Conference changes

Started by hopefan, May 01, 2008, 11:25:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Mississippi University for Women is a state school.

The membership of the SAA includes some of the most prestigious universities in the South, the Association of Colleges of the South, e.g., B-SC, Centre, Hendrix, Millsaps, Rhodes, University of the South.  (Just look at the URL of their web site,  colleges.org)

MUW has a proud heritage but it will be interesting to see how the mission/vision issues are handled viz-a-viz geography.

rlk

Quote from: Pat Coleman on April 21, 2018, 01:39:21 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on April 20, 2018, 03:35:08 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on April 20, 2018, 02:14:47 PM
Part of the affiliation issue with Rust (and something that made it difficult for them to get opponents in general) was what Dave references -- underfunded athletic department made information hard to come by and made them unattractive as an opponent. Certainly you didn't want to play at their place because you have no idea what you'd get in terms of information.

Yes, of course I remember very well the chaos that Rust created with its informational vacuum, especially given all of the hand-wringing that hopefan did over it in the D3 vs. Others room back when Rust was a D3 member. I was simply saying that this:

Quote from: Ralph Turner on April 19, 2018, 05:53:26 PMThey are a long way from the USA South and way too far east and north to be a desirable travel partner for Belhaven and the ASC.

... was as applicable to Holly Springs, MS as it is to Columbus, MS. Holly Springs is not quite as far east as Columbus, but it's a lot further north.

I don't know anything about the school, but does it fit the SAA profile? It certainly fills in the SAA map.

MIT's head coach Larry Anderson graduated from Rust in 1987.
MIT Course VI-3 1987 -- #RollTech

smalltowner

SAA likely not interested in adding anyone without some major academic clout. Could pull Huntington and LaGrange out of USASouth, pull Louisiana College and Belhaven from ASC, add MUW and then only need a couple more for a reasonably legitimate new conference that would save all those schools a lot of travel. Centenary would be a good geography fit but they may see it as a "downgrade" academically. Maybe Piedmont and/or Covenant out of USASouth or an NAIA pickup from SSAC that would probably fit better in D3 if the travel was better (UMobile, William Carey, Blue Mountain or the like)

Ralph Turner

Quote from: smalltowner on April 23, 2018, 04:40:41 PM
SAA likely not interested in adding anyone without some major academic clout. Could pull Huntington and LaGrange out of USASouth, pull Louisiana College and Belhaven from ASC, add MUW and then only need a couple more for a reasonably legitimate new conference that would save all those schools a lot of travel. Centenary would be a good geography fit but they may see it as a "downgrade" academically. Maybe Piedmont and/or Covenant out of USASouth or an NAIA pickup from SSAC that would probably fit better in D3 if the travel was better (UMobile, William Carey, Blue Mountain or the like)
Thanks for the comment.

Of the 16 members in the Association of Colleges of the South, Centenary, Southwestern, and Trinity are the members of the ACS in the SCAC.

Morehouse and Spelman are members in Atlanta. Curiously, Oglethorpe is not. (Nor is Berry).

Other members include W&L, Rollins, Furman, Davidson and Richmond.

smalltowner

Oglethorpe has an endowment much smaller (at least 5x less, 50+x less than Trinity) than any of the other ACS schools, so maybe that has something to do with it. Also could be a competition thing, since ACS is affiliated with Emory- even though it's a research institution they still compete for some students I think.
Berry is just really unique- largest campus in the country, nearly a billion dollar endowment, really strong environmental and animal science that don't typically go with liberal arts schools. The whole Martha Berry story is pretty incredible, cool place.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Manhattanville has announced they are leaving the MAC for the Skyline effective 2019.

There are other movements, but can't say... there are some things to figure out before I can say more.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Caz Bombers

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on May 09, 2018, 02:48:41 PM
Manhattanville has announced they are leaving the MAC for the Skyline effective 2019.

There are other movements, but can't say... there are some things to figure out before I can say more.

the Skyline is getting pretty crowded, and there's still Pratt and New Rochelle ringing the doorbell and peeking in the windows.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Caz Bombers on May 11, 2018, 11:20:02 AM

the Skyline is getting pretty crowded, and there's still Pratt and New Rochelle ringing the doorbell and peeking in the windows.

I wouldn't say there are any guarantees those two end up being accepted. I think there are other destinations that are better fit. NEAC to be honest.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

jeffconn

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on May 11, 2018, 02:12:26 PM
Quote from: Caz Bombers on May 11, 2018, 11:20:02 AM

I wouldn't say there are any guarantees those two end up being accepted. I think there are other destinations that are better fit. NEAC to be honest.
Pratt is joining the American Collegiate Athletic Association this fall. At least they'll have conference championships to play for. I'm surprised New Rochelle hasn't joined the ACAA, while they're waiting for another conference's invite.

