MBB: Northwest Conference

Started by The Show, March 06, 2005, 08:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WUPHF

To the point about the No. 1 overall seed, Washington University has a 12-11, 6-17 and 11-12 team factoring in to the next regional rankings. Platteville plays River Falls tonight and whomever in the WIAC tourney. 

I have not looked at the number closely, but it seems as though the Pioneers have a case to make.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on February 17, 2018, 02:22:28 PM
First round men's games were going to be in Walla Walla even without the WM women losing.  Someone had misread the calendar - MEN have priority this year for first weekend hosting.

No... the NCAA removed it from the handbooks which is where I double-check it every year.

Yep - admitted the error on Twitter. Men have priority this year, but only one place is it really going to matter and that is at Whitman best I can tell.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

D O.C.

With the far east NWC teams in such rarefied air I would not expect a congratulations for LINFIELD making (barely) the NWC tournament. 
I'll do it. Congratulations for shedding those 3-4 win seasons. It'll be fun having other teams look over their shoulders to see your recruiting and hustle.

A Buc Forever

Linfield has made huge strides the last couple years.  Congrats on making the playoffs. They may have gotten the 4th spot but they are 4 games ahead of the 5th place team. Their place in the playoffs is solid. The top 4 teams really separated themselves from the rest of the league. 

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The NCAA men's basketball regional advisory committees released their third set of rankings, and as expected, the Atlantic Region was among those getting shuffled. (Whitworth can breathe a little easier) Here's the full list: http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2018/02/men-regional-rankings-third

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

(509)Rat

Congrats to Kyle Roach on being named NWC player of the year. He's the 10th Pirate to win the award since 2003. I've already made the popcorn for anyone that wants to sit and join me in watching the butthurt that's about to flow through blackhawks keyboard. Bridgeland named coach of the year and Roggenbuck of Linfield names freshman of the year.

http://nwcsports.com/sports/mbkb/2017-18/releases/All-NWC-MBSK-2018

First Team
Pos / Name                                                             Class        Hometown / High School
G / Kyle Roach, Whitworth #....................................... Jr          Marinwood, Calif. / Marin Academy
G / Jimmy Wohrer, Puget Sound.................................. Jr          Redwood City, Calif. / Serra
G / Joey Hewitt, Whitman %....................................... Jr          Lafayette, Calif. / Acalanes
G / Tim Howell, Whitman *........................................ Sr         Calabasas, Calif. / Viewpoint School
C / Jordan Clark Linfield............................................. Sr         Antioch, Calif. / De La Salle
F / Nate Olowo, Pacific (Ore.)...................................... Sr         Rancho Cucamonga, Calif. / Alta Loma

Second Team
Pos / Name                                                             Class        Hometown / High School
F / Jordan Jenkins, Willamette...................................... Jr          Placentia, Calif. / Valencia
G / Mason Green-Richards, George Fox.......................... Jr          Eugene, Ore. / South Eugene
G / Austin Butler, Whitman #...................................... Jr          Los Angeles, Calif. / The Buckley School
F / Jared Christy, Whitworth #..................................... Jr          Spokane, Wash. / Ferris
G / Andrew Vickers, Lewis & Clark %........................... So        Vancouver, Wash.  / Columbia River

Honorable Mention
G / Ben College, Whitworth......................................... So        Portland, Ore. / Central Catholic
G / Thomas Rico, George Fox %.................................. Sr         Glendora, Calif. / Glendora
W / Jack Stewart, Whitman.......................................... Jr          Seattle, Wash. / Seattle Prep
G / Easton Driessen, Puget Sound................................. Sr         Brewster, Wash. / Wenatchee Valley
G / Garrett Hull, Whitworth......................................... Jr          Ellensburg, Wash. / Ellensburg
G / Dempsey Roggenbuck, Linfield............................... Fr         Marin County, Calif. / Redwood

BluesBrother

I'm disappointed Butler didn't make 1st team. I realize they probably didn't want three Blues on 1st team and it'd be hard not to have Howell or Hewitt there, but he's probably had the best season of the three.

Roach as POY makes sense. He has carried Whitworth all year.

Smitty Oom

Quote from: BluesBrother on February 22, 2018, 03:32:17 PM
I'm disappointed Butler didn't make 1st team. I realize they probably didn't want three Blues on 1st team and it'd be hard not to have Howell or Hewitt there, but he's probably had the best season of the three.

Roach as POY makes sense. He has carried Whitworth all year.

Agree with you Blues Brother. From a very distant view (granted I have watched some NWC games this year on Apple TV :)), I thought that Butler should be on the first team over Howell.

I like Roach for POY, congrats to him.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I might take a different approach. I would have had Butler on the first team as well, but I would have put Howell on the second team. I know he is darn good, but I think without the way Hewitt, Butler, and others played, Whitman isn't undefeated right now. I think they are possibly going to be better next year.

D O.C.

Ooo! The Whits let LINFIELD back within 2 at half.
GO ' CATS!

A Buc Forever

All-Star teams favor the offensive stars of each team. You do not always get the best players, the most important players, etc in the right places on the teams.  Also, given the distance between the top four teams and the rest of the league, I have a hard time putting anyone from the bottom part of the league on the first team.  You can say anything you want about who the player of the year is, etc., but Howell drew the foul on Roach and hit the two biggest free throws of the year in the moment that counted...so far.  I'm sure Roach would give up his POY award to give that play a do over.

Linfield looking good, but lots of teams have held their own with Whitman for the first half and gotten blown out. Linfield's depth may keep them in it, but still betting on a blow out.

(509)Rat

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 22, 2018, 09:34:29 PM
I might take a different approach. I would have had Butler on the first team as well, but I would have put Howell on the second team. I know he is darn good, but I think without the way Hewitt, Butler, and others played, Whitman isn't undefeated right now. I think they are possibly going to be better next year.

As someone who watches a fair amount of NWC basketball, Howell is more important to their success than Hewitt. I'll give someone Butler.

Anyone who thinks they'll be better without Howell is about to find out just how important he is. He's either a huge p**** or he's done for the year with a knee injury.

(509)Rat

And the answer is yuuuuuuge p****

When you roll around on the ground long enough to get play stopped, lay there for another couple of minutes and then need help to hop off the court and into the locker room...you don't check back in 2 minutes later. I was ok with the taunting of opposing fans or whatever the old guys got upset about but this is where I start losing respect for a player.

D O.C.

So... The NWC tourney falls in place as expected.
The #1 team in the country pacing itself?

blackhawks4

Whitman did not look as sharp as they should.  If Linfield only turns the ball over 25 times tonight instead of 30, that could have gotten scary.

Really impressed by Linfield.  That coach has done an incredible job over there.  I look forward to seeing them next year.  I actually see them as more of a threat to Whitman in the years to come than Whitworth.

NOBODY is saying that Whitman is better without Howell. He is an All-American. Whitman being better next year is a testament TO Tim Howell--that his leadership brought the program to another level.  That he leaves the place better than when he got there. Without the Tim Howell's, there's not the Darne Duckett's and Trevor Osborne's, and whatever monster class they bring in next year.  I know its a foreign concept in stuck-in-the-mud-Spokane.

But why all this talk about next year? 

Drive the vans out to wine country and get smacked around for the 8th consecutive time.

Let's just get this out of the way now please so you dont give me a headache Saturday night: The "refs are completely one sided," "homered," "they missed a key foul on insert Whitman player here and it totally changed the whole game," "Bridgeland whines," "the players are showboats."

Did I miss any?