Lacrosse

Started by drisclaw, July 03, 2011, 09:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vandy74

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 31, 2018, 12:04:16 PM
I've seen McGrath and a number of officials who do D1 games... at D3 games. Officiating being the cause or blame for a game... is lame and childish, in my opinion. Easy scapegoat for fans.

TCNJ and Middlebury have played each other numerous times and have a healthy, longstanding rivalry.  The Panthers, in fact, hold a 3-1 edge in title games.  In each case, the officials did nothing other than their job.  Last season it was Middlebury winning in regular season play.  This year, the Lions prevailed.  TCNJ won on Tuesday by a 10-6 margin.  'Nuff said.

Vandy74

The Lady Panthers outlasted Amherst this afternoon, winning by a score of 11-9.  It would be surprising if the two don't meet again at some point in the postseason.  It's good to see The Purple and The White back among the serious Nescac contenders.   Amherst FY Claire Dunbar scored 5 times and assisted twice in the hard fought losing effort.  If she doesn't have some All-America recognition in her future, I don't know who does. 

On the men's side it was Amherst totally dominating the fourth quarter for an 18-11 win over the visiting Panthers, upping their record to 8-1 on the season and remaining undefeated in conference play.

cmackowiakSGSN

Led by hungry senior Sea Gulls, Salisbury University WLAX is on an undefeated run that included a historic moment for their leader
https://t.co/5d10AuaaAo

Vandy74

Quote from: cmackowiakSGSN on April 02, 2018, 08:19:40 AM
Led by hungry senior Sea Gulls, Salisbury University WLAX is on an undefeated run that included a historic moment for their leader
https://t.co/5d10AuaaAo

Congratulations to Jim Nestor on winning his 300th game as HC of the Sea Gulls.  Since 2004 his teams have faced Middlebury seven times, losing only the first meeting by a score of 7-5.  In the Panthers' 16-2 2007 season, both losses were by a single goal at the hands of the Gulls.  Only the semifinal game in 2012 was won by more than 2 tallies.  The following year they ended Middlebury's season with a 8-7 semifinal victory.  Perhaps the rivalry can be renewed some time late in May, with a different outcome, of course. ;)

cmackowiakSGSN

#11 Salisbury MLAX is perfect at home but still looking for their first road win of the whole season. I recap their past two-game home stand and look ahead to their matchups at #17 CNU & vs. #5 Cabrini this week.

https://thesuflyer.com/2018/04/03/su-mlax-excelling-in-home-confines-of-sea-gull-stadium/

jknezek

I wonder with Lax Power giving up on anyone new joining their forums if we can capture that community on these boards? I don't post much about lax because while I always enjoyed watching, I never played the game, but it would be nice to see some chatter on these boards from a pretty fervent DIII fanbase.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: jknezek on April 04, 2018, 01:43:25 PM
I wonder with Lax Power giving up on anyone new joining their forums if we can capture that community on these boards? I don't post much about lax because while I always enjoyed watching, I never played the game, but it would be nice to see some chatter on these boards from a pretty fervent DIII fanbase.

I'd love to see a reason to start lax boards here officially... AND start d3lax.com (don't bother trying to register, folks, I've already claimed it among others)...

But need manpower to make it work...
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

amh63

Back again...watched a few minutes of lax after eye surgery on line.
Amherst men lost to no.4 Cardinals in Middletown 12 to 11.  Tough lost in an away game in a back and forth contest.  Williams up next.
Meanwhile at home, the women lax team beat the Cardinals in a game that was played in very windy conditions that impacted both teams...passing and turnovers.  Both teams are nationally ranked now with Amherst the higher ranked team presently.
Hannah Fox, the pg for the WBB team got into the game and picked up an assist and a point.  Getting adjusted to 'outdoor' conditions :).

amh63

Watched the men's and women's lax games online.  Men's game was on the lower field since the football field was being used by a track and field event.  Men's game was interesting in that the game was tied 2-2 early in the first period.  As expected the game was dominated by the LJs.
The women's game was up in Willytown and the ladies from Amherst won as expected.  Two interesting things to mention.  Leading EPH scorer had a goal removed due to an illegal stick.  The other was a mention by the announcers that some one at Amherst or the Nescac told them Not to mention the former...unofficial mascot.  The present one is the official mascot.  Seems the present administration is still sensitive about the uproar the mascot change made...by the old folks like me :).
Oh yes, my grammar is bad in my previous post here.  I did not have eye surgery on line :)

