D3 vs. NAIA

Started by Ralph Turner, August 28, 2005, 10:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bleedpurple

Quote from: jknezek on September 25, 2015, 09:44:51 AM
Yeah. I really want to see this game in better conditions. Both teams had what I consider weather related miscues and I think a good day for football would have made both teams even more explosive. Morningside had the chops, UWW just had a bit more on the night to my distinct pleasure. It will be interesting to see where Morningside finishes this year. Is this really the best of the NAIA or once again a top 5 team that doesn't get over the hump? Given Morningside gave UWW almost everything they could handle, even a slightly better team would be hard for anyone in DIII to top...

Marian beat Morningside pretty handily last year before Southern Oregon handled Marian pretty well in the finals. Last year isn't this year, and you have to respect that Morningside was/is #1 according to the NAIA coaches poll, but it will be interesting to see if they come good in the NAIA championships.

Heck of a good game. Good for UWW, good for DIII, good entertainment for fans (other than the weather). Congratulations UWW. You did DIII proud and look, once again, like an unstoppable force. Is there an immoveable object somewhere in DIII up to the challenge?

Morningside is very good.  I believe the team I saw on Thursday night would be up in the UW-W, MU, Linfield, UMHB, Wesley stratosphere in DIII. Whether they are the best or not in NAIA, I have no way of knowing.  Programs also have peaks and valleys. Southern Oregon was a beast last year apparently. Maybe they are this year, but they already lost. Also, in 2012 they lost to Morningside, and in 2011, they lost 31-9 to Willamette.  So, taking a broader view, I don't think there's any evidence at all that the top NAIA team would dominate D-III teams.  If Southern Oregon folks think differently, they can always give UW-W a call. I know they need a game in 2016.  I don't know if we still have the 500 mile travel cap.  But I'm sure they'd take games if there was a way to work out the home and home and if that type of travel is allowed again by the Wisconsin powers that be.

wildcat11

Quote from: bleedpurple on September 27, 2015, 12:57:12 AM
If Southern Oregon folks think differently, they can always give UW-W a call.

They already took a pass on playing Linfield in 2016 so doubt they'll be ringing up UWW.

02 Warhawk

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on September 18, 2015, 01:27:46 PM
Seems like both D3 and NAIA fans are eye balling next week's game between UWW#1 and Morningside#2. I found this NAIA message board where they started a Morningside vs. Whitewater thread way back on the 9th, and the game isn't until the 24th.

I'll be interested to read NAIA fan's analysis about these two heavy weights squaring off.

Kind of funny, I'm finding it hard to find reading material from a NAIA perspective about morningside losing to UWW. The naia site talks about them dropping to 4th, but never says why. Even pat's NAIA friend hasn't written about the game on his blog. Almost like they are pretending it never happened.

Teamski

Quote from: jknezek on September 25, 2015, 09:44:51 AM
Yeah. I really want to see this game in better conditions. Both teams had what I consider weather related miscues and I think a good day for football would have made both teams even more explosive. Morningside had the chops, UWW just had a bit more on the night to my distinct pleasure. It will be interesting to see where Morningside finishes this year. Is this really the best of the NAIA or once again a top 5 team that doesn't get over the hump? Given Morningside gave UWW almost everything they could handle, even a slightly better team would be hard for anyone in DIII to top...

Marian beat Morningside pretty handily last year before Southern Oregon handled Marian pretty well in the finals. Last year isn't this year, and you have to respect that Morningside was/is #1 according to the NAIA coaches poll, but it will be interesting to see if they come good in the NAIA championships.

Heck of a good game. Good for UWW, good for DIII, good entertainment for fans (other than the weather). Congratulations UWW. You did DIII proud and look, once again, like an unstoppable force. Is there an immoveable object somewhere in DIII up to the challenge?

Morningside is very good.  I believe the team I saw on Thursday night would be up in the UW-W, MU, Linfield, UMHB, Wesley stratosphere in DIII. Whether they are the best or not in NAIA, I have no way of knowing.  Programs also have peaks and valleys. Southern Oregon was a beast last year apparently. Maybe they are this year, but they already lost. Also, in 2012 they lost to Morningside, and in 2011, they lost 31-9 to Willamette.  So, taking a broader view, I don't think there's any evidence at all that the top NAIA team would dominate D-III teams.  If Southern Oregon folks think differently, they can always give UW-W a call. I know they need a game in 2016.  I don't know if we still have the 500 mile travel cap.  But I'm sure they'd take games if there was a way to work out the home and home and if that type of travel is allowed again by the Wisconsin powers that be.

The NAIA is kinda interesting.  There is such a HUGE spread in the quality of the teams from top to bottom.  Probably even more so than DIII.  There are a lot of NAIA teams that would get stomped by most DIII teams, while at the top, the NAIA is quite good (with scholarships of course).  The NAIA should probably be broken down into two to three divisions.  Just my impression.

