FB: Empire 8

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYfootball

Quote from: ITH radio on July 09, 2019, 12:36:42 PM
Pep -

Is it me or is Nas Smith missing from this preview?

https://gosaxons.com/news/2019/7/9/football-announces-2019-slate-celebrates-120th-season.aspx

I noticed that as well, they appeared to scrub him from the previous year games recaps too. The E8 is going to be very interesting this fall. Brockport loses their QB to another transfer and Alfred apparently loses their stud RB

AUPepBand

Pep -

https://gosaxons.com/news/2019/7/9/football-announces-2019-slate-celebrates-120th-season.aspx

It's you. And you are correct. Nas Smith is missing from the preview. Pep heard through one of the student library assistants during spring semester that he was looking to get better noticed at a bigger school. While Pep can't confirm which school, Pep believes it is in the Northeast Conference. Pep confirmed the departure with one of the assistant football coaches a month or so ago. Rumor has it that he went where they have a better pep band.  :'(

On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

NYfootball

What is everyone's thoughts on the 2019 E8 programs, and impact players?

Bartman

Quote from: AUPepBand on July 09, 2019, 04:36:42 PM
Pep -

It's you. And you are correct. Nas Smith is missing from the preview. Pep heard through one of the student library assistants during spring semester that he was looking to get better noticed at a bigger school. While Pep can't confirm which school, Pep believes it is in the Northeast Conference. Pep confirmed the departure with one of the assistant football coaches a month or so ago. Rumor has it that he went where they have a better pep band.  :'(
Unfortunately I think this may be a bit of a trend going forward. A couple of great seasons in D3 and talented players like Nasir Smith will look to improve their prospects, either at a higher level of competition or for the potential to get more looks from pro scouts.  Players in the pros and college move around now more than ever , especially in basketball. I am sorry that Pep and the Alfred fans won't see Nas Smith finish his career as a Saxon Warrior, but I am sure his new college will not have anywhere near the spirit of Pep's band.
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

Jonny Utah

Quote from: Bartman on July 12, 2019, 01:47:37 PM
Pep -

Unfortunately I think this may be a bit of a trend going forward. A couple of great seasons in D3 and talented players like Nasir Smith will look to improve their prospects, either at a higher level of competition or for the potential to get more looks from pro scouts.  Players in the pros and college move around now more than ever , especially in basketball. I am sorry that Pep and the Alfred fans won't see Nas Smith finish his career as a Saxon Warrior, but I am sure his new college will not have anywhere near the spirit of Pep's band.

A quick internet search tells me that Naz is going to Central Conn State. 

ITH radio

Hobart will be scrimmaging Pep's Saxons in Mayberry on 8/28 in the evening.

Kuzoos optional (for scrimmages).
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

Bartman

Quote from: ITH radio on July 12, 2019, 03:34:13 PM

+k to ITH for the announcement and +k for Pep for encouragement to bring the band ;)
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

AUPepBand

Quote from: Jonny Utah on July 12, 2019, 03:08:15 PM
Quote from: Bartman on July 12, 2019, 01:47:37 PM
Pep -

A quick internet search tells me that Naz is going to Central Conn State.

That is, indeed, where Pep had heard he was headed but Pep's internet search to confirm pales in comparison to that of Jonny utah. Damn dial-up has been giving Pep fits!

On Saxon Warriors!

AUPepBand

Quote from: Bartman on July 12, 2019, 06:00:56 PM
Quote from: ITH radio on July 12, 2019, 03:34:13 PM

+k to ITH for the announcement and +k for Pep for encouragement to bring the band ;)

Funny thing, Pep has in the past had the band play at home scrimmages (when on a Saturday) as part of the daylong "Band Camp."
This one time at band camp....

Get the fight song ready!

NYfootball

My early thoughts on the league this year. I'll rank the teams in three tiers, in each tier I think the teams are on par with each other, and are in no particular order:

1a: Brockport has been recruiting well, and in the past has had impactful transfers, so I have to give them the benefit of the doubt that they can find and plug in new players. Having said that, they graduate almost the entire defense, returning only the OLB/overhang players (who are very good). That is alot to replace from a very strong unit. Their DB talent allowed them to load the box and send more than you can block. I doubt they can be as effective doing that this fall.
On offense, their E8 player of the year senior QB transferred to Ithaca College after sniffing around other E8 and Liberty League schools. Kind of a head scratcher. They have an upperclass QB on the roster, brought in a D1 transfer QB, and have incoming freshman QBs as well so they will have guys to work with. They return their WRs, RB and two OL.
You have to wonder if they could be vulnerable versus high scoring teams while getting new players dialed in. They did start to show some dents in the armor the second half of last season (see 2018 Utica & Cortland games), and had a somewhat surprising NCAA playoff loss to RPI.