Vandy74

Things are really heating up on the women's side of the Nescac as we head into the final three league games of the season.  I missed the Colby Middlebury upset on Saturday.  Late fantasy baseball draft.  I looks like it was a good one to miss.  Nerve wracking.  Always playing catch up.  That pretty much makes the Panthers' matchup at home against Trinity a must win game if Middlebury hopes to host the conference championship weekend.  Tufts is still unbeaten in conference play and they host the Panthers' the following Saturday.  Tufts has beaten Trinity so the Middlebury game is equally as important to the Bantams.  Amherst, losers only to Middlebury, takes on Tufts with Trinity on the schedule two weeks later.   Anything can happen and it probably will.

amh63

Heard your request on the football board.  Yes, now I can drive on dark roads in the night...like the Taconic pkway ;D
Just saw the ending of the Amherst vs Tufts game at Tufts.  Amherst won the game in a slugfest of sorts with Amherst doing most of the damage ;).  Tufts is no longer undefeated!   
Now with respect to the ladies at home...Amherst won a close one 12-11 over Tufts.  Did not see that one.  Out shopping for new sunglasses and other chores.  It has been Summer weather and the lady of the house wants the yard freshen up, etc., etc.   Hannah Fox, the PG of the WBB team is settling in on the lax rotation.  Had two goals and three assist in the win over Tufts.  The Amherst Women Lax Team seems to have a lot of young players contributing Big! 
Nescac Tourny should be very competitive...assuming Amherst has clinched a spot now.

Vandy74

amh 63.....That's good to hear on the eye surgery.  I haven't driven the Parkway in five or six years now.  A scenic drive and wise to stay within the speed limit unless you feel the state of NY needs some of your money, is how I remember it. ;D

But on to lacrosse...the Nescac women lived up to their billing.  Amherst did indeed hand Tufts it's first defeat, as did the Amherst men.  Either they started the game early because of the weather or I had it confused with the MLAX start but I missed the MC-Trinity game.  The Panthers defeated the Bantams 14-8 on the strength of a 10-2 second half margin.  I did see the final ten minutes of Bowdoin's similar win over Wesleyan.  The Polar Bears have been playing some very good lacrosse lately.  I watched the final seven minutes of that one as they outscored the Cardinals 10-4 in the second half, winning 13-11, and staying in the hunt to play host in the quarterfinals.    Should Middlebury take down the Jumbos on Saturday, a win they'll need to host the championship weekend, the Polar Bears will control their own destiny the following Wednesday, assuming they take care of business against Williams four days earlier.  They will.  Since 5-3 Trinity ends their regular season against Amherst, Bowdoin's #4 seed ticket is punched regardless, if I've considered all the angles, which is nothing to bank on these days. ::)  Should Middlebury fall to Tufts then Amherst is in the driver's seat to host the championship round. 

On the men's side Middlebury remains undefeated in the month of April defeating Trinity 13-12.  While they jockey for position among the lower four tournament seeds, it was Amherst, as you reported, who won THE game of the day.  I did catch most of the nail-biting second half.  A 15-4 margin in the first half became a slim 16-14 lead with about four minutes remaining, but the LJs found their offense again going on to win it 20-16 and creating a three horse race to the finish along with also once beaten Wesleyan.  I wonder if Nescac lacrosse fans realize how spoiled they are, men's and women's.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Vandy74 on March 09, 2018, 05:33:20 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 09, 2018, 12:15:25 PM
Quote from: Vandy74 on March 08, 2018, 10:39:13 PM
Quote from: cmackowiakSGSN on March 07, 2018, 10:39:02 PM
While Salisbury men's lacrosse's offense has been a question mark this season, the Sea Gulls returned two veterans in middies Corey Gwin and Garrett Reynolds. Both players have sparked the offense at times when it's been stagnant. Here's an article I wrote for The Flyer and also Delmarvanow.com about Corey Gwin and his progression over his career.

https://thesuflyer.com/2018/03/07/eastern-shore-grit-spurs-gwin-to-success/

cmackowiakSGSN

An interesting article, and welcome to the board.  Gwin and Reynolds seem to be more than holding their own in the young season.  I'm more a fan of the women's game as are the few regular posters here, although amh63 keeps us up to date on both the Lord and Lady Jeffs and magicman occasionally posts on the Plattsburgh State Cardinals.  Middlebury is coming off a disappointing season, although they were playing some fine lacrosse toward the end, upsetting then undefeated Bates in the NESCAC semifinals and losing 9-8 to Wesleyan in the championship game.  I see the Panthers have a spring break road trip in two weeks to face Ohio Wesleyan's good buddy Denison.   Anyway, it's good to have someone here who's more focused on the men's game.  We hope you'll stick around.

