MIAA (Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association)

Started by Flying Dutch Fan, September 17, 2013, 02:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flying Dutch Fan

Big match tonight as #5 Hope travels to Grand Rapids to face #1 Calvin.  I attended this same match last year and it was an awesome thing to see - looking forward to an electric atmosphere and a Hope win.
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

Roundball999

Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on September 17, 2013, 02:56:37 PM
Big match tonight as #5 Hope travels to Grand Rapids to face #1 Calvin.  I attended this same match last year and it was an awesome thing to see - looking forward to an electric atmosphere and a Hope win.

Wish I could be there.  Calvin had the edge last year but the matches with the Dutch were extremely competitive and well played and the atmosphere was fantastic.  I would expect the same tonight.

WLCALUM83

Check out the latest post on the AVCA D3 Top 25 board  (link will indicate there's a bit more on the line tonight.)

Dark Knight

Just before the match, Hope went up to #2 in the rankings, so the Calvin-Hope match was #1 vs. #2.

The atmosphere was indeed electric with 2100 people. The student section was packed and very loud. It was hard-fought and well-played. It felt like a tournament game.

Calvin ended up on top with a three-set win, the last set 28-26.

Dark Knight

According to Massey's computer rankings, Calvin's volleyball team would be #12 in D II. It would be #85 in D I, in the top quarter of D I teams.

Is there less of a difference between D I, D II, and D III in volleyball than in basketball or football? I can't imagine any D III basketball or football team better than three quarters of the D I teams.

Or maybe comparisons between divisions are inaccurate because there are so few inter-divisional games.

Flying Dutch Fan

Quote from: Dark Knight on September 23, 2013, 03:19:29 PM
According to Massey's computer rankings, Calvin's volleyball team would be #12 in D II. It would be #85 in D I, in the top quarter of D I teams.

Is there less of a difference between D I, D II, and D III in volleyball than in basketball or football? I can't imagine any D III basketball or football team better than three quarters of the D I teams.

Or maybe comparisons between divisions are inaccurate because there are so few inter-divisional games.

With basketball there are at least a few games every year between the divisions (at least on the men's side).  Last year there were 45 games between DI and DIII and 40 between DII and DIII.    Football - zero, volleyball ????

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

goodknight

Flying Dutch Fan

And the Flying Dutch are the 2014 National Champions!!!!!!

John Wooden

goodknight

WLCALUM83

Joining #14 Calvin at Alma in progress (Knights up 1 set to nil)
"When you come to the fork in the road, take it."

WLCALUM83

Final:  #14 Calvin over Alma in 3 sets:
                (25-22, 25-13, 25-18.)

Calvin:   Ga. Kellogg .474 hitting pct.
              Hall   .429 hitting pct.

WLCALUM83

WLCALUM83

Final:  Hope over Adrian in 3 sets:
             (25-20, 25-11. 25-23)

Hope:  .272 team hitting pct. for match.

WLCALUM83

Final:  #11 Calvin over Trine in 3 sets:
              (25-13, 25-15, 25-17)

Calvin:  .311 Team hitting pct. for the match.

WLCALUM83

2 of the 3 higher seeds advanced in opening round action this evening:

Higher seeds Hope and Albion both moved on after winning in 3 sets each.

#5 Seed Alma pulled a mild upset, knocking off #4 Seed Trine in a 5-setter.

Semis:

Calvin vs. Alma
Hope vs. Albion

WLCALUM83

Semi-Final Results:

#16 Hope over Albion in 3 sets:
         (25-23, 25-19, 25-15)

Hope;  .283 hitting pct. for match.  44 spike points (to Albion's 30).

#6 Calvin over Alma in 3 sets:
         (25-18 25-14, 30-28.)

Calvin:  .319 team hitting pct.  49 spike points (to Alma's 32).

The perrennial powers meet in yet another final. Calvin knocked off Hope in 3 sets during the regular season.     

WLCALUM83

Championship Final Result:  #16 Hope over #6 Calvin in 4 sets
                                            (16-25, 28-26, 25-17, 25-16.)

Hope:  14 total blocks (to Calvin's 3);
              Ligon .421 hitting pct.  3 other Dutch .267 or higher hitting pcts.

Calvin:  3 players with individual hitting pcts. in .308 - .444 hitting range.

Dutch get even after being beaten earlier this season.

It'll be interesting to see how much this result shakes up next week's Top 25 Poll.