CCIW

Started by Mr. Ypsi, September 04, 2009, 08:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blooter442

Quote from: Gregory Sager on August 09, 2018, 03:28:28 PM
I'm curious as to who picked Carthage over North Park.

...because he's out to get them. ;)

Gregory Sager

Oh, I'm perfectly fine with the coaches picking whomever they like wherever they like. My curiosity is simply in the service of garnering knowledge. ;)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gotberg

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best

Gotberg

Quote from: Gotberg on August 14, 2018, 09:52:11 PM
Looks like it's confirmed that Gustav is with the Toreros:  http://www.usdtoreros.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/gustav_ericsson_1071662.html

Gustav is a starter for his USD's first regular season game.  Congrats to him and can't say I'm surprised.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best

Gregory Sager

I'm surprised. NCAA rules say that you have to redshirt a year if you transfer from D3 to D1. I wonder if that's only true if you accept a scholarship, though. Perhaps the rule now is that you can do this if you play your first year in D1 as a walk-on.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Ejay

Side note, US Colleges are our primary player development vehicle, and UCSD's roster is 40% foreign. The NCSA is just as guilty as the USSF for failing our youth. [End rant]

Gotberg

Quote from: EB2319 on August 25, 2018, 07:45:56 AM
Side note, US Colleges are our primary player development vehicle, and UCSD's roster is 40% foreign. The NCSA is just as guilty as the USSF for failing our youth. [End rant]

Point taken, but just to clarify, Gustav is at USD and not UCSD.

Gregory Sager

Gustav's still in touch with his former NPU coaches and teammates. I get the impression that his main reason for leaving was because of money. (Although it's easy to understand the allure of San Diego for a Swede; I don't think I've ever met one who didn't get excited about spending time in Florida, Arizona, or California.) An interesting note is that the box score for his first-ever D1 match indicated that there were only 248 people in attendance at Torero Stadium. Looking back at San Diego's archives, unless USD hosts D1 powerhouse UCLA, the Toreros don't seem to draw as well on average as North Park does.

The annual alumni scrimmage took place today at Hedstrand Field. The freshmen -- who consisted of two complete units, and there were still guys left over -- beat the alumni, 4-3.  Several of the NPU frosh drew my attention, but two that I've been led to believe will see immediate varsity time are midfielders Angel "Tarzan" Barriga from Fenton, and a Dutch import named Kamiel Vermeulen.

It's a great sign of how far the program has come that none of the NPU regulars even dressed today. The alumni game used to be a very spirited and high-flying affair that really pushed the varsity starters. This afternoon, they simply stood around the side gate of the stadium and watched the freshmen play.

Gotberg

Quote from: Gregory Sager on August 26, 2018, 12:35:28 AM
Gustav's still in touch with his former NPU coaches and teammates. I get the impression that his main reason for leaving was because of money. (Although it's easy to understand the allure of San Diego for a Swede; I don't think I've ever met one who didn't get excited about spending time in Florida, Arizona, or California.) An interesting note is that the box score for his first-ever D1 match indicated that there were only 248 people in attendance at Torero Stadium. Looking back at San Diego's archives, unless USD hosts D1 powerhouse UCLA, the Toreros don't seem to draw as well on average as North Park does.

The annual alumni scrimmage took place today at Hedstrand Field. The freshmen -- who consisted of two complete units, and there were still guys left over -- beat the alumni, 4-3.  Several of the NPU frosh drew my attention, but two that I've been led to believe will see immediate varsity time are midfielders Angel "Tarzan" Barriga from Fenton, and a Dutch import named Kamiel Vermeulen.

It's a great sign of how far the program has come that none of the NPU regulars even dressed today. The alumni game used to be a very spirited and high-flying affair that really pushed the varsity starters. This afternoon, they simply stood around the side gate of the stadium and watched the freshmen play.

I watched about 5 minutes of the USD game online.  There was no audio and I didn't see a single fan sitting in the stands across from the camera.

Falconer

Quote from: Gregory Sager on August 25, 2018, 02:58:20 AM
I'm surprised. NCAA rules say that you have to redshirt a year if you transfer from D3 to D1. I wonder if that's only true if you accept a scholarship, though. Perhaps the rule now is that you can do this if you play your first year in D1 as a walk-on.

