FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamtod

All classes are noted as expected for 2018. I welcome your input on this.

Offense:
QB1: Jacques Perra (Sr)
Key graduation: None (although one of these guys might step in as holder for Dylan Andrew)
Expected to compete 2018: Ronnie Jones (Jr), Michael Frankl (So)
Perra struggled at times but should return with some safety to the QB role. The two backups should be solid options also.

RB1: Tucker Trettel (Sr)
Key graduation: Jordan Roberts
Expected to compete 2018: Josh Parks (Jr), Stephen Wagner (Jr) - maybe mostly at FB, Tom Loeffler (So), Emitt Peisert (Jr) - converted to WR?, Keeshawn Aleksuk (So)
Getting a healthy Trettel back for a 1-2 punch, with Wagner and Loeffler as alternative options makes this a position of strength.

FB1: Jeremy Molina
Key graduation: Molina
Expected to compete 2018: Jack Foley (Jr), Stephen Wagner (Jr), Noel Ortiz (So)
Foley got the early reps while Molina was out, as Wagner transitioned to the FB role.

TE: Matt Christenson and Jackson Hull
Key graduations: Christenson and Hull
Expected to compete 2018: Jackson Finn (Sr), Jack Foley (Jr) - although maybe at FB?, Grant Slavik (Jr)
Some big losses here and we will need guys to step up.

WR: Vinny Pallini (Jr) and Gabe Green (Jr)
Key graduations: Luke Iverson, Tanner Vik
Expected to compete 2018: Emmitt Peisert (Jr) - maybe here or at RB, Will Toonen (Jr)
WR is a position where we lack major depth. Pallini and Green stepped up and took over the starting roles as the season went on. Nobody outside of those listed had receptions so I'm not sure who the next guys to step up are. Peisert has transitioned to WR and should leave us with another option there. Loeffler is listed at WR on the depth chart although looks to be a solid RB.

OL: C, Matt Beck (Sr); G, Michael Greene (Sr) and Chandler Lamke; T, Damon Longstreet and Elijah Rice (Jr)
Key graduations: Lamke, Longstreet, and Gavin Dauwalter (struggled with injuries some)
Expected to compete 2018: Michael Ruggeri (So) is an OG I think and could step in nicely for a few years. Garrett Prentis (So) is the backup C. I am not an O-line expert so maybe somebody else can help me out here. I think Joey Koppelman (Jr - OG) and one of the Brockwells (Jr and Sr) also saw some time.

Defense:
DL: Austin Jochum, Johnny Heller (Super Sr?), Matt Mitchell (Sr)
Key graduations: Jochum, maybe Heller, Jack Newell
Expected to compete 2018: David Danhauer (Sr), Jake Levahn (So), Alex Zwaschka (Jr), Alex Panos (So)

LB: Steve Harrell, Dylan Andrew, Adam Brant (Sr), Blake Weber (Sr)
Key graduations: Harrell, Andrew, Adam Kraft, George Hottinger, Tobias Knight
Expected to compete 2018: Peder Olson (Sr), Luke Swenson (Jr), Alex Taylor (Jr), Carter Greguson (So), Parker Hlavacek (Jr), Sam Herriges (Jr)

CB: Mark Dowdle (Sr), Michael Franzese (Sr)
Key graduations: Austin Lorch (key ST contributor)
Expected to compete 2018: Logan Petersmeyer (Jr), Joe Hird (So), Austin Coates (Jr) has seen some special teams PT but I don't recall seeing him at corner.
Nice to have some starters back. Need to develop some more depth at this position.

S: Isaac Seering, Chris Fondakowski (Sr)
Key graduations: Seering, Jack Dummer (special teams)
Expected to compete 2018: Jordan Lundell (Sr)
We saw Fonda move to CB some late in the year and Lundell got some more PT at Safety. I don't know who else is in line to see time here.

Special Teams:
K: Bryan Steinsapir
Key graduations: Steinsapir
Expected to compete 2018: Carter Schmitz (Sr), Vinny Pallini (Jr), Tyler Knutson (Jr)?
Steinsapir was great. Schmitz has kicked some but struggled to get the height on his kicks. Pallini has kicked a few and looked great but not sure if he would be a full-time K and WR.

P: Jacques Perra (Sr) and the other QBs. Occasionally Robert Petijean (Jr)
Key graduations: None
Expected to compete 2018: Should be in good shape here. Hopefully we don't have to punt much.

Longsnapper: Zach Bennett (So) did a nice job and will keep the job I imagine.

KR: Peisert and Loeffler are back.

PR: Loeffler and Pallini are back.

miac952

Great news for Jochum. Really disappointing not to see a Tommie LB on that list. I thought all four were standouts and all-american caliber, but the fact they all shared the success might be why one isn't on there.

Jam - Great info. Offense shouldn't miss a beat. They should get a lot better with the development of Green late in the season and a healthy backfield. I think Perra will take a big step forward as well with a full year of starting under his belt. Defense will have to plug the hole up the middle with ILB's and Jochum. Beyond that there are some other big fish coming back to lead them. This should be a deep and talented roster next year that will hopefully make a run for another conference title and push for the Stagg.

