MBB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by miac newbie, February 17, 2005, 03:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoldandBlueBU

Quote from: txg on February 13, 2018, 09:46:45 AM
Quote from: txg on February 12, 2018, 12:40:48 PM
I won't do all the other scenarios, but I think the 4 way tie shakes out as follows.  All the teams would be 3-3 in that group.  Tommies would get third by virtue of beating St John's.  Then you look at the remaining three teams and Carleton gets fourth due to sweeping Augsburg.

Now that I look at the tiebreakers, after head-to-head you look at combined record against teams above.  So UST third 2-2, Bethel sixth 0-4, Carleton fourth 1-3 and swept Augsburg, and Augsburg fifth.  I originally had Bethel fifth.

"This is very interesting and valuable" said no one.

Thanks - I think it is both.  Shows how much BU's game against Carleton on Saturday is worth.  And how they would've locked up 3rd place by hanging on against SJU a couple of weeks back.

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

txg

Carleton knocks off St. Olaf and now control their own destiny to host a playoff game.

If Bethel beats Carleton it goes Bethel - Augsburg - UST - Carleton.  If Tommies beat Johnnies they lose the tiebreaker with Augsburg and if they lose they win the tiebreaker with Carleton.

If Carleton wins, then if UST wins I believe it goes UST - Carleton - Augsburg - Bethel.  This is the four-way tie scenario discussed earlier.

If Carleton wins and UST loses then it goes Carleton - Bethel - Augsburg - UST.  Three-way tie among those first three and Carleton swept Augsburg while Bethel will have split with both.

Just Bill

Get ready for additional name confusion and states listed in parentheses...

The University of St Thomas in Houston is joining D3 and the SCAC. 

http://www.ustcelts.com/article/934.php

Wheaton (Mass.) and Wheaton (Ill.) and all the Concordias welcome St. Thomas (Minn.) and St. Thomas (Tex.) to the club.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

GoldandBlueBU

Quote from: txg on February 15, 2018, 09:51:25 AM
Carleton knocks off St. Olaf and now control their own destiny to host a playoff game.

If Bethel beats Carleton it goes Bethel - Augsburg - UST - Carleton.  If Tommies beat Johnnies they lose the tiebreaker with Augsburg and if they lose they win the tiebreaker with Carleton.

If Carleton wins, then if UST wins I believe it goes UST - Carleton - Augsburg - Bethel.  This is the four-way tie scenario discussed earlier.

If Carleton wins and UST loses then it goes Carleton - Bethel - Augsburg - UST.  Three-way tie among those first three and Carleton swept Augsburg while Bethel will have split with both.

Saturday's game will be interesting, as both BU and Carl will have a lot to play for, since a BU win locks them in at third and a home playoff game.

faunch

NICE JOB U$T Bet you wish you had played St. Mary's again today!

"I'm a uniter...not a divider."

SUMMIT!!!!!

Some notes/thoughts  to get everyone in the playoff state of mind:

*Since the playoff field was expanded to 6 teams in 2001-- the #3, #5 and #6 seeds have never won a tourney. In fact, the #6 seed has never reached the title game- this does not bode well for Carleton.  The #5 seed  has only reached the final once--a bad omen for UST. The #3 seed has made the final just twice and the #4 seed made it that far three times, winning it once (Carleton in 2010).

* The #2 seed has won the last two titles, three of the past four and four of the last seven-- this portents well for St Olaf

*SJU was the #1 seed the first year of a 6-team tourney (the only time the Jays have been the top seed) and beat GAC for the crown (a good sign for the Johnnies). It was also the last time SJU was the top seed.

*Augsburg is the only one of this year's entrants to never win the MIAC Playoff in either the 4 or 6 team format. They were runners-up in 1999 and 2013

My pick to wear the crown after Sundays game--- St Olaf.  SJU will get an at-large berth in the NCAA field.   
After the game, the king and pawn go into the same box.

Italian proverb

faunch

Quote from: miacmaniac on February 18, 2018, 10:04:01 PM

*Since the playoff field was expanded to 6 teams in 2001-- the #3, #5 and #6 seeds have never won a tourney. In fact, the #6 seed has never reached the title game- this does not bode well for Carleton.  The #5 seed  has only reached the final once--a bad omen for UST. The #3 seed has made the final just twice and the #4 seed made it that far three times, winning it once (Carleton in 2010).

* The #2 seed has won the last two titles, three of the past four and four of the last seven-- this portents well for St Olaf

*SJU was the #1 seed the first year of a 6-team tourney (the only time the Jays have been the top seed) and beat GAC for the crown (a good sign for the Johnnies). It was also the last time SJU was the top seed.

*Augsburg is the only one of this year's entrants to never win the MIAC Playoff in either the 4 or 6 team format. They were runners-up in 1999 and 2013

My pick to wear the crown after Sundays game--- St Olaf.  SJU will get an at-large berth in the NCAA field.   

I'll go on record saying that I hate that a tourney champ gets an automatic bid...especially in D3 and when the regular season champ has only 1 conference loss. What's the point of having a regular season?

"I'm a uniter...not a divider."

