Will Any D3 Players Land in the AAF?

Started by tweisman5, July 15, 2018, 03:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tweisman5

The Alliance of American Football (AAF) has just released details about how players will be allocated amongst the initial eight teams in the league.

Here is a Reddit with a breakdown of information released from AAF:
https://www.reddit.com/r/AAF_Football/comments/8yewvu/players_to_be_split_up_regionally_breakdown_inside/

A tweet from the AAF league page with detail of how the player allocation process works:
https://twitter.com/TheAAF/status/1017401274101166085
Go Mustangs!

ITH radio

I've noticed that so far they don't list any D3 schools, including UMHB, in any of their recent tweets reaching out to potential players. They specify obvious FBS schools (e.g., Texas for their San Antonio tryouts / apps, UF for their Orlando one, etc.) but don't seem to want to either allow, or include D3 grads yet. One caveat (or loophole I suppose, depending how you look at it) is that they do seem open to players with CFL / NFL experience, which obviously some former D3 players would have.
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

jknezek

It's a publicity thing. If you are trying to say "we are a real league with quality players and good football" then you play to public perception and try to get as many guys from big name schools as possible to put on the programs and lineup publicity. Especially the guys that had publicity because they were 5 star recruits or had a good season or a single spectacular moment that people saw. Name recognition is going to be more important than actual quality.

If you have a bunch of names from smaller schools, even if they are better players, the perception is that the league is small time. People will balk at paying to see it. That's what any start up league is facing. I'm willing to bet they actively shun smaller schools for the first couple seasons, assuming they last that long, unless their hands are forced.