My sister-in-law retired from the Middlebury coaching ranks, a few years back, without ever finding an answer to the Lady Gulls.  The six losses include two by a pair of goals and three others by only one, including two 8-7 defeats in the 2007 championship game and the 2013 semifinals.  She had much better luck against Gettysburg going 7-2.

Well now we can put two-and-two together (for those wondering why I have popped up, I follow/cover lacrosse, too). I believe I called her last game of her career? I have been on the call for a few DIII women's lacrosse championship weekends in my career.

That you did Dave.  It was a 19-8 spanking at the hands of the Cortland State juggernaut.  It was a semifinal match up in which the Panthers held a 4-0 lead ten minutes into the game. :(    You also called Middlebury's championship winning game the following season, the first with Kate Livesay at the helm.  I wish you'd handle the championship weekend commentary every year.  I've heard no one do it better.

Vandy... I've got good news for you ... your wish has been heard.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

amh63

Vandy74...you were kind in NOT pointing out the correct one goal difference in the Amherst win over Tufts...women lax.
In the recovery room after my second eye operation, was chatting with the nurse.  One of her two sons attends Salisbury Un.  Near Ocean City, Md....Hence the "beach bird" mascot. Topic quickly turned to Lax when I mentioned that I went to an Amherst vs. Sea Gull WLax game there.  Nurse was well aware of the Sea Gulls Fine lax programs.  A small world story!...in my mind :)

Vandy74

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on April 18, 2018, 01:35:16 PM
Quote from: Vandy74 on March 09, 2018, 05:33:20 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 09, 2018, 12:15:25 PM
Quote from: Vandy74 on March 08, 2018, 10:39:13 PM
Quote from: cmackowiakSGSN on March 07, 2018, 10:39:02 PM
While Salisbury men's lacrosse's offense has been a question mark this season, the Sea Gulls returned two veterans in middies Corey Gwin and Garrett Reynolds. Both players have sparked the offense at times when it's been stagnant. Here's an article I wrote for The Flyer and also Delmarvanow.com about Corey Gwin and his progression over his career.

https://thesuflyer.com/2018/03/07/eastern-shore-grit-spurs-gwin-to-success/

cmackowiakSGSN

An interesting article, and welcome to the board.  Gwin and Reynolds seem to be more than holding their own in the young season.  I'm more a fan of the women's game as are the few regular posters here, although amh63 keeps us up to date on both the Lord and Lady Jeffs and magicman occasionally posts on the Plattsburgh State Cardinals.  Middlebury is coming off a disappointing season, although they were playing some fine lacrosse toward the end, upsetting then undefeated Bates in the NESCAC semifinals and losing 9-8 to Wesleyan in the championship game.  I see the Panthers have a spring break road trip in two weeks to face Ohio Wesleyan's good buddy Denison.   Anyway, it's good to have someone here who's more focused on the men's game.  We hope you'll stick around.

My sister-in-law retired from the Middlebury coaching ranks, a few years back, without ever finding an answer to the Lady Gulls.  The six losses include two by a pair of goals and three others by only one, including two 8-7 defeats in the 2007 championship game and the 2013 semifinals.  She had much better luck against Gettysburg going 7-2.

Well now we can put two-and-two together (for those wondering why I have popped up, I follow/cover lacrosse, too). I believe I called her last game of her career? I have been on the call for a few DIII women's lacrosse championship weekends in my career.

That you did Dave.  It was a 19-8 spanking at the hands of the Cortland State juggernaut.  It was a semifinal match up in which the Panthers held a 4-0 lead ten minutes into the game. :(    You also called Middlebury's championship winning game the following season, the first with Kate Livesay at the helm.  I wish you'd handle the championship weekend commentary every year.  I've heard no one do it better.

Vandy... I've got good news for you ... your wish has been heard.

Dave,

People don't listen to me very often but it's good when they choose the right time to do it.  That is very good news.  Here's hoping that a 'CAC team is among the elite group you'll be covering.