BB: D3 MLB Draft projections, picks and free-agent signings

Started by AlleyCat, May 29, 2008, 10:12:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OLDC

Wes Perkins Catcher Millsaps on radar of a few teams.

BBFan62

Quote from: Patriotfan87 on May 10, 2013, 04:27:32 AM
UTT has four guys (possibly 5) that are throwing 90+ but I don't know if they are on anyone's radar. Three seniors, two juniors.

92 is the new 88. MLB scouts look at projection and the radar gun, not stats. Numerous teams have guys how "can throw 90+", but how consistently, that's the key. Rochester (NY) had 2 this year.
I was walking past Dave Filak (Oneonta) back in 2010 when my son was a freshman and turned around when I heard the ball pop into the catchers mitt. I had no idea who he was, but did read up on him after seeing his name mentioned on the D3 boards a few times. He threw 94, got drafted that year in the 4th round. He was released this year.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: playball on May 11, 2013, 09:00:59 AM
A lot of good/great players in D3 go undrafted.  A big reason for this is age.  Most players at a D3 play all four years and are 22/23 when they are drafted and are already somewhat behind in development.   I'm not saying it can't be done, but the odds are already against them as age is a big factor.

Most players in D-III are the same age as in D-I, D-II, NAIA.  There are a fair number of D-III players with FA signings so why spend a pick when you can get the afterwards.  Junior standing is the first year you can be drafted out of a four year program so if you show promise through three years, you jr year is when you can draft. 

In another time you also had a lot more negotiation power as a junior but I think that players are slotted into salaries depending on their draft position.

Patriotfan87

Quote from: BBFan62 on May 29, 2013, 03:13:08 PM
Quote from: Patriotfan87 on May 10, 2013, 04:27:32 AM
UTT has four guys (possibly 5) that are throwing 90+ but I don't know if they are on anyone's radar. Three seniors, two juniors.

92 is the new 88. MLB scouts look at projection and the radar gun, not stats. Numerous teams have guys how "can throw 90+", but how consistently, that's the key. Rochester (NY) had 2 this year.
I was walking past Dave Filak (Oneonta) back in 2010 when my son was a freshman and turned around when I heard the ball pop into the catchers mitt. I had no idea who he was, but did read up on him after seeing his name mentioned on the D3 boards a few times. He threw 94, got drafted that year in the 4th round. He was released this year.
All of them but one are big kids with a lot of upside (6-2 or taller). The hardest throwing one of the bunch is 6-4 185# Jr. and lives 92-94, but he seems to be fragile. He didnt pitch at all in the regional and only pitched sparingly over the last half of the season. I think a good strength and conditioning program could take care of that though.

Jim Dixon

Into round 6 of the 2013 MLB draft without a D-III player to have been called.  Last year the first pick went in the 2nd round.

http://www.d3baseball.com/notables/2012/06/2012_D-III_drafted_players

infielddad

I was not able to identify any players selected through the end of day 2 and 10 rounds.
Hopefully, there will be lots of activity tomorrow!

forheavendial4999

Any idea what the latest we've ever gone? Can't say I'm really surprised...didn't seem like the division was that great as a whole this year.

motorman

Quote from: forheavendial4999 on May 11, 2013, 12:01:24 AM
I have no idea if he's actually being scouted or not, but I think Alex Toth should be. Outstanding arm, sterling defense, has been great at handling a very young Marietta staff, hitting .430 and has not swung and missed with two strikes yet this year.

Only gap power, but for catcher that seems less critical. Maxwell only has 1 HR in his pro career so far.

I would think a team could sign him, and even if he doesn't work out could be a great instructional guy for a hotshot 18-19 year old. The amount he has improved in 3 years is almost beyond imagination. At the start of his soph year he was a converted middle infielder that literally could not get a hit. And now he's a likely All-American.

I don't know why a team wouldn't want to see what he can do in the pros."

All you have to do is look at the Marietta roster to see why he won't get drafted. There aren't any 5'9" 190lb catchers in the big leagues.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: forheavendial4999 on June 07, 2013, 07:45:15 PM
Any idea what the latest we've ever gone? Can't say I'm really surprised...didn't seem like the division was that great as a whole this year.

The first player is typically selected in the opening 10 rounds but the second in the 10-20th round.  With no top prospect, it is indeed not surprising to be still looking for the first D-III player.

NWBaseballFan10

Congrats to Tim LoCastro of Ithaca for being the first D3 player selected in the 2013 MLB Draft

Jim Dixon

Quote from: NWBaseballFan10 on June 08, 2013, 01:33:25 PM
Congrats to Tim LoCastro of Ithaca for being the first D3 player selected in the 2013 MLB Draft

Ithaca shortstop Tim Locastro was selected by Toronto in the 13th round, #385 overall

Jim Dixon

Players selected in the 2013 MLB draft

13.  385   Tim Locastro, Ithaca               SS       Toronto
13.  403   Joseph Odom, Huntingdon     C      Atlanta

NWBaseballFan10

2 more D3 players to add to the list of players drafted:

26th Round (ATL) - Dakota Dill (Sul Ross St.) - RHP
28th Round (MIA) Joel Effertz (UW-LaCrosse) - RHP

rolln2

26th round (Hou) William Austin Chrismon (Christopher Newport Univ.) RHP.  May be some confusion as he is listed as being at East Carolina Univ on the draft board.  He pitched for CNU in 2013 after transferring from ECU after the 2012 season.

d3baseball411

Quote from: motorman on June 07, 2013, 09:01:40 PM
Quote from: forheavendial4999 on May 11, 2013, 12:01:24 AM
I have no idea if he's actually being scouted or not, but I think Alex Toth should be. Outstanding arm, sterling defense, has been great at handling a very young Marietta staff, hitting .430 and has not swung and missed with two strikes yet this year.

Only gap power, but for catcher that seems less critical. Maxwell only has 1 HR in his pro career so far.

I would think a team could sign him, and even if he doesn't work out could be a great instructional guy for a hotshot 18-19 year old. The amount he has improved in 3 years is almost beyond imagination. At the start of his soph year he was a converted middle infielder that literally could not get a hit. And now he's a likely All-American.

I don't know why a team wouldn't want to see what he can do in the pros."

All you have to do is look at the Marietta roster to see why he won't get drafted. There aren't any 5'9" 190lb catchers in the big leagues.

at least not anyone good.  http://mlb.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=121358#gameType='R'&sectionType=career&statType=1&season=2013&level='ALL';