WBB: GSAC

Started by coachwgh, November 09, 2005, 07:30:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcscotsguy

lagrange, huntingdon, and agnes scott's programs look like they're on the rise. But Piedmont really looks like the strongest team overall right now. I want my lady scots to put it to 'em...any chance Fowler can have them ready for that challenge? The GSAC has really evened out over the last few years...wow!

younglion52

that is true, except for wesleyan, no one is a push over... thats the way it should be.

mcscotsguy

yeah thats true...its more exciting to have a solid overall conference than one team dominating. I mean..i'd love to see those days come back around (being an MC fan) :) but they might have left town with bell. Guess the next 3 games for the ladies will show us alot. Good luck to the lady scots!

Big Dog

mcscotsguy,

The good times didn't leave with Bell, as he has taken two consecutive 30 point beatings in his last two games after the thumpings he endured as a Head Coach at Reinhardt last year. Hope that the underclassmen at MC continue to get opportunity and MC builds for the future in the program, as Piedmont will nail down the conference championship and NCAA berth this year as the Scots find their identity, and that looks to be a second place (at best) finish. Hopefully recruiting will be easier as playing opportunities should be abundant and we can return to brighter days next season when we have  addition by subtraction.

GottaHaveHeart

Quote from: Big Dog on January 23, 2008, 07:53:38 PM

The good times didn't leave with Bell, as he has taken two consecutive 30 point beatings in his last two games

How in the world did Dee Bell lose to the #4 ranked Div I NAIA team in the nation? Then to top it off, he also lost to the 2005 and 2006 Div I NAIA National Champion, 2007 Final Four team, who are presently ranked #1 in the Nation, 17-0, with a average margin of victory, over those other 16 teams, of 24 points? Fire the guy...he's no good!!! ;D ;D 

On a serious note, Huntingdon will be a good test for us on the rebounding, but MC should pull away after awhile. Spelman should be a game for Fowler to maybe rest some players and give others some floor time. Next test should be Piedmont.....they should be rested.....they will be ready. 

Big Dog

On Bell's record, I forgot to mention his convincing wins over Oakwood College. Won't be surprised if he is not available to head back to Maryville and  reestablishing himself after starting a bounce around mode.

MCScotsFan

Coach Bell can bounce back to MC any day in my book.

batteredbard

Or maybe Raul can jump from G-P head coach to the college game 8)

But on a more realistic note, do some comparison. Where is MC weakest offensively? At the guards. Strongest? post. Defenses focus on post no answer from outside to counter act that without moving one of those posts to the perimeter, which isnt a true win win.

I'm not knocking the wings and guards but compared to the talent level that has been there in the past its not a strong team by MC standard. Just looking the past two seasons, you had a very solid distributor at point in Reed, for a season there was a strong shooting and passing presence with Plemons, one of the best 3-point shooters in the nation with Dalton, one of the quickest 2 guards in the region with Uner. When dalton's touch slumped (perhaps from exhaustion) late last year MC was mortal even with Reed and Uner. I haven't seen guard play offensively that is on that level from this squad. Brown has some speed in transition but her decision making at full tilt isn't yet where it can be.

That said defense is improving but to play as aggressive as Wilson likes you need 1) the players o buy into that system, 2) a deep bench to absorb fouls and rest legs 3) that bench still able to carry some offensive load. e lack of outside presence trickles down into everything.

As for the assistant movement that comment came out before the teams went to LaGrange together. Maybe Lambert saw something that persuaded him to wait or take a different tack, maybe it was discussed and a verdict reached against, maybe RdL didn't want to mess with the men's team mojo in anyway with them rolling.

And I don't blame the women, (high school teams are girls, college - they are women wether everyone acts like it or not is a different story) for a lacking outside. As much as I like Dee Bell teams and like the guy personally he robbed East Tenn blind recruiting with scholarship money. Not only did he take some good players who might have gone MC's way (and probably would have if he'd been working them for his alma mater instead) from an area Reinhardt wasn't a factor in before but the trickle down from schools that really depend on the talent pool here probably cost Scots at least one very solid guard who got athletic money to go elsewhere.

Piedmont posters don't let the MC flavor run you off. You are a welcome addition to a thread that's been one side dominated too long and the less for it. Now if we can only find folks from the rest of the schools to show up more often with input.

PS BigDog If you take the time to read other conference boards, not only do you see parents posting quite often but in some cases athletic staff as well. Do your research before you start randomly slamming. Its a conversation, dysfunctional as it may be, not a brawl at the Bullpen.
"Do the write thing."

