Most Innovative Offenses in D3?

Started by tweisman5, January 28, 2018, 09:21:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tweisman5

I've always been enamored with some of the most innovative offensive schemes I can find throughout football regardless of level. Some of the brightest offensive minds are outside of D1, but lack getting the exposure of those who are seen each Saturday on television. So I've been curious as too hear who are some names that run innovative offenses at the D3 level or elsewhere too? Below is my current top 5 minds in the sport today, but I would love to add some D3 flavor to the list!

Here's my list of most notable offensive minds in the sport today:

• Bob Stitt, former head coach at Montana
  • Matt Canada, current OC at Maryland
  • Kevin Kelley, current HC at Paulaski Academy HS
  • Mike Leach, current HC at Washington St
  • Chip Kelly, current HC at UCLA
Go Mustangs!

emma17

This is a very interesting subject. I admit to not having as broad a reach as it would require for me to offer the sort of list you did.
Also, are you looking for innovative only or for successful?
Bill Walsh seems like a top candidate for both.
Josh McDaniels. Yes he has a great QB, but they run an outstanding offense.
John Thorne (former North Central HC) when he was at Wheaton Warrenville South H.S.
Sean Payton
I have to admit Mt. Union's various OC's have been really good.

To name a few.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: tweisman5 on January 28, 2018, 09:21:23 PM
I've always been enamored with some of the most innovative offensive schemes I can find throughout football regardless of level. Some of the brightest offensive minds are outside of D1, but lack getting the exposure of those who are seen each Saturday on television. So I've been curious as too hear who are some names that run innovative offenses at the D3 level or elsewhere too? Below is my current top 5 minds in the sport today, but I would love to add some D3 flavor to the list!

Hal Mumme has left Belhaven.

When he came to McMurry, he turned the program around. McMurry was a 7-2 contender in 1999 with Hardin-Simmons (pre-UMHB dynasty) under Steve Keenum, Minnesota QB Case Keenum's father.  The tragic early death of the Def Coordinator to colon cancer and the departure of the offensive coordinator to the new program at Louisiana College just ripped apart the staff. McMurry went 16-63 from 2001 to 2008, including 0-10 in 2008.

Mumme came and installed the Air Raid offense (of which Mike Leach was a pupil). In the next 3 seasons, he went 4-6, 6-4, and then 9-3, earning a Pool C in 2011. In 2011, the losses were D1-FCS SF Austin, and UMHB times 2. McMurry beat D-1FCS UT-San Antonio and then Trinity in the playoffs. McMurry went D-2 in 2012.

Mumme did that with the recruits whom he recruited prior to 2010 season, prior to the announced move to D-2 before the 2011 season.

tweisman5

Quote from: Ralph Turner on January 29, 2018, 02:12:43 PM
Quote from: tweisman5 on January 28, 2018, 09:21:23 PM

Hal Mumme has left Belhaven.

When he came to McMurry, he turned the program around. McMurry was a 7-2 contender in 1999 with Hardin-Simmons (pre-UMHB dynasty) under Steve Keenum, Minnesota QB Case Keenum's father.  The tragic early death of the Def Coordinator to colon cancer and the departure of the offensive coordinator to the new program at Louisiana College just ripped apart the staff. McMurry went 16-63 from 2001 to 2008, including 0-10 in 2008.

Mumme came and installed the Air Raid offense (of which Mike Leach was a pupil). In the next 3 seasons, he went 4-6, 6-4, and then 9-3, earning a Pool C in 2011. In 2011, the losses were D1-FCS SF Austin, and UMHB times 2. McMurry beat D-1FCS UT-San Antonio and then Trinity in the playoffs. McMurry went D-2 in 2012.

Mumme did that with the recruits whom he recruited prior to 2010 season, prior to the announced move to D-2 before the 2011 season.

Mumme truly has had a pronounced impact on how the game is played today. I forgot he was the original genius behind the Air Raid; something most people don't know. I will say that outside of the coaching circle Leach has really opened the public's awareness for how innovative an offense can be built.
Go Mustangs!

Ralph Turner

Pat Coleman reminded me that Hal Mumme is OC at Jackson State U (Mississippi).

That should be interesting.

tweisman5

Quote from: Ralph Turner on February 28, 2018, 08:52:49 PM
Pat Coleman reminded me that Hal Mumme is OC at Jackson State U (Mississippi).

That should be interesting.

Good to hear he's still involved in the coaching world. I'm curious if he has evolved his offense to include more modern popular tactics such as RPO's or will he stick to his bread and butter.
Go Mustangs!