Running up the score

Started by PA_wesleyfan, September 30, 2007, 12:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PA_wesleyfan

There has been a lot of bantering on the boards about running up the score lately.

Pat

If you think this isn't a good idea than feel free to delete it!

Here are some of the things others have complained about.
(1) Teams scoring 60 to 70 pts.
(2) Teams passing with big leads
(3) Coaches not emptying their benches

All three of these complaints can be addressed together.

When teams do get leads and use their second and even third string players, these players want to show what they can do too. And I would think that the kids who are getting an opportunity on the other end of these one sided games that they want to show what they can do too. Also some of the conferences have roster restrictions so teams only carry maybe two stings of players on the road.

Some of these games get out of hand so quickly it's hard for a coach to say to his starters that all the hard they did all week was great but we need to sit you down so ....ST. or ....U. doesn't feel bad..the final

And finally there is no way a  coach can play 100 players in a game.  There aren't many if any coaches who can game plan a blowout and have a sheet that tells him what player deserves to play 4th ,5th or 6th  I understand how parents want their kids to play but to be honest some of them are not ready to step on the field as freshmen.

Anything I missed I am sure the DIII guru's will add 
Football !!! The ultimate team sport. Anyone who plays DIII football is a winner...

Bill McCabe

I just finished reading Lou Holtz's Wins, Losses and Lessons.  He and Bobby Bowden are very close friends and they played when Coach Holtz was at William & Mary and Coach Bowden was at West Virgina.  West Virginia won in a lopsided game and kept their starters in until late in the game.  Coach Holtz asked Coach Bowden why he did that since they are friends.

Coach Bowden's response:  "It's your job to keep the score down, not mine.  If you don't like the score, either recruit harder or coach better.  I've got to coach my team and you've got to coach yours.  You can only coach one team."

Coach Holtz said that stung, because he knew he was right.

Interesting thought on running up the score.

retagent

In addition to the players wanting to play as if it meant something, I'm sure coaches want to be able to evaluate the talent of their reserve players under game conditions. There are some players who look good in practice, and don't seem to perform as well in a game, and also the reverse.

Some squads have so many players that the only time a coach really "sees" a player perform might be in these situations. Injuries are inevitable, and evaluation of talent is paramount.

repete

Larry Kehres has basically written the book on how to handle this with class. If you look what MUC did in its opener, it's a lesson to all in that situation.

Guess that's because he's had so much practice ... :)

Just_that_kid

If a teams second and third team guys are beating you snot out of you first team (as it seems so of the complaints are), then you need to be mad at your recruiter and not the other team.

Bill McCabe

Just_that_kid, well said and karma for you.  None of the coaches at any of the schools have made one block, one tackle, or scored a TD. 

K-Mack

Quote from: repete on September 30, 2007, 02:08:25 PM
Larry Kehres has basically written the book on how to handle this with class. If you look what MUC did in its opener, it's a lesson to all in that situation.

Guess that's because he's had so much practice ... :) 

This could be a thread of its own. Pat and I mentioned it briefly this past week as a story idea.

I know Mount Union is trying really hard to stop when they get in the 60s, guys running out of bounds inside the 5 and then they kick field goals and stuff, but ... That might hurt just as much. Not that they're being mean about it, just that they are that much better than you that they have to TRY not to score. They have to go out of their way.

I know it's meant to be a classy thing, but I've never been able to decide if that helps or calls attention to the fact they're killing you more than just running in a straight line would. I guess it holds down the final score, but 52-0, 66-0, 78-0 ... aren't they kind of all the same at some point?

I am not a big keeping down the score guy, so feel free to argue with me on this one.

Starters should definitely get a half of work, although at some point are you risking injury with little to gain? And not only that, are they getting less out of the game at that point (being that out of hand can sometimes be non-competitive on both sides; no longer talking about just MUC) than they would in practice?

Just some things to think about.

Speaking of quotes on running it up, it was either Spurrier or Bowden who said something to the effect of: When he(the other coach) stops trying to score, I'll stop trying to score.

Methinks it was Spurrier, but also think it came up during some 77-?? FSU thrashing of Duke way back.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

K-Mack

Quote from: retagent on September 30, 2007, 12:50:58 PM
In addition to the players wanting to play as if it meant something, I'm sure coaches want to be able to evaluate the talent of their reserve players under game conditions. There are some players who look good in practice, and don't seem to perform as well in a game, and also the reverse.

Some squads have so many players that the only time a coach really "sees" a player perform might be in these situations. Injuries are inevitable, and evaluation of talent is paramount.

Exactly ... except are those really game situations?

Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

Just_that_kid

Butch Davis and a slew of Miami coaches used to get railed for the same thing. If a coach puts in his 2nd and 3rd team, that IS his way of slowing it down. If you can't stop that, you're out of luck. I'd run my offense. Your depth (or lack thereof) might haunt you! If you can't stop soph. and fresh. (generally), then don't step on the field.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Just_that_kid on October 01, 2007, 09:39:09 AM
Butch Davis and a slew of Miami coaches used to get railed for the same thing. If a coach puts in his 2nd and 3rd team, that IS his way of slowing it down. If you can't stop that, you're out of luck. I'd run my offense. Your depth (or lack thereof) might haunt you! If you can't stop soph. and fresh. (generally), then don't step on the field.
But the reality of the fact of a 2nd teamer and a 3rd teamer getting a season's worth of reps in game conditions is that he is almost a good as the starter by the end of the season.

In the Pony Express days of SMU with Eric Dickerson and Craig James, Coach Bobby Collins deliberately ran two offensive lines... first line, first line, second line, first line, second line, ...

smedindy

He probably did that because if he played the first line all of the time - their performance bonuses would have blown the slush fund budget!

smedindy

Texas Tech 75 - Northwestern State 7. THAT'S running up the score. Especially when TT only plays two QBs, the backup goes 9-12 for 196 and 3 TDs. The starting QB was in there throwing when it was 45-7 in the third quarter.

I know TT has a 'pass-wacky' offense, but they HAVE to have more than two QBs, and they certainly have some running plays up the middle. They didn't STOP passing until it was 75-7.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: smedindy on October 01, 2007, 11:31:38 AM
Texas Tech 75 - Northwestern State 7. THAT'S running up the score. Especially when TT only plays two QBs, the backup goes 9-12 for 196 and 3 TDs. The starting QB was in there throwing when it was 45-7 in the third quarter.

I know TT has a 'pass-wacky' offense, but they HAVE to have more than two QBs, and they certainly have some running plays up the middle. They didn't STOP passing until it was 75-7.
Actually, the Texas Tech Athletic Department picked up the tab for 2nd string QB practice to the tune of about $400,000, payable to the Athletic Department at Northwestern LA.  :D

Ron Boerger

That's (one of) the problem(s) with D-I ... lots of alumns with deep pockets WANT to see the score run up. 

Jonny Utah

Quote from: smedindy on October 01, 2007, 11:31:38 AM

I didnt see the game but...

-Ive seen that Northwestern St. team play this year.  Very unorganized and lots of fumbles (only 4 vs TT it looks like)

-If you backup qb gets in the game like this, I would think you need him to pass and practice against a real team.  I dont see that much wrong with it.