MiacMan

Nice job Jam! The Tommies will be loaded next year. Hopefully others will step up as well and make the league better. SJU should be right there again. I believe they return a good number as well.

jamtod

Quote from: miac952 on December 12, 2017, 04:00:15 PM
Great news for Jochum. Really disappointing not to see a Tommie LB on that list. I thought all four were standouts and all-american caliber, but the fact they all shared the success might be why one isn't on there.

Jam - Great info. Offense shouldn't miss a beat. They should get a lot better with the development of Green late in the season and a healthy backfield. I think Perra will take a big step forward as well with a full year of starting under his belt. Defense will have to plug the hole up the middle with ILB's and Jochum. Beyond that there are some other big fish coming back to lead them. This should be a deep and talented roster next year that will hopefully make a run for another conference title and push for the Stagg.

I think UST does have another one of our international trips (CANADA-GATE HERE WE COME!) coming up, so it's time for our every 3 year Stagg Bowl beatdown. I don't recall where they are going this time though.

In happy news I'll be adding an additional letter to my nickname next July (it's an acronym for the names of the members of my family), so convincing the mrs that I should make a trip to Shenandoah next December might be a challenge.

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

MiacMan

Quote from: jamtoTommie on December 12, 2017, 04:21:51 PM

In happy news I'll be adding an additional letter to my nickname next July (it's an acronym for the names of the members of my family), so convincing the mrs that I should make a trip to Shenandoah next December might be a challenge.

Awww, Awesome, Congrats! What a blessing!

DuffMan

Quote from: MiacMan on December 12, 2017, 04:39:07 PM
What a blessing!

You obviously don't have young kids!  ;D

I kid.  They're a blessing, but man, they can drive you up a wall at times.  Congrats, jamto!

I guess that solves my long-standing curiousity about what "jamto" was a reference to.  I could change my username to rodsJohnnie, but after 14+ years, why mess with a good thing? 

A tradition unrivaled...
MIAC Champions: 1932, 1935, 1936, 1938, 1953, 1962, 1963, 1965, 1971, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1979, 1982, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022
National Champions: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003

MiacMan

Quote from: DuffMan on December 12, 2017, 07:20:43 PM
Quote from: MiacMan on December 12, 2017, 04:39:07 PM
What a blessing!

You obviously don't have young kids!  ;D

Duff, Congrats on your little blessings too! It's been a while for me with little kids. My youngest of 5 is a senior in HS. I do have a 6mo. old grand daughter that I get to send home with her Mother (my daughter) and Father when she gets unruly, but they truly are all blessings.

57Johnnie

Is everybody happy that we will soon have Krispy Kreme Beer?  :)
The older the violin - the sweeter the music!

MiacMan

Quote from: 57Johnnie on December 13, 2017, 09:46:36 AM
Is everybody happy that we will soon have Krispy Kreme Beer?  :)

Well, I love the donuts. I can see it. Kind-a-like beer on cornflakes. Donuts and beer, I'm in. Is that serious?

MUC57

57Johnnie

Your "old" buddy MUC57 here. Krispy Kreme Beer? What? Seems like you're kind of a beer guy. A sterling quality, in my book. Care to elaborate?

I'm old. I get mixed up and I forget things!
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

57Johnnie

Krispy Kreme beer for real but maybe only in Florida from:
Hidden Springs Ale Works
The older the violin - the sweeter the music!

MUC57

I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

stanbob

Quote from: MiacMan on December 08, 2017, 12:06:25 PM
Quote from: jamtoTommie on December 08, 2017, 11:46:19 AM
Quote from: Tom Thumb on December 08, 2017, 11:34:43 AM
Does anyone know if Johnny Heller will return next fall? I believe he went down in the Johnnie game last year and may be eligible for a medical redshirt.

I believe I heard somewhere that he has a decision to make and it's not known yet whether he will return.

If he proves to have eligibility left, I would lean heavily on him returning, especially given the group UST has returning next year. I am pretty sure his father would be all in on that decision.

Daddy's money talks...
Everyday is payday in paradise.

stanbob

Quote from: USTBench on December 08, 2017, 01:30:07 PM
Quote from: BlueDevil Bob on December 08, 2017, 01:12:40 PM
Quote from: USTBench on December 08, 2017, 11:29:47 AM
Quote from: BlueDevil Bob on December 08, 2017, 10:45:19 AM
Quote from: USTBench on December 08, 2017, 09:26:53 AM
If UST showed up to play against UW-Stout that wouldn't have happened. Can't blame the committee on that one.

Unless someone was wearing a Caruso Halloween costume and dozens of other guys borrowed all the Tommie football uniforms, they did show up for that game.

TECHNICALLY.

This is as TECHNICAL as I need to get.

Any further references to "Didn't show up" or "Stubbed their toe" is an insult to both teams and their coaches that were on the field that day.

It should be insulting to UST. That was the whole point.

All that matters is who was better at the end of 60 minutes, on that day it was Stout. Tip of the cap. But let's not kid ourselves.

I'm not sure if they're scheduled to play in 2018, but if they do, I'll give you UW-Stout +20. If I lose I'll where a Blue Devils shirt to Tommie/Johnnie.

where one proudly...
Everyday is payday in paradise.