-Ski
Wesley College Football.... A Winning Tradition! A Coach Mike Drass Legacy.

cawcdad

NAIA has two divisions for basketball. I do not believe there are enough NAIA schools playing football to allow for two or more divisions.

hickory_cornhusker

The NAIA had two divisions for football until about the mid 90s when they went down to one because they didn't have enough teams to justify two divisions anymore.

bleedpurple

Quote from: wildcat11 on September 27, 2015, 01:02:22 AM
If Southern Oregon folks think differently, they can always give UW-W a call.

They already took a pass on playing Linfield in 2016 so doubt they'll be ringing up UWW.

No kidding.  Well there ya' go.  Now that I think about it, UW-W's opening is in 2017.  But obviously it wouldn't have mattered.  If they don't want to play the Cats, that is their right (even though frustrating).  But then don't even hint at being a superior team or program.  Maybe they don't, but NAIA supporters who post on the message boards over there sure would.

hazzben

Quote from: Teamski on September 30, 2015, 10:05:20 AM

The NAIA is kinda interesting.  There is such a HUGE spread in the quality of the teams from top to bottom.  Probably even more so than DIII.  There are a lot of NAIA teams that would get stomped by most DIII teams, while at the top, the NAIA is quite good (with scholarships of course).  The NAIA should probably be broken down into two to three divisions.  Just my impression.

-Ski

Not sure about the bolded portion. There are also a lot of DIII teams that would get stomped by most NAIA teams. I think the gap between the top and bottom is pretty extreme in both. I like to think the average DIII team is better than the average NAIA. But that's just conjecture. I also like to think our Top 50 is more competitive than theirs, from an intra-division standpoint. But again, that's just, like, my opinion man  :)

DFWCrufan

From what I understand, Linfield and UMHB are scheduled to play 2016-17...If UW W knew about that it could be a reason they passed. but that is conjecture.
9 Year Member of the CRU-Nation! UMHB National Champions 2016 and 2018

Ralph Turner

Quote from: DFWCrufan on November 05, 2015, 10:59:08 PM
From what I understand, Linfield and UMHB are scheduled to play 2016-17...If UW W knew about that it could be a reason they passed. but that is conjecture.
Props to Linfield!

They have always been willing to travel to play ASC teams. HSU, UMHB are the two that I recall over the last 15 years.

(And their baseball fans that I have met in the Regionals are wonderful too.)

Ralph Turner

Let's revive this thread:

Vs D-1   (0-1)

Campbell 70 Methodist 0

Vs D-2  (1-0)

Sul Ross State 47  UT-Permian Basin 22

Vs NAIA  (5-3)

North Central IL  33, Robert Morris IL  31
Buena Vista 31, Mayville St (SD)  27
Okla Panhandle State 10, McMurry 0
Austin 31, Bacone OK 18
Trinity International 58, Wisconsin Lutheran 21
Louisiana Coll 59, Wayland Baptist 20
Hendrix 56, Lyon Ark 28
Southwestern Assemblies 63, Howard Payne 34

Vs Other  (0-1)

Apprentice 39, Greensboro 7

Corrections are appreciated.

Teamski

Wow.  DIII got bitch slapped by the NAIA today!  Ouch!

No. 4 UW-Oshkosh    3    Davenport    7
No. 6 Linfield    14    Carroll (Mont.)    21
St. Scholastica    29    Mayville St.    33
Buena Vista    20    Concordia (Neb.)    27
Crown    14    Presentation    42
Austin    14    Wayland Baptist    24

-Ski
Wesley College Football.... A Winning Tradition! A Coach Mike Drass Legacy.

jamtod

Quote from: Teamski on September 08, 2018, 07:57:11 PM
Wow.  DIII got bitch slapped by the NAIA today!  Ouch!

No. 4 UW-Oshkosh    3    Davenport    7
No. 6 Linfield    14    Carroll (Mont.)    21
St. Scholastica    29    Mayville St.    33
Buena Vista    20    Concordia (Neb.)    27
Crown    14    Presentation    42
Austin    14    Wayland Baptist    24

-Ski

Add one for the good guys from last week (there were probably others also)
St Thomas 76 Trinity International 7

ADL70

These weren't any better.

Anderson was shellacked by start-up NAIA Indiana Wesleyan, 61-6.

Valley City 48 Minn-Morris 0

Arizona Christian 67  Whittier 42

Davenport is in its third and final year of transition to NCAA DII
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

Captain_Joe08

Also.....

Lawrence Tech (NAIA) 30 Wisconsin Lutheran 22
Once a Warrior always a Warrior.
WLC Men's Tennis (2014 NACC Tournament Champs)
2014 MIAA Football Pick 'Em Champ
2014 WIAC Football Pick 'Em Regular Season Co-Champ
2014 National Confidence Playoff Champion
Milwaukee Brewers: 2018 NL Central Champions