Stephen Strasburg

Started by Mr. Ypsi, June 08, 2010, 08:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hickory_cornhusker

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on June 08, 2010, 11:31:03 PM
Quote from: szlongball on June 08, 2010, 10:56:10 PM
I'll wait to get on the bandwagon after he has faced some rea ltough teams.  Sure that is why they scheduled him to make his debut against the Pirates.

I'm not putting him in the Hall of Fame just yet. :P

But against anyone, that is an impressive start.

Any reason to diss the kid?

Possibly the fact that we have had to sit through half a season of ESPN trying to get the Cy Young Award changed to the Steven Stasburg Award.

Pat Coleman

He didn't run out that ground ball. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Mr. Ypsi

I agree that he has been hyped unmercifully.

But is there any evidence that that is HIS fault?  (Quite possibly at least partially Scott Boras's fault, but Strasburg's?)

And for tonight, it looked justified.  We'll see.

szlongball

Not really. Just hated how he held out to sign until the deadline, has Scott Boras as his agent, and got a ridiculous amount of money. Prefer guys like Drew Storen who signed the day after he was drafted because he wanted to start his career right away.  Yes it was an OUTSTANDING outing tonight by Strasburg. But if you listened to any of the hype today, he could throw a no-hitter and get pulled because of his pitch count. 

szlongball

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on June 08, 2010, 11:58:30 PM

But is there any evidence that that is HIS fault?  (Quite possibly at least partially Scott Boras's fault, but Strasburg's?)

You don't have Scott Boras as your agent and expect anything less.

OshDude

Quote from: sac on June 08, 2010, 10:26:40 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on June 08, 2010, 10:15:25 PM
J. R. Richards and Karl Spooner each had 15 in their debuts, but each of them had three walks (Strasburg had none). I'd call it the most dramatic debut in history!

In the other game, Galarraga is now done after 5 innings of 7-hit, 2-run ball.  Despite his 2009 season, I was already a fan.  But 2009 was such a disaster he started the season in triple A.  Last week's game, with his calm response, made me a fan for life.  With virtually any other pitcher or umpire, that could have gotten VERY ugly.

Jason Hayward and Atlanta Braves fans might disagree. :)
After he hit that first-AB HR, either the PBP guy or Orel Hershiser said, "We may be seeing the next Ted Williams." I started formulating my letter to the editor two seconds later.

ECSUalum

Just hope that he stays healthy!  Hopefully he has the conditioning, coaching/training, and genetics of a Nolan Ryan or Roger Clemens.  If so, he could win Cy Young award early in his career.

He certainly will have his ups and downs early in MLB, but certainly looks to have the basics to be an outstanding young pitcher.

Best of Luck to him and the Nationals.

Also hope Jordan Zimmerman comes back healthy after elbow surgery.  Nats will have some nice young pitchers 8-)

RSSmith

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on June 08, 2010, 11:58:30 PM

Everything I read about him (and, as a Washington Post subscriber, that's plenty) makes me think that he's a really nice kid, humble, with his head on right.  I'm a fan already.
A walk is never as good as a hit!

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on June 08, 2010, 09:09:56 PM
And his night is over.  He certainly deserves the win, so I hope the Nats' pen can hold.

Anyone know how 14 Ks in a MLB debut ranks?

Second coming of Bob Feller but Strasburg is few years older than Feller was when he started. Feller was only 17 years of age, he struck out 17 batters
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

BoBo

Quote from: ECSUalum on June 09, 2010, 10:27:53 AM
Just hope that he stays healthy!  Hopefully he has the conditioning, coaching/training, and genetics of a Nolan Ryan or Roger Clemens.  If so, he could win Cy Young award early in his career.

He certainly will have his ups and downs early in MLB, but certainly looks to have the basics to be an outstanding young pitcher.

Also hope Jordan Zimmerman comes back healthy after elbow surgery.  Nats will have some nice young pitchers 8-)

Things are heading in the right direction...read HERE.
I'VE REACHED THAT AGE
WHERE MY BRAIN GOES
FROM "YOU PROBABLY
SHOULDN'T SAY THAT," TO
"WHAT THE HELL, LET'S SEE
WHAT HAPPENS."

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: BoBo on June 10, 2010, 12:02:09 AM
Quote from: ECSUalum on June 09, 2010, 10:27:53 AM

Things are heading in the right direction...read HERE.

Great news!  I foresee the 'joke' Nats being contenders within 2-3 years.

Just Bill

"The recovery from Tommy John takes 12 to 18 months. Zimmermann has been ahead of schedule. Already, Zimmermann is throwing two- or three-inning simulated games and consistently hitting 93 and 94 miles per hour with his fastball."

Wow. Do you think if I had Tommy John surgery I could throw 93-94 miles per hour? That's impressive.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

Mr. Ypsi

To my great embarassment, after I opened this thread I realized it is Stephen, not Steven, Strasburg.

Hopefully the thread is now corrected for future posts. :P

Mr. Ypsi

Looks like the correction worked.

To all those who didn't correct me, either thank you for not humiliating me, or shame on you for not noticing! :o ;D ;)

magicman

This isn't about Strasburg, but didn't know where else to post it and figured this was as good a spot as any.

Daniel Nava was just called up by the Red Sox from Pawtucket to play in today's game against the Phillies. Batting in the 9th spot he comes up to the plate in the bottom of the 2nd with the bases loaded, no outs, and the Red Sox down 2-1. He promptly deposits the 1st pitch he sees over the right field wall for a grand slam. What's amazing is his story of perseverence and how he didn't give up, until finally at 27 years old he gets his chance and makes the show. He has also doubled in his third at bat. Hollywood should be all over this story.