FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SaintsFAN

Quote from: jknezek on March 15, 2018, 09:04:28 AM
Quote from: Warrior71 on March 14, 2018, 10:19:59 PM
I do know that all the kids that were headed to W&L when Coach Abell left are still headed to W&L as far as I can tell. A class move by a class coach!

I'm certainly not going to dispute this, but I think that students are coming to W&L to be students. They may play football, and it may have some small bearing who the coach is, but for the most part, if you are coming to W&L, you are coming for the school. There aren't many comparables to W&L in the area, and there are even fewer that can offer the kind of real cost that W&L can offer. Coaches play a role in attracting athletes, but I think at W&L it's a smaller role than at most schools. The issue is getting enough student athletes through admissions for a sport like football.

Once they are in, that is where the coach really matters. Coach Abell was, at the very least, an incredible offensive mind. He had a knack for making his system work at a high level with the players available. He had a talent for making adjustments both pre and in game. Coach LeRose is stepping into very big shoes.

are the level of athlete being recruited to play football at Davidson on the same level as the ones being recruited to play for W&L?
AMC Champs: 1991-1992-1993-1994-1995
HCAC Champs: 2000, 2001
PAC Champs:  2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Bridge Bowl Champs:  1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-2002-2003-2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 (SERIES OVER)
Undefeated: 1991, 1995, 2001, 2009, 2010, 2015
Instances where MSJ quit the Bridge Bowl:  2

jknezek

Quote from: SaintsFAN on March 15, 2018, 02:02:43 PM
I do know that all the kids that were headed to W&L when Coach Abell left are still headed to W&L as far as I can tell. A class move by a class coach!

I'm certainly not going to dispute this, but I think that students are coming to W&L to be students. They may play football, and it may have some small bearing who the coach is, but for the most part, if you are coming to W&L, you are coming for the school. There aren't many comparables to W&L in the area, and there are even fewer that can offer the kind of real cost that W&L can offer. Coaches play a role in attracting athletes, but I think at W&L it's a smaller role than at most schools. The issue is getting enough student athletes through admissions for a sport like football.

Once they are in, that is where the coach really matters. Coach Abell was, at the very least, an incredible offensive mind. He had a knack for making his system work at a high level with the players available. He had a talent for making adjustments both pre and in game. Coach LeRose is stepping into very big shoes.

are the level of athlete being recruited to play football at Davidson on the same level as the ones being recruited to play for W&L?

I know there is some crossover between students being recruited in football. Makes sense given the relative academic status of the schools and where Davidson exists in the FCS hierarchy right now. I'd imagine the best kids recruited to W&L are on Davidson's radar. Before Davidson was forced into FCS in the late 90s they were a common W&L opponent as well. But without scholarships it's probably been a tough comparison for Davidson lately. "Come be a doormat here at our basketball focused school" doesn't really sell. I'd imagine W&L can offer better packages as well overall if they choose to. There might be a cache to getting a scholarship in D1, but not getting a scholarship and getting pounded week in and out doesn't really come with the same status.

HSCTiger fan

The average SAT at Davidson is 1410 and at WL 1450 according to PrepScholar.com. Both are ranked either 1 or 2 in their states. In NC rankings typically have it Duke Davidson or Davidson then Duke. In VA it's generally William and Mary and WL or vice versa. They are both excellent schools.
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

SaintsFAN

Quote from: jknezek on March 15, 2018, 03:15:41 PM

I know there is some crossover between students being recruited in football. Makes sense given the relative academic status of the schools and where Davidson exists in the FCS hierarchy right now. I'd imagine the best kids recruited to W&L are on Davidson's radar. Before Davidson was forced into FCS in the late 90s they were a common W&L opponent as well. But without scholarships it's probably been a tough comparison for Davidson lately. "Come be a doormat here at our basketball focused school" doesn't really sell. I'd imagine W&L can offer better packages as well overall if they choose to. There might be a cache to getting a scholarship in D1, but not getting a scholarship and getting pounded week in and out doesn't really come with the same status.

Thank you.  I didn't realize any of that.  I was a Davidson fan last night, unfortunately they lost. 
AMC Champs: 1991-1992-1993-1994-1995
HCAC Champs: 2000, 2001
PAC Champs:  2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Bridge Bowl Champs:  1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-2002-2003-2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 (SERIES OVER)
Undefeated: 1991, 1995, 2001, 2009, 2010, 2015
Instances where MSJ quit the Bridge Bowl:  2

HSCTiger fan

HSC alum Ryan Odom '96 is the head coach at UMBC!
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

Pat Coleman

We'll be dropping a new D3football.com Around the Nation Podcast on Monday, and W&L coach Garrett LeRose will be a guest. Keep an eye out for it in your feed or on our front page!
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

tigerFanAlso2

HSC football attracts 67 freshman; Dean of Admissions must be loving this

tigerFanAlso2

ODAC chasing the National Championship in baseball. Pretty cool stuff. I actually find myself pulling for RMC to pull it off.
Now, is it possible for ODAC to again, chase a NC in football? BC has done it, no other team has come close, rarely getting through first round.
And what happen to the days when VW, RMC, RC & HSC where factors on the National stage in basketball, and will those days come again ?

Jeremybozz

Bridgewater Cornerback Davonta Womack was seeded 3rd after the Division III 100 Meters prelims and finished 6th in the nation in the 100 Meters with a time of 10.9. He was less than a thousandth of a second from finishing 4th.

hasanova

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on May 25, 2018, 09:25:36 AM
ODAC chasing the National Championship in baseball. Pretty cool stuff. I actually find myself pulling for RMC to pull it off.
Now, is it possible for ODAC to again, chase a NC in football? BC has done it, no other team has come close, rarely getting through first round.
And what happen to the days when VW, RMC, RC & HSC where factors on the National stage in basketball, and will those days come again ?
GC made the Final Four in 2009 and 2010 and was briefly ranked #1.  I'd say we were on the National stage as well along with the Virginia schools you cite.

jknezek

W&L men finished 2nd in golf and took the individual title.

tigerFanAlso2

Hasa

I apologize. I simply forget the GC run.

Jk

I am an avid golfer, and play on a regular basis with a past D3 National Champion, but I don't get too excited about ODAC Golf and how it performs on the national stage; more thinking football, BBall, Baseball, Lax.

Hope you guys are well, enjoying the warm weather (wet around here) and looking forward to 2018 fball season.

hasanova

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on May 31, 2018, 10:28:38 AM
Hasa

I apologize. I simply forget the GC run.

Jk

I am an avid golfer, and play on a regular basis with a past D3 National Champion, but I don't get too excited about ODAC Golf and how it performs on the national stage; more thinking football, BBall, Baseball, Lax.

Hope you guys are well, enjoying the warm weather (wet around here) and 5th.looking forward to 2018 fball season.
No problem.  GC is an outlier in a conference naturally dominated by Virginia.  BTW, GC led 2 days in golf, but faltered to 5th.

tigerFanAlso2

I saw that. I know GC has a great golf program. NC is full of really good players and not many are getting money to play in college anymore

hasanova

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on May 31, 2018, 12:41:51 PM
I saw that. I know GC has a great golf program. NC is full of really good players and not many are getting money to play in college anymore
While I'm pleased with 5th and genuinely happy for W&L, I was a little disappointed that the Quakers beat the Generals by 33 in the ODAC tournament and then the tables were turned in the NCAA tournament.  C'est la vie.  Guilford's goals are an ODAC and an NCAA championship every year.