FB: American Rivers Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple Heys

Quote from: Kohawk Nation on September 22, 2018, 02:03:36 PM
Quote from: Purple Heys on September 22, 2018, 02:22:09 AM
Quote from: Kohawk Nation on September 21, 2018, 01:07:17 PM
Coe better beat Cornell every time?  What am I even hearing.  You don't give inspirational speeches for a living do you?

I am well aware as you have pointed out excessively now that Coe beating Cornell is not a barometer of how good or bad of a team Coe is.  I just don't usually go around saying "those guys suck!" when the team I root for has no room to talk.  But that's just me.

Thank you for the Coe football history lesson as well.  Since I was part of the Raeburn years I'll make a small correction for you (*2002-2012).  I don't think winning the conference in 2016 masks anything, I just think there is greater parity in the conference now with Wartburg, Central, Coe and Dubuque (2011 and on) all vying for a piece of the prize and other teams improving as well.

Since you are such a big Coe football history buff, you'll know that Coe went through a bit of a dip in 2006-2008 (18-12 overall, 14-10 conference) as well.  I just don't get too worked up over a couple down years.  I'm also not trying to sell you on anything, pretty much just stating a fact that Augustana is an improved program from a tough conference with rich football tradition and Dubuque is tough year in year out now to explain to you that Coe's 2 losses weren't to patsies. 

You don't need to attempt to school me on good Coe teams beating tough teams.  I am well aware.

I would think as a Reaburn guy you would have higher expectations for your 'Hacks.  In the age of analytics, the tracking numbers indicate they are down.  They have 7 games to prove otherwise.

Reading comprehension must not be a strong characteristic for Cornell fans if what you took from my response is that I have low expectations for Coe.  I just don't hang my hopes and dreams on the outcome of games played by a bunch of D3 kids playing for the love of the game.  Do I want them to win?  Absolutely.  If they lose does it ruin my weekend?  Nope.  My expectations have zero impact on either result.  The players and coaches expectations for themselves is what helps dictate that.  I take the same approach when cheering on the Hawkeyes.  Makes sports a little more enjoyable for me.

I did say they are going through a dip (or down however you want to refer to it).  I sure hope they can meet your expectations over these next 7 games.

Glad Coe won your coin toss  ;)

There he goes folks, your dispassionate 'Hack fan.  Sure did take a lot of words for you to express how little you cared.
You can't leave me....all the plants will die.

Outside the Crate

It is a term of endearment for me; that's all I ever was!  But apologies for my thoughtless characterization.

Schipper Strong

Congratulations to Central and UD on a well played game.  Stats are closer that the final outcome, the Dutch had two phenomenal goal line stands at the end of the first half that could have turned the tide UD's way had they not held.  Blaine Hawkins was intercepted twice today after three games with no interceptions.  I was surprised how much Central worked on the running game today.  At one point in the 4th qtr the announcers stated Central's offensive stats as being exactly the same rushing and passing.  Good to show we aren't one dimensional.  Jordy Borman added two more picks to his impressive list of accomplishments.  He doesn't want to rest on his number 2 in the nation status.  It was a great game to watch, wish I had made the trip.   

Kohawk Nation

Quote from: Purple Heys on September 22, 2018, 05:52:55 PM
Coe better beat Cornell every time?  What am I even hearing.  You don't give inspirational speeches for a living do you?

I am well aware as you have pointed out excessively now that Coe beating Cornell is not a barometer of how good or bad of a team Coe is.  I just don't usually go around saying "those guys suck!" when the team I root for has no room to talk.  But that's just me.

Thank you for the Coe football history lesson as well.  Since I was part of the Raeburn years I'll make a small correction for you (*2002-2012).  I don't think winning the conference in 2016 masks anything, I just think there is greater parity in the conference now with Wartburg, Central, Coe and Dubuque (2011 and on) all vying for a piece of the prize and other teams improving as well.

Since you are such a big Coe football history buff, you'll know that Coe went through a bit of a dip in 2006-2008 (18-12 overall, 14-10 conference) as well.  I just don't get too worked up over a couple down years.  I'm also not trying to sell you on anything, pretty much just stating a fact that Augustana is an improved program from a tough conference with rich football tradition and Dubuque is tough year in year out now to explain to you that Coe's 2 losses weren't to patsies. 

You don't need to attempt to school me on good Coe teams beating tough teams.  I am well aware.

I would think as a Reaburn guy you would have higher expectations for your 'Hacks.  In the age of analytics, the tracking numbers indicate they are down.  They have 7 games to prove otherwise.

Reading comprehension must not be a strong characteristic for Cornell fans if what you took from my response is that I have low expectations for Coe.  I just don't hang my hopes and dreams on the outcome of games played by a bunch of D3 kids playing for the love of the game.  Do I want them to win?  Absolutely.  If they lose does it ruin my weekend?  Nope.  My expectations have zero impact on either result.  The players and coaches expectations for themselves is what helps dictate that.  I take the same approach when cheering on the Hawkeyes.  Makes sports a little more enjoyable for me.

