FB: Centennial Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:07:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider 68

Thoughts and prayers for the JHU and Margraff family.
13 time Division III National Champions

Ralph Turner

Condolences to the JHU family!

SaintsFAN

Just awful news.  Condolences to the JHU Community and the Margraff family. 
AMC Champs: 1991-1992-1993-1994-1995
HCAC Champs: 2000, 2001
PAC Champs:  2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Bridge Bowl Champs:  1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-2002-2003-2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 (SERIES OVER)
Undefeated: 1991, 1995, 2001, 2009, 2010, 2015
Instances where MSJ quit the Bridge Bowl:  2

Mr. Ypsi

A heartfelt tribute to Coach Margraff in a location you might not otherwise run across - The Detroit Free Press!  A sportswriter there has a son who is a freshman on the JHU football team.  Go to freep.com.

Teamski

A bit belated, but my sincere condolences to the Margraff family, players and fans of John Hopkins football.  We here at Wesley know exactly the pain you are going through and those of us who felt the loss of our own Coach Mike Drass understand the shock and sadness you are going through right now.  Keep the faith and know that Coach Margraff's spirit is imbued in the soul of John Hopkins football and Division III as a whole.  He will not be forgotten.

-Ski
Wesley College Football.... A Winning Tradition! A Coach Mike Drass Legacy.

The Mole

Making another attempt to try and revive this thread

Looks like another very competitive season for the CC

Susquehanna takes down Hopkins for the 2nd year in a row, they get Muhlenberg this week and then F&M the following week--no favors with that schedule. All conference contenders.
Ursinus has their QB back and will also be dangerous and Dickinson and McDaniel both continue to improve. Moravian has started out slow, but could be dangerous. Gettysburg and Juniata continue to struggle, hopefully they can make some progress but it won't be easy in this league.

One loss champion is likely, but with 5 Pool C bids, a second like The Mules last year might be a stretch. Strap in for a bumpy and exciting ride!
TAKE THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED

Pat Coleman

Susquehanna has to learn from last year, where they beat JHU but then couldn't maintain that. I suspect that will be an issue with some voters this week, for example.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

The Mole

Quote from: Pat Coleman on September 15, 2019, 04:02:24 PM
Susquehanna has to learn from last year, where they beat JHU but then couldn't maintain that. I suspect that will be an issue with some voters this week, for example.

No doubt, Pat. The league has become much more difficult top to bottom. The Susquehanna loss to Moravian last year as a prime example. Does only one non conference game (usually against MAC teams) hurt overall SOS as they beat each other up?

Pat Coleman

It does hurt overall SOS -- beating each other up, however, doesn't have any effect on the SOS. All of the conference games balance out.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

MRMIKESMITH

Can we have three teams at 9-1 this year?

The Mole

Quote from: MANDGSU on September 16, 2019, 02:16:33 PM
Can we have three teams at 9-1 this year?

Great question, I think it is possible but I am not a stats/probability expert. I need some algebra help here, but with 10 teams and 90 league games--45 wins and 45 losses in CC play. You could have 3 teams 8-1 in league play with a team at 6-3 losing to all them but beating everyone below that....someone check me on this, I am way out of my element and competency....

Example

Hopkins 8-1/9-1(L to Sus)
Sus 8-1/9-1 (L to Muhl)
Muhl 8-1/9-1(L to Hopkins)
F&M 6-3/7-3 (L to the 3 above beat Leb Val)
Dickinson 3-6/4-6 (beat W&L)
Moravian 3-6/3-7 (loss to Kings)
Ursinus 3-6/4-6 (beat Bethany)
McDaniel 3-6/4-6 (beat Misericordia)
Gettysburg 3-6/3-7 (loss to Bridgewater)
Juniata 0-9/0-10 (loss to Grove City)

Who knows?

Ralph Turner

What is the Centennial tie-breaker?

The Mole

Quote from: Ralph Turner on September 16, 2019, 08:43:25 PM

http://www.centennial.org/Manual/2019-20/sports/Football.pdf

Section IV - Rules Governing Championship
A. Determining the Conference Champion. The Conference champion will be based on the best won-lost record in a single roundrobin season.
B. Ties for First Place. In case of a tie for first place at the conclusion of the regular season, multiple champions will be named.
C. Determining the NCAA Tournament Representative
1. Head-to-Head competition;
2. Results against 3rd place team, 4th place team, etc. until tie is broken;
3. Strength-of-schedule criteria, as determined by the NCAA Championships Committee formula, for all games;
• Opponents' Average Winning Percentage (OWP)
• Opponents' Opponents' Average Winning Percentage (OOWP)
Opponents' Average Winning Percentage (OWP). Take each opponent's regular won-lost percentage against other Division III teams
(excluding the results against the team in question) and average the percentages. To calculate: Team A Schedule is as follows:

wally_wabash

Quote from: The Mole on September 16, 2019, 09:00:21 PM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on September 16, 2019, 08:43:25 PM

http://www.centennial.org/Manual/2019-20/sports/Football.pdf

Section IV - Rules Governing Championship
A. Determining the Conference Champion. The Conference champion will be based on the best won-lost record in a single roundrobin season.
B. Ties for First Place. In case of a tie for first place at the conclusion of the regular season, multiple champions will be named.
C. Determining the NCAA Tournament Representative
1. Head-to-Head competition;
2. Results against 3rd place team, 4th place team, etc. until tie is broken;
3. Strength-of-schedule criteria, as determined by the NCAA Championships Committee formula, for all games;
• Opponents' Average Winning Percentage (OWP)
• Opponents' Opponents' Average Winning Percentage (OOWP)
Opponents' Average Winning Percentage (OWP). Take each opponent's regular won-lost percentage against other Division III teams
(excluding the results against the team in question) and average the percentages. To calculate: Team A Schedule is as follows:

The ODAC can be weird so nothing is certain here, but on the surface this would seem to favor Hopkins as Randolph Macon is likely going to have a better W/L year than Lycoming or TCNJ. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Ralph Turner