Running up the score

Started by PA_wesleyfan, September 30, 2007, 12:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wally_wabash

Quote from: Oline79 on May 03, 2018, 03:26:22 PM
So my opinion on this subject has changed over the years.
If:  Team A  is up by at least 35
      It is the second half
      Team B is truly outmatched on the field

Then:  Team A pulls its starters.  It seems that every team in D3 (with exception of NESCAC schools) have rosters well over 100 players.  This is the time to get the second string, third string and maybe even some freshman out on the field.  Football practice is miserable, football games are magical.  Any kid who has pushed through spring practice, humped through summer preseason, and worked the "look" squad during the week, deserves to get on the big field and play in an actual game.  Run the offense, rush the quarterback, throw your block.  I agree that there is no reason to get anyone hurt, so free catch all kickoffs and punts, but otherwise let the players play the game.  Team B most likely has done the same, and is letting their backups on the field as well.   Always, show class, shake hand after the game, take pictures with parents and teammates.  Enjoy college football, 4 years go by in a flash. 

This is definitely not always the case.  Many teams have large rosters, but there are plenty that don't.  And in travel situations teams with large rosters may not necessarily have and endless bench to substitute from. 

I don't know what the right answer is on how to deal with lopsided scores.  Some coaches run the (mostly) full offense with 3rd stringers (or deeper)...some of which might not be necessary.  Some kick field goals on first down...which isn't as merciful as it seems, really.  And then everything in between.  I think before people get upset about a lopsided score and how a team handled the last 10 or 15 or 30 minutes of such a contest, try and see if there's evidence that a coach is trying to embarrass the outmatched team.  If yes, than rabble rouse.  If no, then there's not much to gripe over even if the way that coach went about managing the end of the game isn't the way you would have done it.  There's benefit here in recognizing that it's a really difficult spot for both teams. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: wally_wabash on May 03, 2018, 04:18:05 PM
So my opinion on this subject has changed over the years.
If:  Team A  is up by at least 35
      It is the second half
      Team B is truly outmatched on the field

Then:  Team A pulls its starters.  It seems that every team in D3 (with exception of NESCAC schools) have rosters well over 100 players.  This is the time to get the second string, third string and maybe even some freshman out on the field.  Football practice is miserable, football games are magical.  Any kid who has pushed through spring practice, humped through summer preseason, and worked the "look" squad during the week, deserves to get on the big field and play in an actual game.  Run the offense, rush the quarterback, throw your block.  I agree that there is no reason to get anyone hurt, so free catch all kickoffs and punts, but otherwise let the players play the game.  Team B most likely has done the same, and is letting their backups on the field as well.   Always, show class, shake hand after the game, take pictures with parents and teammates.  Enjoy college football, 4 years go by in a flash. 

This is definitely not always the case.  Many teams have large rosters, but there are plenty that don't.  And in travel situations teams with large rosters may not necessarily have and endless bench to substitute from. 

I don't know what the right answer is on how to deal with lopsided scores.  Some coaches run the (mostly) full offense with 3rd stringers (or deeper)...some of which might not be necessary.  Some kick field goals on first down...which isn't as merciful as it seems, really.  And then everything in between.  I think before people get upset about a lopsided score and how a team handled the last 10 or 15 or 30 minutes of such a contest, try and see if there's evidence that a coach is trying to embarrass the outmatched team.  If yes, than rabble rouse.  If no, then there's not much to gripe over even if the way that coach went about managing the end of the game isn't the way you would have done it.  There's benefit here in recognizing that it's a really difficult spot for both teams.

A crucial point to remember.  Notwithstanding Gregg Easterbrook (is he still around?), almost no coach enjoys a blow-out win much more than a blow-out loss (well, maybe a little more! ;D).  Avoiding a blow-out is sometimes impossible, given the disparities in talents, but I really think MOST coaches try MOST of the time.  (Though occasionally not.  Woody Hayes, when asked why he went for two [already up 48-14 late in a 1968 game against "that team up north"], responded "because I couldn't go for three"!  It worked out well - Woody got his pound of flesh, and UM hired some nobody named Bo Schembechler as their new coach. ;D  And I really wish they would rename the Heisman Trophy - John Heisman is IMO totally unworthy, having directed Georgia Tech to a 222-0 win over Cumberland College.)

If you're the winning coach, just make sure your measures are not blatantly patronizing.  Having a RB or WR run out of bounds rather than score an open-field TD is WORSE (IMO) than scoring.  (On the other hand, if you have an Oscar-worthy RB or WR who can convincingly trip himself up and fumble 15 yards from paydirt in a 73-0 game, more power to you! ;D)

pumkinattack

Or, in line with #5 of bombers, remember the derivative of sport that is sportsmanship which no student athlete or coach/educator/leader in higher ed should ignore/avoid or otherwise forget/miss. 

If you're working as hard as possible with class and in the spirit of competition, this shouldn't be a discussion.  Problem is too many, ewpecially and acutely important at the D3 level, have eschewed or ignore this.  If superior teams basically always behaved like MUC does (99% of the time, you can't have 200 kids a year for 20yrs and avoid some bs same as huge corporations can't behave and police everyone all the time) this isn't a thread.  Without pointing fingers there's some staffs and programs that probably don't belong at this level due to that lack of character in sportsmanship.

albatross

or if you're Washington & Lee and the new Sewanee coach lets his players run through your warmups, you run up the score for a different reason...  ;)

jknezek

Quote from: albatross on May 04, 2018, 10:07:03 AM
or if you're Washington & Lee and the new Sewanee coach lets his players run through your warmups, you run up the score for a different reason...  ;)

Yeah. That wasn't real bright. But to be fair, W&L played 3 qbs, had 11 players take a carry, and had 32 different players get or assist on a tackle. The Generals emptied the bench on both sides of the ball, which is how Sewanee got 14 points in the 4th quarter.

smedindy

Quote from: wally_wabash on May 03, 2018, 04:18:05 PM
It seems that every team in D3 (with exception of NESCAC schools) have rosters well over 100 players.   

Oh, no.

Oxy this past year, as you know.

I counted 38 on Grinnell's roster.

There have been seasons where Kenyon and Oberlin have had less than 50 players with linemen playing both sides.

The farther away you get from the Top Tier Conferences and teams, the less likely you'll have a 100 player roster.

It's easy to tell, if there are few duplicates, and holes in the sequence between 51-99, then that's a big sign there aren't 100 players.

smedindy

It's inevitable at times.

But if you play everyone, and play vanilla O and D in the second half, then you shouldn't be criticized.

In the playoffs, the rosters are shorter, so you won't have the #5 QB or the #6 MLB in there.