I did say they are going through a dip (or down however you want to refer to it).  I sure hope they can meet your expectations over these next 7 games.

There he goes folks, your dispassionate 'Hack fan.  Sure did take a lot of words for you to express how little you cared.

dispassionate meaning: 1. able to think clearly or make good decisions because of not being influenced by emotions.

Sure I can live with that. 

Doesn't surprise me that a Cornell fan has trouble with lots of words, but I can't post in crayons or just pictures.

doolittledog

I spent my day cleaning our basement, then Dubuque loses to Central and Iowa loses to Wisconsin.  Moral of the weekend.  Drink more beer...hope your favorite teams don't play an opponent wearing red and white!
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

Outside the Crate

I know it's pointless, but I look at the top 25 football poll and see three teams from the CCIW (North Central, Wheaton and Illinois Wesleyan).  Wheaton and Illinois Wesleyan each have a loss, but they're still ranked.  The AMC appears to have two fine teams, and a recent good track record in the playoffs, and we can't manage to get one ranked!  Wartburg's loss was smelly, but I don't know that it's worse than our neighbors' to the east...  Oh well, just shut up and play the game.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Outside the Crate on September 23, 2018, 04:42:25 PM
Wartburg's loss was smelly, but I don't know that it's worse than our neighbors' to the east...  Oh well, just shut up and play the game.

That's a nice statement on its face, but the facts are that the team Wartburg lost to happens to be a team which No. 21 Wheaton defeated. That really robs from your argument.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Outside the Crate

I'm not just talking about Wartburg.  What about Central?  Phooey!  Three teams from one conference?

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Outside the Crate on September 23, 2018, 09:12:31 PM
I'm not just talking about Wartburg.  What about Central?  Phooey!  Three teams from one conference?

Could be related to the fact that the CCIW has won 20 playoff games in the past decade and the IIAC has won nine. (Central hasn't won any of those nine.)
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Old Dutch

Quote from: Outside the Crate on September 23, 2018, 09:12:31 PM

Not to worry OTC, this Central team will work their way up.  Haven't seen the total package of a team like this one has since the last Central playoff squads, 05,06, and 07.  If they continue like this, one game at a time I'd say October 20 there will be a great contest in Waverly to see who goes higher in the rankings.  Dubuque was a challenge, good athletes all over and a very tight first half ended with the Spartans  on the 1/2 yard line.  Great stop by the Dutch.  Third quarter ended at 35-0 with Central running the ball well and he D still playing hard.  Some minor injuries forced some reserves into action and they responded well too,  good depth is very important too.

GoDutch!
61 consecutive seasons without a losing season
IIAC/ARC champs 39, 45, 46, 56, 64, 65, 66, 67, 74, 77, 78, 81, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 89, 90, 92, 94, 95, 98, 00, 01, 02, 05, 06, 07, 09, 19, 21
NCAA Playoffs 74, 77, 78, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 92, 94, 95, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 05, 06, 07, 09, 19, 21
Stagg Bowls 74, 84, 89
National Champs 1974

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Old Dutch on September 23, 2018, 09:50:54 PM
I'd say October 20 there will be a great contest in Waverly to see who goes higher in the rankings.

The voters will definitely have an eye on this.

doolittledog

I wouldn't worry about polls this time of year.  If Central or Warty run the table from here on out, they will make it into the top 25.  It will be interesting to see if Coe, Dubuque, or Simpson have it in them to throw a monkey wrench into things and pull out a win over Central or Wartburg. 
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

Purple Heys

Quote from: Kohawk Nation on September 22, 2018, 07:21:57 PM

I would think as a Reaburn guy you would have higher expectations for your ‘Hacks.  In the age of analytics, the tracking numbers indicate they are down.  They have 7 games to prove otherwise.

There he goes folks, your dispassionate ‘Hack fan.  Sure did take a lot of words for you to express how little you cared.

dispassionate meaning: 1. able to think clearly or make good decisions because of not being influenced by emotions.

Doesn't surprise me that a Cornell fan has trouble with lots of words, but I can't post in crayons or just pictures.

That's because Cornell fans can't think of things more than 2 weeks at time.
You can't leave me....all the plants will die.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Purple Heys on September 24, 2018, 12:58:53 PM
Quote from: Kohawk Nation on September 22, 2018, 07:21:57 PM

That's because Cornell fans can't think of things more than 2 weeks at time.

+1

Schipper Strong

Old Dutch is right. If this Central team keeps their focus, the ratings will come. No hurry putting ratings pressure on this young team. I am impressed with what I have seen so far. The athleticism and intelligent play is reminiscent of some of Central's best teams. Sure they could get tripped up, they are young after all. For now, one game at a time.  I am enjoying watching Central looking like Central again.