FB: New England Small College Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumbercat

A bit of a puzzling situation at Bowdoin as the search continues for the new HC. All 7 assistants appear to be on the job. I guess they are minding the store while the search is completed. Really surprising that none have moved on to other opportunities. Assume most will be axed by the new coach. Maybe Bowdoin has promised a severance deal if they hold the fort until the new coach and his soldiers are on board.
How can they be expected to recruit with enthusiasm when they know they will soon be gone.

gridiron

Lumber--similar situation last year at Colby but ultimately the new HC kept all assistants from the previous regime.  Perhaps the Bowdoin assistants are hoping for a similar situation.

quicksilver

The Bowdoin announcement of plans to replace JB Wells said that 5 of the 7 assistants would be retained . .

lumbercat

So it's musical chairs when the new guy comes in.....the bell then tolls for 2 of the 7 ??

"OK guys..... 2 of you will be terminated, we'll let you know when the new HC gets here, but in the meantime, keep selling Bowdoin"
Just seems like they are doing things a little differently than others have done over the years in similar situations at other venues.

At the end of the day, I'll say it again, the new guy will come off as a hero because he will benefit significantly from a lot of hard work and sweat that Wells invested in that program.

Despite the awful record this is the first time I have seen a NESCAC program actually pull the plug a bit soon. They should have given him one more year.

GoBlue61

Hey Lumbercat -- Regarding the Bowdoin coaching change...I have heard that the new coach will get to pick his OC and DC...the rest of the coaches will be around for at least the next year for continuity purposes.  It was the same deal when Caputi left...they kept the assistants around to keep recruiting and Wells brought in a new OC and DC after he was hired. 

My son played the last four years for Coach Wells and thought he was a good guy and a good coach.  Obviously, he did not win enough games to satisfy the folks making the decisions up there.  BTW...I was told before the Bates game that the decision had made to let him go, so I am not sure beating Colby would have saved his job.

The new coach will need to find a QB and find a way to keep his best players on the field.  Last year, Bowdoin lost 15 players and the prior year it was 19 players.  I know every team gets injuries, but no team can survive that many losses.  With all their players, Bowdoin was in the game vs Middlebury and Amherst in the 4th quarter.  Once they started to lose their offensive skills players, the wheels fell off.  I agree that the next coach will benefit from Well's recruiting.  Last year, there were only 4 or 5 seniors who started or got significant playing time, so it is a young team.

nescac1

Four future NESCAC players (Bowdoin, Trinity, Williams and Tufts - yet another L-S star) listed in the Globe's all-scholastics.  Fourth Duxbury player to pick Williams in the last three years, clearly the Maimarons have some influence there!

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/schools/201819/all-scholastics/football

amh63

Nescac1.....What!....no Mass FB talent for the LJs.... ;D.  Just kidding around here.  Have a safe and happy new year...to all the posters here.   The Amherst recruits will show up in the Spring reports.

Hooper

Quote from: GoBlue61 on December 15, 2018, 01:22:02 AM
The new coach will need to find a QB and find a way to keep his best players on the field. 

Doesn't Bowdoin have a pretty good QB in their program now?  A DI transfer?

lumbercat

McCrum is the D1 transfer who did not perform up to his advance billing. However I think he is capable and will be the guy as the program undergoes more change with the new HC and OC.
Stalcup has some QB ability as well but kind of distinguished himself as a potential playmaker at the WR or Slot position this year.
Ultimately it will all be a function of the new program but I believe McCrum has the ability to be a good NESCAC QB.

JEFFFAN

Quote from: Hooper on December 18, 2018, 12:47:46 PM
Quote from: GoBlue61 on December 15, 2018, 01:22:02 AM
The new coach will need to find a QB and find a way to keep his best players on the field. 

Doesn't Bowdoin have a pretty good QB in their program now?  A DI transfer?

A comment on D1 transfers.  If they are transferring from D1, that means that they werent playing at the higher level.   Means that they were 3rd or 4th string at their D1 program.   It is also likely that they are not transferring from Alabama but from a lower tier D1 program.   So ... a third or fourth stringer on a low tier D1 program maybe - repeat maybe - is equal to a strong D3 quarterback.   At best.   If the athlete was a true D1 player, he would be playing or at worse serving as a backup.   My point is that we hear a lot about D1 transfers, get excited accordingly, and then only on very rare occassions does that player make a difference in the NESCAC.   Probably best to lower expectations for so-called wonderkid D1 transfers ....

PBPOP20

Lumbercat.... agreed on McCrum...   he wasn't great this year, but he hadn't played live in over 2 years.  You could see flashes.  And, he started developing great rapport with some of the young receivers.  He's got 2 years left and will be just fine.  Word out of Brunswick however, was that he was not a big fan of the new "QB Coach"  they brought in from Waterville.   Hoping he's not one of the 5 of 7 that get 'retained'!! 

nescac1

I seem to recall Middlebury's last two D1 transfer QBs working out pretty well, though ... that being said, yeah, there are plenty of D1 transfers (at all positions) who amount to very little at NESCAC.  Indeed, Trinity's very hyped D1 transfer QB ultimately lost his job to a (really good) first year.

Hooper

JEFFFAN- your point is very well taken on DI transfers.  If things are going well on the field, most likely they wont transfer -especially to a D3 program.  McCrumm is probably now playing at the appropriate level.  I hope he develops into a good weapon for Bowdoin.  However, the 17 INTs must go away.

JEFFFAN

Quote from: Hooper on December 18, 2018, 03:03:39 PM
JEFFFAN- your point is very well taken on DI transfers.  If things are going well on the field, most likely they wont transfer -especially to a D3 program.  McCrumm is probably now playing at the appropriate level.  I hope he develops into a good weapon for Bowdoin.  However, the 17 INTs must go away.

As I mentioned in a discussion with another poster off line, I did like the Foy kid at Amherst.   He had a very serious arm, especially for D3, and was quick as well.   Unfortunately, he was also injury prone but he did a nice job at Amherst.

amh63

Some more "D1" QB comments. 
There are D1 QBs and there are Ivy D1 QBs.  Early last year there was the QB from Dartmouth that went to Colby and then transferred back to the Big Green....his father who is/was an EPH alum/head of the Eph's Board of Trustees.  There was a D1 QB from Brown a number of years ago that went to Midd and excelled at his position.  His father was an Amherst alum, I believe.  Talent, quality of the competition and the coaches all are involved in the transfer's success.  Oh yes, the talent of his teammates on hand are also critical to his success.