 18, 2013, 09:57:49 PM
Quote from: Vegas TomCat on April 18, 2013, 05:07:47 PM

"A world that develops four-and-dones, instead of one-and-dones."
Gene McGivern

What about the "five and dones?" 
IALTO  ;D

Another line from that blog post you quote, faunch:

Division III athletics isn't about the packed arenas...

Lucky for the Tommies that is true!
[