FB: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emma17

It sometimes seems there are people on the D3 boards that must have a conspiracy, or they have a burning desire to point out some splinter in the opponent's eye. To find "the" advantage that explains why the opponent is having success.

If you'd "love to see the roster/academic eligibility list", don't post, go investigate. Call the school. Do whatever it is you need to do to satisfy the curiosity you have.

When I coached youth football I grew sick and tired of fellow coaches and parents telling me the other team had too many "older lighters". "Of course they are good, look at all those 8th graders playing on the 7th grade team, they have an advantage." I've done the best I could in my life to discard the word unfair. 

Ooooh, did you hear that private universities give giant grants to entice athletes?
Ooooh, look at all those FL and southern kids Mt has on their team, I wonder how they can afford that high private tuition?

merlecanlas

Quote from: emma17 on December 07, 2017, 06:59:58 PM
It sometimes seems there are people on the D3 boards that must have a conspiracy, or they have a burning desire to point out some splinter in the opponent's eye. To find "the" advantage that explains why the opponent is having success.

If you'd "love to see the roster/academic eligibility list", don't post, go investigate. Call the school. Do whatever it is you need to do to satisfy the curiosity you have.

When I coached youth football I grew sick and tired of fellow coaches and parents telling me the other team had too many "older lighters". "Of course they are good, look at all those 8th graders playing on the 7th grade team, they have an advantage." I've done the best I could in my life to discard the word unfair. 

Ooooh, did you hear that private universities give giant grants to entice athletes?
Ooooh, look at all those FL and southern kids Mt has on their team, I wonder how they can afford that high private tuition?

I can't imagine that is code for anything.  This will end well  ::)

emma17

QuoteOne significant difference I've noticed compared to the great UWW teams is pass rush. UWO ranks 7th in the WIAC in sacks this year.

UWO often rushes three or sometimes two guys. It's understandable they won't have a bunch of sacks. UWW almost always played with a 4-man D line, and they had talent too, so naturally there were more sacks.

QuoteThe current UW-W team (much maligned on these boards)
Bleed, it's not the team that's maligned, it's the coaching. I get you may think it's one in the same. But to some, there is a large, huge, enormous difference.

Whether UWO wins the Stagg has no bearing to me as to whether they "are there yet". They are absolutely there. They could win Saturday and perhaps end up facing the toughest D3 defense there is/ever was (I'm not saying they are or aren't, I'm simply saying there are variables) and lose; they are still there.

It's ok to have a great UWO and a great UWW, really, it's ok.

WRMUalum13

I'm trying to defend UWO, I'm saying the grey shirt thing is just practical and everyone in d3 would do it if they could. It does give UWO an advantage but every school has its own advantages. I'm trying to say this isn't some conspiracy by UWO, it's a result of several factors, limited roster, financial feasibility etc.

emma17

Quote from: merlecanlas on December 07, 2017, 07:07:11 PM

Honestly it isn't code for anything because I can care less if Mt or any school uses endowment money to help student-athletes in financial need. It's all within the rules and that's what matters. I bring up Mt and FL kids only as an example of how easy it is to look for reasons why someone else is doing so well.

UWO and Mt have had tremendous seasons and are on tremendous runs, that's the discussion we should be having.

skunks_sidekick

You all are missing the greatest conspiracy in all of D-III.  It's called the "Kehres Conspiracy".  Look it up...it's a thing.   ;D 8-)

emma17

Good point, it seems just a bit peculiar that every national title won by Mt occurred when there was a coach with the last name Kehres. 
Strange happenings.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: WRMUalum13 on December 07, 2017, 06:43:24 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on December 07, 2017, 06:23:29 PM
For your calculations, WRMUalum13: You only need to enroll in one extra semester to participate in a fall sport.

Thanks Pat, good point, okay $4,000 vs $14,500

however if you include room and board, realistically an extra semester at each school would be closer to $8,000 and $28,000 respectively

So, a semester of room and board is $4,000 in Oshkosh, but $13,500 in Alliance??  When did Alliance become San Francisco?! :o ;D 

WRMUalum13

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on December 07, 2017, 07:36:32 PM
Quote from: WRMUalum13 on December 07, 2017, 06:43:24 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on December 07, 2017, 06:23:29 PM
For your calculations, WRMUalum13: You only need to enroll in one extra semester to participate in a fall sport.

Thanks Pat, good point, okay $4,000 vs $14,500

however if you include room and board, realistically an extra semester at each school would be closer to $8,000 and $28,000 respectively

So, a semester of room and board is $4,000 in Oshkosh, but $13,500 in Alliance??  When did Alliance become San Francisco?! :o ;D

LOL, I certainly didn't graduate Mount with a math degree :P must have added the full year room and. Board

merlecanlas

Quote from: emma17 on December 07, 2017, 07:16:25 PM
Quote from: merlecanlas on December 07, 2017, 07:07:11 PM

Honestly it isn't code for anything because I can care less if Mt or any school uses endowment money to help student-athletes in financial need. It's all within the rules and that's what matters. I bring up Mt and FL kids only as an example of how easy it is to look for reasons why someone else is doing so well.

UWO and Mt have had tremendous seasons and are on tremendous runs, that's the discussion we should be having.

what's your prediction for Saturday my man?

bleedpurple

Quote from: emma17 on December 07, 2017, 07:11:15 PM
Whether UWO wins the Stagg has no bearing to me as to whether they "are there yet". They are absolutely there. They could win Saturday and perhaps end up facing the toughest D3 defense there is/ever was (I'm not saying they are or aren't, I'm simply saying there are variables) and lose; they are still there.

I was not referring as your definition of "there". As I posted, I was referring to posts that i inferred to mean that UW-0 is the equal of UW-W teams that won national championships. I think in a sense, UW-0's national perception is enhanced by UW-W's success over the years. Sort of like, "Oh, UW-0 is the new UW-W".  That is what I was addressing and no they are not.  That is giving the Titans a benefit of the doubt they have not earned. 

Before 2012, I have no idea when UW-0 even made the playoffs
2012-Semi's
2013- No Playoffs
2014- No Playoffs
2015- Quarters
2016- Lost in Stagg Bowl
2017- At least Semi's

Nice run, but it ain't exactly the same as winning National Championships in 5 of 6 years. I'm not even sure UW-0 has EVER won two WIAC Championships in a row, have they? They are good. I have respect for them. I just think that some people might perceive them to have accomplished more than they actually have. And I just can't let that happen.   ;) 

Show me the Walnut and Bronze. 

Pat Coleman

Quote from: bleedpurple on December 08, 2017, 12:55:24 AM

It took UWW a couple of Stagg Bowls to win one, too, so perhaps it'll come.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

D O.C.

Is now a good time to ask if Levell got his degree?

bleedpurple

Quote from: Pat Coleman on December 08, 2017, 01:36:46 AM
Quote from: bleedpurple on December 08, 2017, 12:55:24 AM

It took UWW a couple of Stagg Bowls to win one, too, so perhaps it'll come.

Perhaps. And then the comparison at least makes some semblance of sense. In the meantime, Their national success probably most closely mirrors St. Thomas (without the conference domination).

bleedpurple

Quote from: D O.C. on December 08, 2017, 01:38:57 AM
Is now a good time to ask if Levell got his degree?

You are Rainman. Levell is your Wapner.