MCScotsFan

Hey, I'd take Raul. The girls had a great season with him helping. He's done an excellent job at G-P. In fact, I think when they were lookingat Pardue there were players hoping for Raul. of course, maybe they just wanted to stick with who they new at that point.

Since we've gone this far, what about Spencer? He's a cool person and great coach.
Maybe they'll be looking for a woman this time. If they could find another class act like Kandis Schram that would be a huge plus.

We'll just have to wait and see, I guess.

Looking forward to tommorow's game to see what they look like comapred to the last time I saw them play (which was 1st home game w/o Pardue).

GottaHaveHeart

Mel was a proven defender and scorer, and Dee got Alex for her ability to pressure the ball and shoot the 3. Losing Mel and with Alex not being completely healthy, definitely has hurt our depth, as well as our pressure defense ability and outside scoring.

I think Fowler deserves a shot. Things looking a whole lot better already. I'm anxious to see what we look like tomorrow after him having a whole week to work with the team.

MCScotsFan

;D I'm with ya! If Brian Fowler can do the job, I'm with him all the way. I want whatever is best for the WOMEN (I've probably been the one calling them girl cause their so darn young.  ;) )

Go Lady Scots!! Beat Huntington!!

Big Dog

Batter Bard,

Thanks for your kind words. Saying you would take Raul helps eliminate your credibiity but your interest in standing up for an adult posting her opinions about coaches and their abilities is comparable to coaches posting their opinions regarding how pathetic and awful the Lady Scots and their lack of committment have allowed their program to become, because in reality you too believe that to be true, just like Gotta Have Heart. Maybe you will realize that building a program is more important than building a team, and sacrificing these last games and sitting the upperclassmen is the best way to return the program to its rightful owners, those who play hard and work hard. This board still acts as if coaching is the save all, and its not. These players aren't tough enough to overcome the cliques that make them so weak as a unit, and not mentally tough enough to overcome being exactly what they are, and that is just an average basketball team.

GottaHaveHeart

Well, we got a ugly win. I was kind of disappointed in the way we played tonight after showing signs of improvement the last two games. 20 turnovers, gave up 26 offensive rebounds. Way too many coast to coast layups given up. Guard penetration still hurting us. Hearing "HELP" in the stands way too much. Dalton had a good shooting night. Katie did great on the boards as usual. Natalie played in spirts, ended up with nice numbers. I hope he rests Alison against Spelman, shouldn't need her and its obvious her back is a issue that can linger. We need her totally healthy. We have got to find a outside shooter. I think the word is out. They were triple teaming our posts at times tonight, just giving us the outside shot. Maybe Fowler should addition for a outside shooter, from the bench, (Robin, Alexis, Alex) against Spelman. Run some plays for outside shots only. I don't think it is going to do us much good to pound it inside, over and over and score at will, when the top teams in our conference that will test us, are not going to let us do that, we will be facing zones.

We will have to play better than we did tonight to beat Piedmont.

Big Dog

Good analysis Gotta Have Heart,

We are an average basketball team. Dalton's shooting saved us from the lethargic and unspirited play. With Saxe shooting 40% from point blank pounding it inside, even against the teams that can't line up straight, and your assessment of Natalie playing in spirts, makes you wander if this team has packed it in and caved in to the general assessment from the stands that they as a group are much less than the sum of their parts. Don't buy into they have all of this talent, as a juco transfer bailed them out today and kept them from suffering an emabarassing defeat to another AVERAGE team. Maybe the losses mounting up under Pardue were a reflection that we were playing people a lot better than Spelman.

mcscotsguy

Ok so seems like everybody thinks they know whats best for this lady scots team. Average by who's standards? By the standard that Bell set? Because we didnt win conference last year either...played an easier schedule and weren't called "average". Obviously the schedule has been tougher this season but even if the ladies are squeeking out wins...they're still 4-1 in conference. How bout giving some credit to the other programs No 26 offensive boards is bad to say the least...but our girls still found a way to win the game. And who cares who steps up to help lead us to a win...it doesnt have to be saxe or munday. Dalton played a great game and deserves credit for that. This team has been looking for outside presence all season and if memory serves me correctly, they have shot it better as of late than they did at any point this year.
(40+ % from 3 tonight)

As for "auditioning" for a 3 point shooter...why would it be a green freshman or an inexperienced sophomore?? This squad has needed leadership all year long..just hasnt found it yet. And anybody who says this team doesnt have any talent...well you just dont know talent. Chemistry is the word you're looking for there. This team is building after pardue's departure..but i'm in agreement they need some more work. No need to be upset about a 3 game win streak. Spelman wont be a push over...from what i understand they've played with the teams in this conference this year also. Lets reserve our judgement and see how this team handles peidmont. Congrats on the win ladies! keep it going!