Pool B

Started by Ralph Turner, October 01, 2005, 02:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K-Mack

Quote from: Bob.Gregg on October 19, 2005, 04:41:39 PM
W&J & Whitworth are vying for inclusion in Pool B (four spots), then if not successful, for inclusion in Pool C (seven additional spots).

That's all.  Perhaps I misread your post.

You and I are saying the same thing.

Perhaps I'm confusing because I refer to teams as from Pool B or Pool C leagues ... you seem to be saying the four bids are Pool B, then the next seven are Pool C.

Regardless, we both mean the same thing.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

Ralph Turner

Quoteinkman

Re: Atlantic Central Football Conference/Independents
« Reply #585 on: Today at 03:06:59 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
47-0 final.  Monkey stomp.   

Brockport defeated Wesley today.  Luvapontiac described it as "an old fashioned butt whippin going on up in NY!"

Hawks88

I would like to go ahead and thank Brockport for giving Huntingdon a little Pool B help today.

repete

KMack, Bob Gregg:

If the runner-up from the Midwest Conference gets in as a Pool C, then the playoffs are too big at 32  . . .

Ralph Turner

1) Linfield--rolling
2) Thiel--rolling
3) W&J--rolling
4) ACFC winner (Salisbury vs Wesley)  Salisbury could finish undefeated in the South Region.  That is probably best for everyone else.  Today's Wesley loss is not "in-Region" but it certainly hurt comparing it as a common opponent vis-a-vis Salisbury.

5) Huntingdon--probably contending for the 7th Pool C bid, especially if Trinity is the #1 South Region seed.  I wish they had played Thomas More!

6) ACFC loser, especially if it is Wesley.

7)  Willamette/Whitworth--Face off on Nov 5th.  Lewis & Clark cancelation hurts!

ktroutvon

Ralph,

Should pool A schools with an outside shot at a second, pool C bid start looking at fringe pool B teams?  I'm not clear on the evaluation that would move a pool B school to pool C.

I'm sure that it is in FAQ, but I'm also conviced that you could explain it better.

gordonmann

Ktroutvon:

I'm assuming you meant "should pool A conferences...," not pool A schools.  Pool A schools can start making plans for the postseason and stay above the fray. :)

The short answer is, yes, fans hoping for a Pool C bid -- such as those in the Liberty League -- would be wise to monitor the Pool B scenario as well.

The process by which a B team becomes a C team is pretty simple.  The NCAA Selection picks four Pool B teams for the playoffs and all the others are lumped in with the Pool C candidates.  Essentially you've got Pool B remainders + Pool C Contenders for 7 spots.

As Ralph indicated below, two of the Pool B teams below could finish undefeated -- that's as close as they get to an automatic bid.  Unless they are defending national champs, too. :)

Four more could finish with one loss by winning out -- W&J, Salisbury/Wesley, Huntingdon and Whitworth. 

Willamette also has one loss since the non-D3 games and UMHB result don't count in the committee's eyes.  But Willamette has to play Linfield and Whitworth.

Then you have the Salisbury/Wesley loser with two loses.

ktroutvon

Thanks. 

It seems as though Pool C could end up being a little chaotic then.  Pool B schools seem to almost have an advantage in that they play less conference games and get more opportunities against schools from other conferences (assuming they win those games).

Ralph Turner

Ktroutvon:  Gordon is correct!  Bob Gregg is the first one that I recall talking about a "Pool B" team getting a "Pool C" bid.

The access ration that allocates the bids is quite equitable.

The NCAA has divided the number of Pool A conference members by the number of Pool A conferences (21) to get an access ratio.  The NCAA divides that number into the Pool B Conference members and true independents, as if it were one giant conference, and has determined that 4 bids is the correct number.

Everyone else is trying for the 7 remaining at large.

Ralph Turner

Ktroutvon, welcome to D3football.com!

The next 3 weeks are when this really gets fun. :)

The B's are a source of aggravaton for some, but this year, the teams have done what they needed to do.  The extra playoff slots will alleiviate the perceived disparity between the last (7th) Pool A/C and the 4th Pool B bid.

The fact that the Northwest Conference (with 2 Stagg titles in the last decade) and the Pres AC (5-6 in post-season play) and Brockport (Independents 5-7 in Post-season play) are usual Pool B contenders makes them more "palatable" vis-a-vis an IBFC, MWC or NEFC team.  I think that the Pool B's this year will be respectable clubs.

ktroutvon

I'm wondering where the independents fall into the Pool C consideration.  That Brockport-Wesley game makes it pretty confusing.

I assume this will be covered a lot over the next few weeks though. 

religion_major

Independents would fall to pool c if they fail to receive one of the four pool b bids.  I would say that Huntingdon has an outside shot.

Ralph Turner

I think that the Brockport win really casts some doubt on Wesley.  I also think that Salisbury will defeat Wesley.  That would seal the Wolverines fate and make it cleasrer for everyone else.  There are too many one-loss teams in D3.

The ACFC is not recognized as a formal D3 conference as the NEFC and the IBC are.  That means that the Brockport Wesley game is not a formal "in-region" game, as the Depauw (Greencastle IN)- Millsaps (Jackson, MS)  is.  Neither is Dover to Brockport within the 200 mile radius.

We have discussed this before.  The ACFC provides a framework for indepedents on the Atlantic seaboard to schedule games, but their obtaining a Pool A will need to come under the aegis of an established conference, e.g., the SUNYAC, if Cortland, Brockport, Buffalo and maybe a Morrisville in 2011 want to go there.

ACMob

RT-- as much as I like Wesley, I think the Gulls will finish off the Wolverines this weekend for playoff consideration.  And as discussed before, The ACFC has lost a team(Buff St.) and likely will lose another!! :-\

AnotherJohnnie

Quote from: Ralph Turner on October 23, 2005, 02:43:46 AM
6) ACFC loser, especially if it is Wesley.

7)  Willamette/Whitworth--Face off on Nov 5th.  Lewis & Clark cancelation hurts!

I have to think that if Whitworth wins that they would be ahead of the ACFC loser.  Whit would have only 1 DIII loss and that was to Linfield.  Maybe they should be even higher on the list, but with schedule problem (not enough games), I am not sure.