I share Mr Sager's surprise. I also thought I knew that something fishy is going on here. But, according to the NCAA, here is what appears to be the pertinent rule (http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/current/transfer-terms):

"One-time transfer exception: If you transfer from a four-year school, you may be immediately eligible to compete at your new school if you meet ALL the following conditions:

You are transferring to a Division II or III school, or you are transferring to a Division I school in any sport other than baseball, men's or women's basketball, football (Football Bowl Subdivision) or men’s ice hockey. If you are transferring to a Division I school for any of the previously-listed sports, you may be eligible to compete immediately if you were not recruited by your original school and you have never received an athletics scholarship.

You are academically and athletically eligible at your previous four-year school.

You receive a transfer-release agreement from your previous four-year school."

In this situation, then, it appears that Gustav and USD might be within the rules. Obviously he didn't have a scholarship at NPU; presumably he would have been eligible to play this fall at NPU; and, apparently, NPU gave him a release. Those who know more about such things will, I hope, chime in and clarify this...

Gregory Sager

I'm sure that North Park gave Gustav Ericsson a release if he requested one. What I don't get is the codicil that he would be eligible to compete immediately at USD only if North Park hadn't recruited him. NPU did recruit him, just as almost every player in D3 soccer who has a significant role on his team was recruited by that school. But is an auditor really going to investigate that?

Falconer

Quote from: Gregory Sager on August 26, 2018, 09:55:29 AM
I'm sure that North Park gave Gustav Ericsson a release if he requested one. What I don't get is the codicil that he would be eligible to compete immediately at USD only if North Park hadn't recruited him. NPU did recruit him, just as almost every player in D3 soccer who has a significant role on his team was recruited by that school. But is an auditor really going to investigate that?

I think you misread the rule--but, so did I at first, such that I edited my original post and deleted a second that included quoting the definition of "recruited" given elsewhere in the same section on the NCAA web site. The sentence reads in full, "If you are transferring to a Division I school for any of the previously-listed sports, you may be eligible to compete immediately if you were not recruited by your original school and you have never received an athletics scholarship." Like you, my first response was to say to myself, well, we know for sure that Gustav was "recruited," and I was going to quote the definition of "recruited" to back up my opinion: among other things, it spells out that a student is recruited if a coach has contact with them off campus. I think we can presume that Gustav probably had contact with an NPU coach in Sweden, which certainly qualifies as off campus. But, then I reread it all in context.

In context, it seems clearly to state that this language applies only to certain sports, and soccer isn't on that list. So, we're back to the three-point checklist, and presumably Gustav can check off all three. In which case, he's good to go, unless he transfers yet again, at which point he's no longer a one-time exemption.

On the other hand, if I'm reading too much into this, and in fact Gustav shouldn't be playing this fall, then if I'm a coach or AD competing with USD, I'm on the phone to the NCAA tomorrow morning to alert them to a possible rules violation.

Gregory Sager

North Park opened the season this evening with a 3-0 win over Illinois Tech at IIT's Stuart Field. I had to keep checking the game program to figure out who I was looking at -- John Born used 22 Vikings in the match (one of them, #33 Patrick Knap, was omitted from the box score, likely an oversight by a busy scorer), and that group of 22 included five sophomores and ten freshmen. Two of the freshmen, Joachim Hoff and Benjamin Nygaard (both Norwegians) scored, with sophomore Alfredo "Sauce" Pichardo, a part-time reserve last season, notching his first collegiate goal as well. The Vikings scored twice in the opening eight minutes, and then the floodgate of substitutions opened.

NPU utterly dominated throughout, winning the battle of shots, 13 (8) to 2 (2), and corners by 8-0. Matthias Stulen didn't have to exert himself to record the shutout, as he didn't even touch the ball for the first time until the match was nearly ten minutes old and was never seriously challenged. Nevertheless, the Vikings didn't look all that sharp as a team. As you'd expect with so many new faces out on the pitch and so much substituting, there were a ton of missed connections and miscommunications. The Vikings basically ran off the Scarlet Hawks on sheer athleticism and ball skills. Once the newbies get a few matches under their belts and start to click with the returning players, watch out. NPU looks like it could be stacked for the next several seasons.

Among the freshmen who stood out to me were Hoff (a big, heady center forward), Angel Barriga (aptly named, because he doesn't run, he flies), and Deni Cresto (a canny Brazilian midfielder who did a nice job of quarterbacking the team from the middle of the pitch and who assumed the right-footed set-piece duties taken by Gustav Ericsson last season). Knap, the kid who played but didn't get into the box score, was a dominant force in the Public League last year playing for Taft, and the coaches are high on him as well. In terms of returnees, Gustav Leander appears to be fully healed from the broken leg that kept him out most of last season, as he was much more mobile tonight than he was during last season's playoff run; the back line of Kyle Robson, Leander, Ricky Pimentel, and Jason Gonzalez has the potential to be the best that North Park has ever fielded. Shatil Khoury, who didn't start, is back from his preseason leg injury and played a lot of second-half minutes. That was great to see; the Vikings need Khoury up top to really click.