Smitty Oom

Quote from: faunch on February 18, 2018, 11:16:10 PM

I'll go on record saying that I hate that a tourney champ gets an automatic bid...especially in D3 and when the regular season champ has only 1 conference loss. What's the point of having a regular season?

St. John's is basically locked in for an at large bid no matter what happens during the playoffs. They are also sitting pretty for hosting a pod the first weekend, which I am personally rooting for so I can make the trip up to Collegeville and watch some d3 march madness.

St. Olaf is also looking very good for an at large berth should they not win the title. A fellow poster has them projected at a 81% chance to make the NCAA tourney should they lose in the semis and a 99% chance should they lose in the finals. He does great work, here is a link to his site: http://www.fantastic50.net/d3h_men.html

This means that If a team other than STO or SJU wins the MIAC AQ we could be looking at 3 (!!!) teams in the tournament. So here is to you Carleton, be our first 6 seed to snag the playoff championship!

I'll take SJU to win it as they are undefeated at Sexton Arena this year, despite the fact I don't think they are playing their best basketball right now. But with the Johnnies that can turnaround real quick with the talent they have on their roster.

GoldandBlueBU

I like the conference tourney auto bid format.  It's a fun angle to the end of the season, and IMO, the regular season still has loads of value - you have to have a decent year to make the conference playoffs in the first place, and as Smitty pointed out, SJU could lose the first game and still be in the NCAA's based on their regular season - so it's not like they're going to get cheated out of a spot just because someone might knock them off in the conference tournament.

I think they'll win it, regardless.  I think the Augsburg-UST matchup should be a good one to watch in the first round...not sure what to make of BU this year.  They're solid for stretches, and then turn in a couple of clunkers, so we'll see which version shows up for the playoffs.

SUMMIT!!!!!

I'm sure the NCAA will change its policy at all levels and conferences will lose the cash cow known as league tourneys after finding out that a Johnnie alum hates it. ... funny how for the past 16 seasons when SJU needed to win the conference tourney to make the NCAA field, you had no objection :)

I think the league tourney is a great tune-up for the NCAA tourney. If you're in a position where you're virtually in the NCAA field regardless of league (like SJU is this year and UST has been most of the past 15 years), it gives you a chance to adapt to the pressure of one-and-done. It also builds enthusiasm among the fan base.

Quote from: Smitty Oom on February 19, 2018, 09:15:54 AM

St. Olaf is also looking very good for an at large birth should they not win the title. A fellow poster has them projected at a 81% chance to make the NCAA tourney should they lose in the semis and a 99% chance should they lose in the semis. He does great work, here is a link to his site: http://www.fantastic50.net/d3h_men.html

I'm assuming you meant a 99% chance should they lose the final.... I also hope their labor is short and they survive the delivery as I'd hate for them to miss out on their playoff berth due to child-birth  ;D (please note a ton of sarcasm here)

The only flaw with the league tourney in my opinion is that fans have to choose which of two great games to attend on the nights of quarterfinals and semifinals. I plan to be in the bleachers at Si Melby with the webcast from Bethel streaming on my device
After the game, the king and pawn go into the same box.

Italian proverb

Smitty Oom

Quote from: miacmaniac on February 19, 2018, 11:12:19 AM
Quote from: Smitty Oom on February 19, 2018, 09:15:54 AM

St. Olaf is also looking very good for an at large birth should they not win the title. A fellow poster has them projected at a 81% chance to make the NCAA tourney should they lose in the semis and a 99% chance should they lose in the semis. He does great work, here is a link to his site: http://www.fantastic50.net/d3h_men.html

I'm assuming you meant a 99% chance should they lose the final.... I also hope their labor is short and they survive the delivery as I'd hate for them to miss out on their playoff berth due to child-birth  ;D (please note a ton of sarcasm here)

The only flaw with the league tourney in my opinion is that fans have to choose which of two great games to attend on the nights of quarterfinals and semifinals. I plan to be in the bleachers at Si Melby with the webcast from Bethel streaming on my device

Yeah you are right on both fronts. Thanks, I corrected my post!  :)

txg

I'll go with Bethel over Carleton and Augsburg over UST in the first round.  Bethel and Johnnies in the semis, and St. John's to take the title.

If Oles can beat Bethel they should be in.  If not, white knuckle time.  One thing that might help is that a win over St. Olaf could get Bethel into the regional rankings (they must be close to it now), which would give the Oles 2 more wins against RRO.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The NCAA men's basketball regional advisory committees released their third set of rankings, and as expected, the Atlantic Region was among those getting shuffled. Here's the full list: http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2018/02/men-regional-rankings-third

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

GoldandBlueBU

Well, it took them awhile to figure it out, but BU eventually was able to close out Carleton, and move on to a date with the Oles on Friday.  I was a little concerned for the Royals, as Carleton is not a bad team, and knocking them off 3 times in one season wasn't going to be easy.

Hopefully Bethel can give St. Olaf a good challenge on Friday.

Congrats to Kevin Grow on a great career.  He has had quite the evolution - I recall him getting pushed around as a skinny and not very strong freshman, but he got stronger and improved his game every year.  Unfortunately, Carleton didn't really ever have a great cast around him.

Interested to see if Augsburg can find a way to get after SJU - given two (relatively) sound defeats of 10 and 12 points in the regular season.