TOP 25

Started by short, July 11, 2008, 10:56:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smedindy

I wasn't complaining that they have outsider status, just pointing out facts. No NEED for ALL CAPS.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: smedindy on September 25, 2017, 10:47:17 PM
I wasn't complaining that they have outsider status, just pointing out facts. No NEED for ALL CAPS.

SORRY! :-[

With the frequent ambiguity of typed messages, I try to communicate how I would sound in face contact.  You are far from the first person to complain about my style - obviously my attempt at approximating direct communication (instead of message board communication) is not producing the results I hoped for. :(

wally_wabash

I'm gonna go see if anybody has beaten both Witt and Wabash on the road in the same season.  I'm going with almost surely no, but there's a couple of years in the last 17 that it could have happened.  Updated with results shortly...

Nope, hasn't happened.  2003 Allegheny beat both teams but at home.  2004 Wooster also beat both teams (at Wabash, home vs. Witt).  So 11 days from now, Denison may pull off a never-ever thing.  Which would be really impressive. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Pat Coleman

Going 3-0 against that slate would be an argument for Top 15, Ypsi. But I suspect that the coaches poll would put them Top 10.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Mr. Ypsi

Pat, I can't recall a similar situation.  Highly ranked NCC is in a dogfight with once-highly ranked Wheaton, 13-7 at the half, but the game is now suspended until Monday evening (Wheaton is one of the several schools that will not play on Sundays).  Does the Top 25 come out as usual, or do you postpone to see the result of that game?

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on October 15, 2017, 12:40:18 AM
Pat, I can't recall a similar situation.  Highly ranked NCC is in a dogfight with once-highly ranked Wheaton, 13-7 at the half, but the game is now suspended until Monday evening (Wheaton is one of the several schools that will not play on Sundays).  Does the Top 25 come out as usual, or do you postpone to see the result of that game?

No -- although it definitely started in this week, we'll treat it like we did the W&J-Thiel game a couple of weeks ago. The poll will come out Sunday as planned.

We'll hold for Sunday games/finishes but not on Monday. We're on to the next week.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ralph Turner

UMHB, UMU and UW-Oshkosh are 1 or 2 or 3 on every ballot.  UW-O is 2nd on five ballots.  UMHB is 2nd on 4 ballots.

Ralph Turner

Week #10 Top 25 shows 39 teams getting votes and the Top 25 teams got 8006 of the 8125 possible votes or 98.545% of votes going to the Top 25.

That is a very homogenous Top 25.

Pat Coleman

Bumping this one up to the top with a link to the new poll:
http://www.d3football.com/top25/2018/week2

bleedpurple

Quote from: Pat Coleman on September 09, 2018, 08:07:20 PM

Brockport certainly experiencing the "good news, bad news" dynamic of a poll. The obvious good is that they moved from five to four and picked up 15 points, I'm assuming from UW-O.  However, behind them North Central picked up a whopping 46 points, taking advantage of both the UW-O and Linfield losses.  That decreased the margin between Brockport and North Central from 37 to just 6, even though both won their games.  I guess it's just a reminder that the "Points" gap between two teams can be deceiving if there is at least one team between the two in a poll.  In other words, the 37 point gap after week 1 between Brockport and NC didn't necessarily mean voters had much difference between the two teams. Rather, Linfield was just stuck between them gobbling up points.

bleedpurple

Quote from: bleedpurple on September 10, 2018, 08:06:55 AM

Brockport certainly experiencing the "good news, bad news" dynamic of a poll. The obvious good is that they moved from five to four and picked up 15 points, I'm assuming from UW-O.  However, behind them North Central picked up a whopping 46 points, taking advantage of both the UW-O and Linfield losses.  That decreased the margin between Brockport and North Central from 37 to just 6, even though both won their games.  I guess it's just a reminder that the "Points" gap between two teams can be deceiving if there is at least one team between the two in a poll.  In other words, the 37 point gap after week 1 between Brockport and NC didn't necessarily mean voters had much difference between the two teams. Rather, Linfield was just stuck between them gobbling up points.

Taking my previous post one step further, it could be argued that the gap between Washington and Jefferson (#13) and Wittenberg (#14) is actually GREATER than the gap between W&J and (#15) UW-0.  Why? Because irrespective of comparative results by W&J and UW-0 next week, if Wittenberg loses and UW-0 and W&J both win, then UW-0 would likely gain 25 votes on W&J and the President's lead over the new #14 team (UW-0) Shrinks from 23 to just 3.

wally_wabash

Quote from: bleedpurple on September 10, 2018, 08:21:12 AM

Taking my previous post one step further, it could be argued that the gap between Washington and Jefferson (#13) and Wittenberg (#14) is actually GREATER than the gap between W&J and (#15) UW-0.  Why? Because irrespective of comparative results by W&J and UW-0 next week, if Wittenberg loses and UW-0 and W&J both win, then UW-0 would likely gain 25 votes on W&J and the President's lead over the new #14 team (UW-0) Shrinks from 23 to just 3.

Wittenberg is at Oberlin next week and if they lose that game, I'll fly a UWW Warhawk avatar until Week 11. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

JCUStreaks70

Quote from: wally_wabash on September 10, 2018, 08:52:24 AM

Wittenberg is at Oberlin next week and if they lose that game, I'll fly a UWW Warhawk avatar until Week 11.

Is that a promise??? ;) lol
AMDG

2016 OAC CHAMPS! AND MY OWN SELF-PROCLAIMED RUNNERS-UP TO THE RUNNERS-UP.

bleedpurple

Quote from: wally_wabash on September 10, 2018, 08:52:24 AM

Just used that as a rhetorical example but count me down as rooting for Oberlin this week!  ;) 

USee