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: KnightSlappy on April 17, 2018, 02:43:29 PM
Provisional Pipeline for 2017-2018
First year full members: Berea, Bryn Athyn, Penn College
*4th year provisional members:  Alfred State, Illinois Tech, Iowa Wesleyan, McMurry (reclassifying)
*3rd year provisional members: Belhaven
2nd year provisional members: none
1st year provisional members: Brevard (reclassifying), Dean, Pfeiffer (reclassifying)
Exploratory: SUNY-Delhi, Johnson and Wales (Col.)
*Games against Year 3 and 4 provisional members count the same as games against full-members for regional-ranking and tournament selection purposes

Conference Changes Starting in 2018-2019
Bryn Athyn leaves the NEAC for the CSAC
Cabrini leaves the CSAC for the AEC
Castleton leaves the NAC for the LEC
Colby-Sawyer leaves the NAC for the GNAC
Eastern Nazarene leaves the CCC for the NECC
Ferrum leaves the USAC for the ODAC
Green Mountain leaves the NAC and D3 for the NAIA
Gwynedd Mercy leaves the CSAC for the AEC
Illinois Tech joins the NACC
Immaculata leaves the CSAC for the AEC
Johnson and Wales (Col.) joins the SCAC (1st year provisional in 2018-19)
Maine-Presque Isle leaves the ACAA for the NAC
Marymount leaves the CAC for the AEC
Marywood leaves the CSAC for the AEC
Mount Ida closes and leaves the GNAC and D3
Neumann leaves the CSAC for the AEC
New England College leaves the NAC for the NECC
St. Joseph (Conn.) adds men's basketball in the GNAC
SUNY Canton leaves the ACAA for the NAC
Thomas More leaves the PAC for IND?
Wesley leaves the CAC for the AEC
Wheelock (NECC) discontinues athletics, school merges with Boston U
Wilson leaves the NEAC for the CSAC

Provisional Pipeline for 2018-2019
1st year provisional members: SUNY-Delhi, Johnson and Wales (Col.)
Exploratory: Bob Jones, Pratt, University of St Thomas (TX) (SCAC), Mississippi University for Women (no men's basketball players).

Conference Changes Starting in 2019-2020
St. Elizabeth leaves the NEAC for the CSAC

So, St. Joseph's (CT) is a full D3 member even though they are a first year men's program? Do they have any post season restrictions for the GNAC or NCAA?
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

FCGrizzliesGrad

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on June 26, 2018, 10:55:00 AM
Quote from: KnightSlappy on April 17, 2018, 02:43:29 PM
Provisional Pipeline for 2017-2018
First year full members: Berea, Bryn Athyn, Penn College
*4th year provisional members:  Alfred State, Illinois Tech, Iowa Wesleyan, McMurry (reclassifying)
*3rd year provisional members: Belhaven
2nd year provisional members: none
1st year provisional members: Brevard (reclassifying), Dean, Pfeiffer (reclassifying)
Exploratory: SUNY-Delhi, Johnson and Wales (Col.)
*Games against Year 3 and 4 provisional members count the same as games against full-members for regional-ranking and tournament selection purposes

Conference Changes Starting in 2018-2019
Bryn Athyn leaves the NEAC for the CSAC
Cabrini leaves the CSAC for the AEC
Castleton leaves the NAC for the LEC
Colby-Sawyer leaves the NAC for the GNAC
Eastern Nazarene leaves the CCC for the NECC
Ferrum leaves the USAC for the ODAC
Green Mountain leaves the NAC and D3 for the NAIA
Gwynedd Mercy leaves the CSAC for the AEC
Illinois Tech joins the NACC
Immaculata leaves the CSAC for the AEC
Johnson and Wales (Col.) joins the SCAC (1st year provisional in 2018-19)
Maine-Presque Isle leaves the ACAA for the NAC
Marymount leaves the CAC for the AEC
Marywood leaves the CSAC for the AEC
Mount Ida closes and leaves the GNAC and D3
Neumann leaves the CSAC for the AEC
New England College leaves the NAC for the NECC
St. Joseph (Conn.) adds men's basketball in the GNAC
SUNY Canton leaves the ACAA for the NAC
Thomas More leaves the PAC for IND?
Wesley leaves the CAC for the AEC
Wheelock (NECC) discontinues athletics, school merges with Boston U
Wilson leaves the NEAC for the CSAC

Provisional Pipeline for 2018-2019
1st year provisional members: SUNY-Delhi, Johnson and Wales (Col.)
Exploratory: Bob Jones, Pratt, University of St Thomas (TX) (SCAC), Mississippi University for Women (no men's basketball players).

Conference Changes Starting in 2019-2020
St. Elizabeth leaves the NEAC for the CSAC

So, St. Joseph's (CT) is a full D3 member even though they are a first year men's program? Do they have any post season restrictions for the GNAC or NCAA?
I believe it solely depends on the institution's standing. If the school is a full member then any team is a full member even if it's the team's first season.
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

Pat Coleman

Yes, St. Joseph has been a member of Division III for years and any new sports they add carry that membership status.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Greek Tragedy

So is that ACAA still going to be around even though they don't even play a conference schedule?
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on July 02, 2018, 10:48:04 AM
So is that ACAA still going to be around even though they don't even play a conference schedule?

I believe they will exist as long as they want to exist.  I'm not sure they're going to be big enough for an AQ, though, so that might mean they don't last too long.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Yeah... NCAA may not be able to go back retroactively and deal with the ACAA... but I also have the same feeling as Ryan that this conference is never going to have enough solid numbers to maintain or earn an AQ.