some DIII summer thinking

Started by sigma one, July 05, 2018, 11:59:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sigma one

sigma one

First, Today:  Many thanks to DIII Football.com for being a treasure trove of information from which I could develop the lists in these posts.  What a resource about DIII!   Thanks, Pat, ET AL.

Purchase KICK OFF 2018, everyone.

Then, on those lists over the past week I've included maybe 50-60 DIII football-playing schools.  That's the was it is when the lists are about who has had the most relative success in DIII over a period of time.  This means that, say, 180 or so schools have not been mentioned--fully two-thirds or more of all schools competing.  But every school in DIvision III has rich history and traditions.  They all deserve to be acknowledged.  Each school has a unique place in the landscape of the division.  I have #of games won  and winning percentage information on all of them.  So, as we go forward to 2018, all success to all the teams in whatever ways they measure their accomplishments.  Whether to compete for a National Championship, make it to the Play Offs, try for a conference title,  aspire to finish above .500,  play to better last year's number of wins, or just win one or two games--all teams are important to the rich fabric of Division III.

I've picked up a lot of bits and pieces as I went through all the information this site provides.  For example, Pennsylvania has 26 schools that will this year field a team--the most of any state.   Arkansas, Delaware, Mississippi,  Nebraska, New Hampshire, Rhode Island,  and
West Virginia are the states with only one DIII football-playing school.  Eight schools use Tigers as a team name/mascot; 8 use Panthers, and 8 more use Pioneers.  Six use Yellow Jackets (or in one case Yellowjackets).  Five use Cougars, Eagles (to make it 6, another uses Golden Eagles), and Spartans.
    And there are some entertaining a unique names:  Kangaroos, Lobos, Bantams, Jumbos, Little Giants, Sagehens, Purple Raiders,
Prairie Wolves, Corsairs, Bullets, Student Princes, Blueboys, Wasps, Maroons, and Poets as some notable examples.

To finish:  23 schools have a team name/mascot that does not end in -S.  Three schools share one name:  Bison (Bethany, Gallaudet, Nichols). Can you match the other 20 schools with their name/mascot?

Yoemen                                                               Cal Lutheran-----
          Green Terror                                                        Carthage-----                                                       
          Storm (2 schools)                                                   Central-----
          Dutch                                                                   Crown-----
          Big Red                                                                Denison-----
          Prairie Fire                                                           Greensboro-----                                                         
          Flying Dutchmen (2 schools)                                  Hobart-----                                 
          Pride (2 schools)                                                   Hope-----
          Norse                                                                   Knox-----
          Big Blue                                                               Lebanon Valley-----
          Lynx                                                                    Luther-----
          Kingsmen                                                             McDaniel-----
          Red Men                                                              Millikan-----
          Statesmen                                                           Oberlin-----             
          Dutchmen                                                            Rhodes-----
          Thunder (2 schools)                                              Simpson-----
                                                                                     Springfield-----     
                                                                                     Trine-----
                                                                                     Union-----
                                                                                     Wheaton-----

As a Bonus:  Thirteen FBS schools use a team name/mascot not ending in -S.  Can you name them?  I'll get you started:  Navy Mid-
       shipmen.

Just Bill

"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

MUC57

sigma one

Thanks and congrats on all the work you put into these last posts. Makes good reading and is really fascinating. Best to ya! Come to Alliance and we'll have a few cold ones and swap stories. ☠🏈🍺
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

Just Bill

Quote from: sigma one on July 13, 2018, 10:09:24 AM
As a Bonus:  Thirteen FBS schools use a team name/mascot not ending in -S.  Can you name them?  I'll get you started:  Navy Mid-
       shipmen.

Stanford Cardinal
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Alabama Crimson Tide
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

Oline89

Quote from: Just Bill on July 13, 2018, 11:05:40 AM
       shipmen.

Stanford Cardinal
Alabama Crimson Tide

Marshall Thundering Herd

HSCTiger74

Quote from: Oline79 on July 13, 2018, 11:53:13 AM
Quote from: Just Bill on July 13, 2018, 11:05:40 AM
       shipmen.

Stanford Cardinal
Alabama Crimson Tide

Marshall Thundering Herd

NC State Wolfpack
Nevada-Reno Wolf Pack
TANSTAAFL

cave2bens

"Forever more as in days of yore Their deeds be noble and grand"

sigma one

All together, there are seven named so far + Navy, for a total of 8.  Only five to go.

Oline89

Quote from: sigma one on July 13, 2018, 02:41:39 PM

All together, there are seven named so far + Navy, for a total of 8.  Only five to go.

Illinois Fighting Illini

bluestreak66

North Texas Mean Green
UMass Minutemen
A.M.D.G.
Whose House? STREAKS' HOUSE!

RIP MUC57- "Go everybody!"

2018 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION
2018 & 2019 ODAC POSTSEASON PICK EM'S CHAMPION
2019 OAC POSTSEASON PICK EM'S CHAMPION

sigma one

That's 11.  Down to the final two. 

retagent

sigma one

Yep, Syracuse Orange.  They dropped the "men" quite a ways back.
Down to one. I think it's the toughest to get of the 13, so no surprise.

cave2bens

Univ of Tulsa Golden Hurricane   ;)

Took some recall but actually had a Purdue prof "riddle me this" a couple of years' ago on a flight between Atlanta and Fort Wayne
"Forever more as in days of yore Their deeds be noble and grand"