Nevertheless, I wouldn't put a lot of stock in this outcome, although I do think that Illinois Tech (1-1) will ultimately acquit itself fairly well in the NACC. The Scarlet Hawks were picked 6th of 12 in the NACC preseason poll, which isn't bad for a side that's totally unfamiliar to the other NACC coaches, seeing as how this is Illinois Tech's first season in the league. But, realistically, this was viewed as a warmup by the Vikings coaches, who treated it accordingly in terms of the players used and the minutes distribution.

I always enjoy watching a sporting event at IIT. What a cool campus that is.

D3soccerwatcher

Sager - Nice write up. Thanks for the report.

Gotberg

Quote from: Gregory Sager on September 02, 2018, 11:23:16 PM
North Park opened the season this evening with a 3-0 win over Illinois Tech at IIT's Stuart Field. I had to keep checking the game program to figure out who I was looking at -- John Born used 22 Vikings in the match (one of them, #33 Patrick Knap, was omitted from the box score, likely an oversight by a busy scorer), and that group of 22 included five sophomores and ten freshmen. Two of the freshmen, Joachim Hoff and Benjamin Nygaard (both Norwegians) scored, with sophomore Alfredo "Sauce" Pichardo, a part-time reserve last season, notching his first collegiate goal as well. The Vikings scored twice in the opening eight minutes, and then the floodgate of substitutions opened.

NPU utterly dominated throughout, winning the battle of shots, 13 (8) to 2 (2), and corners by 8-0. Matthias Stulen didn't have to exert himself to record the shutout, as he didn't even touch the ball for the first time until the match was nearly ten minutes old and was never seriously challenged. Nevertheless, the Vikings didn't look all that sharp as a team. As you'd expect with so many new faces out on the pitch and so much substituting, there were a ton of missed connections and miscommunications. The Vikings basically ran off the Scarlet Hawks on sheer athleticism and ball skills. Once the newbies get a few matches under their belts and start to click with the returning players, watch out. NPU looks like it could be stacked for the next several seasons.

Among the freshmen who stood out to me were Hoff (a big, heady center forward), Angel Barriga (aptly named, because he doesn't run, he flies), and Deni Cresto (a canny Brazilian midfielder who did a nice job of quarterbacking the team from the middle of the pitch and who assumed the right-footed set-piece duties taken by Gustav Ericsson last season). Knap, the kid who played but didn't get into the box score, was a dominant force in the Public League last year playing for Taft, and the coaches are high on him as well. In terms of returnees, Gustav Leander appears to be fully healed from the broken leg that kept him out most of last season, as he was much more mobile tonight than he was during last season's playoff run; the back line of Kyle Robson, Leander, Ricky Pimentel, and Jason Gonzalez has the potential to be the best that North Park has ever fielded. Shatil Khoury, who didn't start, is back from his preseason leg injury and played a lot of second-half minutes. That was great to see; the Vikings need Khoury up top to really click.

Nevertheless, I wouldn't put a lot of stock in this outcome, although I do think that Illinois Tech (1-1) will ultimately acquit itself fairly well in the NACC. The Scarlet Hawks were picked 6th of 12 in the NACC preseason poll, which isn't bad for a side that's totally unfamiliar to the other NACC coaches, seeing as how this is Illinois Tech's first season in the league. But, realistically, this was viewed as a warmup by the Vikings coaches, who treated it accordingly in terms of the players used and the minutes distribution.

I always enjoy watching a sporting event at IIT. What a cool campus that is.

I watched a little of the game video this morning, which is available via Illinois Tech's athletic site.  I had seen the Deni Cresto recruiting video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w41TYyXAn4g  on youtube, but found it hard to believe that 'kid' could be coming to NPU.  He's really impressive and will be a great distributor.

I think I read that Barriga scored 35 goals and had 24 assists last year?  I don't know who Fenton plays, but I know it's not small school ball in rural Ohio, so those must be serious numbers.

Knap isn't listed on NPU's website either, which is why he's probably not in the box score since he doesn't exist to a degree.

Individual skill did not drop after substitutions.  it's going to be Born's job to find the right combinations and I suspect some subs will eventually be starters....