All Americans

Started by Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan), March 01, 2006, 10:01:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronk

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on March 28, 2017, 07:11:24 AM
Quote from: Greek Tragedy on March 27, 2017, 11:44:35 PM
So are we talking 2008-2017?

That's my understanding.  The last team included a few players who graduated in 2007.  Oddly enough, the 2007 POY was junior, Ben Strong, so I don't think he was eligible.

Yes, Taryn Mellody of Scranton made the women's team and graduated in 2007.

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on March 28, 2017, 07:11:24 AM
Quote from: Greek Tragedy on March 27, 2017, 11:44:35 PM
So are we talking 2008-2017?

That's my understanding.  The last team included a few players who graduated in 2007.  Oddly enough, the 2007 POY was junior, Ben Strong, so I don't think he was eligible.

So his senior year had to be 2007? That's odd that 3 of his years are within the "decade" but he wasn't eligible. Anyway, he's a shoe-in for the next list!
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Pat Coleman

We assumed we would be around for another decade. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Greek Tragedy

Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Pat Coleman

Seventeen days earlier this year! Whoo-hoo!
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Pat Coleman on October 24, 2018, 03:12:55 PM
Seventeen days earlier this year! Whoo-hoo!

The timing this year has me completely confused LOL

Still think I have a little time before getting Hoopsville on the air. Nope. Nope. Nope.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

uaaaficionado

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on October 24, 2018, 12:26:18 PM
Preseason All-America selections for 2018-19 are up: http://www.d3hoops.com/awards/all-americans/men/preseason-2019

Ah yes, a tough snub for the UAA.

Missed Andrew Sanders (WashU) in the Preseason picks last year, then he proceeded to have a monster season and made 1st team All-American. All though Adam Gigax (Emory) was a Preseason pick last year he ultimately did not have the numbers & consistency of his junior year to make a case.

I'm sure Romin Williams (Emory), Jack Nolan (WashU), and Ryan Clamage (Rochester) will certainly make their cases as this season goes on. I'm hoping all three teams can find a way to make the tournament and at least one can make a deep run to Salem. Then maybe, just maybe, D3Hoops might show the UAA a little love.

Pat Coleman

It's amusing that you think that the UAA doesn't get any "love" -- whatever defines that. But we looked really closely to make sure we weren't ignoring a worthy UAA player and Nolan is a tough sell as a sophomore. You basically have to be the national rookie of the year to get a sniff at preseason All-American the very next year.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: uaaaficionado on October 24, 2018, 03:27:50 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on October 24, 2018, 12:26:18 PM
Preseason All-America selections for 2018-19 are up: http://www.d3hoops.com/awards/all-americans/men/preseason-2019

Ah yes, a tough snub for the UAA.

Missed Andrew Sanders (WashU) in the Preseason picks last year, then he proceeded to have a monster season and made 1st team All-American. All though Adam Gigax (Emory) was a Preseason pick last year he ultimately did not have the numbers & consistency of his junior year to make a case.

I'm sure Romin Williams (Emory), Jack Nolan (WashU), and Ryan Clamage (Rochester) will certainly make their cases as this season goes on. I'm hoping all three teams can find a way to make the tournament and at least one can make a deep run to Salem. Then maybe, just maybe, D3Hoops might show the UAA a little love.

I would argue a lot of people missed Sander's contributions before he started his senior year. He had a terrific year. And BTW, there are a lot of players who "play themselves onto" the post-season All-America list. It happens every year. Sanders is not an exception, though rise to first-team was certainly a stellar move.

Couple of factors made things difficult for UAA "love" this season: there are a TON of pretty good guards in Division III currently and most of them are seniors. That makes for not a lot of space on the All-America team(s). Thus, forwards are not as plentiful to pick from and some do rise further up (for anyone trying to compare why a guard missed it compared to a forward). I'll add, I think we will see a number of forwards emerge this year ... but since they were behind a lot of great forwards who have graduated the last two years, it is hard to gauge that potential on limited data.

I think the choices from Emory and Rochester have the distinct disadvantage being in that list of guards where there just isn't any room. Hard to find space over the guards currently listed.

We considered Nolan, for example. As Pat indicated, it's hard for a rising sophomore to make this list. Once in a while I am sure it has happened and I know there was one I was considering hard this summer (until I realized he had transferred to a DII program). Nolan was seriously considered, but ultimately we felt he could be one of those guys that could play onto the team.

Also, if they make a deep run to Salem... they are either on the wrong team or ... they aren't All-America worthy outside of the ODAC teams. :)

uaaaficionado

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on October 24, 2018, 03:50:21 PM

Also, if they make a deep run to Salem... they are either on the wrong team or ... they aren't All-America worthy outside of the ODAC teams. :)

Plenty of great points you make..

And you sure got me with this one - I'm sure they'll see you in Ft. Wayne  8-)

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: uaaaficionado on October 24, 2018, 04:08:15 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on October 24, 2018, 03:50:21 PM

Plenty of great points you make..

And you sure got me with this one - I'm sure they'll see you in Ft. Wayne  8-)

I figured everyone would get a chuckle. It is taking me awhile to shift my mindset as well ... especially since Salem (Roanoke College) is hosting women. It is a little more confusing. LOL

WUPHF

This is nitpicking, but I would argue that Andrew Sanders should have been clearly on the radar of the voters based on his sophomore campaign and his leadership towards the 2016-2017 UAA title; a season in whichever everyone adored Rochester.

But yeah, those early tourney exits...those early tourney exits...

Riley056

Top Players Left off the list...

Edvinas Ruckus - Skidmore
Brady Rose - IWU
Vinny Curta - Grinnell
Romin Williams - Emory
Jalen Adams - Olivet

Who else?

Greek Tragedy

Jalen Adams graduated.

Not sure if Vinny Curta will get the respect tossing up big numbers for Grinnell.

I considered Rupkus.

I took Brady Rose in the pool.

I also took Romin Williams. Tough to make it as a sophomore. Plus, as Pat (?) said, lots of guards.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!