1b: Alfred always seems to get guys, and they have defensive holes to fill. They lose most of their DBs, half the DL, but have experienced LBs returning. If the offense isn't turning the ball over, the defense seems to be dig in and play well. They are well coached. If they can generate pressure, it will help their youthful DBs.
In another odd turn of events, Alfred's All American RB decided to transfer. I think he was a good player in a favorable run first offense with a good mauler type OL (most are returning), and was in a good spot in Alfred. I don't think this will impact them all that much, they have other guys. There will be new WRs and a new TE to break in, and return a senior QB who needs to limit mistakes and not try to do too much.
Alfred has alot to work with, but can have weird games at times where all the wheels come off (see 2018 Brockport & Fisher games). To win the tough E8, those can't happen. 

1c: Utica has been recruiting well, especially in their own backyard. Like Brockport and Alfred, there will be new faces on defense this fall. The difference here though, that may be addition by subtraction, because they were stout against the run and return most of the guys in the box. They will be looking to replace their safety's and corners, but the 2018 group had a tendency to get gashed by big pass plays (see 2018 Cortland, Morrisville and Ithaca games). Can they limit big plays this year?
Utica's offense graduates two WRs, a good RB and two OL. They return the E8 rookie of the year at QB, their top receiver and a host of RBs who all saw playing time. This is an offense who may be just getting started in its development. They took RPI to 3OT before losing to them.
I don't think many thought Utica would score 44 points versus Ithaca in their bowl game, against a senior defense that averaged less that 14 against. Quite an eye opener. This team could be fun to watch.

Next tier:

2A: Cortland always gets good guys too, but have alot of replacement coming on defense. All their DBs, all their ILBs, most of their DL are graduating (talented group). They return their OLB/overhang. I expect it will take a few games to get the new guys playing at a high level. 
Of greater concern, is the loss of 3 very talented senior receivers and a RB. that made the offense go. Their OL and senior QB is back. In spite of the talent at WR, some games had a baffling amount of turnovers or untimely sacks on offense (see 2018 Alfred, Brockport & Ithaca games).
Cortland may need to be creative in sending pressure more this year on defense, and figure out a way to limit turnovers in an unforgiving league. They have a very exciting Cortaca Jug Game in NYC to finish the regular season.

2b: Fisher flashed at times in 2018, but multiple injuries to the QB group was costly. They have most of their box players back, but are replacing most of their DBs (common theme). They played scrappy on defense (see 2018 Ithaca & Alfred games), but needed help from the O.
Their 2018 D1 QB transfer never really made an impact due to injuries, and is projected to be back this year. They needed to add depth at QB. Practically the rest of the offense is back.
I expect this team to improve this fall if they stay healthy under center.

Next Tier:

3a: Morrisville defense will be reloading, losing their LBs, most of DL and returning 2 DBs. This group played well at times in 2018, and were strong in the box. They could be passed on though.
On offense, they return 3 good OL, a FB and a WR, but everyone else is graduating. They have an upperclassman QB with some playing time, but the loss at RB will be felt.
It will be interesting to see how the team develops during non league first 5 games (they appear to have no bye week) before the E8 gauntlet begins week 6.

3b: Hartwick had a rough 2018, and has much work to do to get their mojo back. I think they will need strong leaders in the locker room to take it one game at a time and get better every week.

That's my take, feel free to pick it apart  ;D 

Caz Bombers

TIL that Hartwick had its only two wins of the 2018 season vacated. Must have used an ineligible player. Funny how fast the NCAA works to strip wins from the Hartwicks of the world but it takes years and years to do anything to major P5 programs.

Jonny Utah

Quote from: Caz Bombers on July 18, 2019, 08:52:54 AM
TIL that Hartwick had its only two wins of the 2018 season vacated. Must have used an ineligible player. Funny how fast the NCAA works to strip wins from the Hartwicks of the world but it takes years and years to do anything to major P5 programs.
Am I the only one who can't see 2018 schedule/scores from teams when I click on the "teams" link above?

Caz Bombers

I don't know what you mean, I found that information on the 2018 football schedule page on Hartwick's own website.

Jonny Utah

Quote from: Caz Bombers on July 18, 2019, 09:44:07 AM
I don't know what you mean, I found that information on the 2018 football schedule page on Hartwick's own website.

I can get it there, but go click d3football on the link above.

Then click on:

Teams, East Region, and go to Hartwick.

It has a list of all past seasons and scores back to 1998 and this years schedule.  But the 2018 schedule is missing.

Hawks88

Quote from: Jonny Utah on July 18, 2019, 10:03:43 AM
Quote from: Caz Bombers on July 18, 2019, 09:44:07 AM

I can get it there, but go click d3football on the link above.

Then click on:

Teams, East Region, and go to Hartwick.

It has a list of all past seasons and scores back to 1998 and this years schedule.  But the 2018 schedule is missing.
They just haven't added the link to last season to the page. If you go to one of the other seasons then change the year in the url to 2018 then you can get to it.