Pool C 2018

Started by bluestreak66, October 14, 2018, 02:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Coleman

True. That Pool B bid will go over to Pool A.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

JCUStreaks70

So will then be what was Pool C, now be called Pool B?
AMDG

2016 OAC CHAMPS! AND MY OWN SELF-PROCLAIMED RUNNERS-UP TO THE RUNNERS-UP.

wally_wabash

Quote from: JCUStreaks70 on October 17, 2018, 01:50:36 PM
So will then be what was Pool C, now be called Pool B?

Still Pool C.  Remember that the pool system applies to a bunch of other NCAA sponsored championships as well and they're going to like the consistency across the division. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

RtSLl3100

When will first Regional Rankings come out?

Pat Coleman

Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

wesleydad

The next couple of weeks are going to make poll C very interesting.  If Muhlenberg defeats Hopkins, Wittenberg defeats Wabash, and Brockport defeats Cortland giving each losing team 2 loses likely eliminating the losers, but if the results are reversed Poll C gets crazy.  With the first scenario Hardin Simmons wins out they are in, the winner of the BW/ John Carroll gets in, the winner of the Bethel/St. Thomas gets in, leaving 2 spots left for Oshkosh, Salisbury, if they beat Wesley or Frostburg, CWRU if they win out, Linfield would only have 1 D3 loss, and Centre if they win out.   There are several other teams that could finish with 1 loss, but are in conferences that generally do not get 2 bids.  If the first scenario is reversed you now add Muhlenberg, Wittenberg, and Brockport to the mix.  From the group of Brockport, Wittenberg, Muhlenberg, Hardin Simmons, BW/John Carroll, Bethel/St. Thomas, Oshkosh, Salisbury, CWRU, Linfield, and Centre, who gets in?  That would be tough decision for any committee.

Ralph Turner

The access ratio in D3 for basketball, baseball\, volleyball and soccer is 1 bid : 6.5 eligible teams.

We are rapidly approaching 250 teams.

250 / 6.5  = 38.46, truncated to 38 bids.

Can you imagine what the playoffs would look like if we had 11 Pool C bids?

Pat Coleman

We are, but make sure to drop the NESCAC's 10 teams from your calculations.

MRMIKESMITH

Quote from: Pat Coleman on October 21, 2018, 11:41:14 PM

One of my co-workers played football at one of the NESCAC schools and he indicated that he would have loved to compete outside of the conference. He would have insisted the NESCAC schools play at least 1 OOC game and compete in the national playoff. He indicated that although he enjoyed playing with his teammates, competing for the NESCAC championship and such, he indicated that there was always the "What If?" He believe the best team in the NESCAC could not only beat the other New England teams, but win a playoff game.

hazzben

Quote from: wally_wabash on October 17, 2018, 08:59:02 AM

As the cards sit right now, CWRU doesn't really look like they have a good chance.  BUT- they do at least get on the board, which is more than a lot of other Pool C hopefuls can say (Linfield, Bethel, Centre...to name a few). 

I'm probably missing the obvious, but why do you have UST slotted ahead of BU at this point? I realize you've got to project and prognosticate, but is that just based on recent year's performance? To date, BU has a much better SoS, and better result against SJU (most Johnnie backers felt BU was a much stiffer test).

Questions aside, I think UST/BU winner is a lock (assuming they hold serve against the MIAC dregs). And that UST/BU loser is on the outside looking in. Barring chaos.

wally_wabash

Quote from: hazzben on October 22, 2018, 01:15:47 PM

As the cards sit right now, CWRU doesn't really look like they have a good chance.  BUT- they do at least get on the board, which is more than a lot of other Pool C hopefuls can say (Linfield, Bethel, Centre...to name a few). 

I'm probably missing the obvious, but why do you have UST slotted ahead of BU at this point? I realize you've got to project and prognosticate, but is that just based on recent year's performance? To date, BU has a much better SoS, and better result against SJU (most Johnnie backers felt BU was a much stiffer test).

Questions aside, I think UST/BU winner is a lock (assuming they hold serve against the MIAC dregs). And that UST/BU loser is on the outside looking in. Barring chaos.

I haven't rerun anything through this weekend's results, but at the time of last week's projection, St. Thomas was in line ahead of Bethel because that's where the West region fan poll had them and I'm using the fan polls as surrogate regional rankings until next Wednesday. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

hazzben

Quote from: wally_wabash on October 22, 2018, 01:24:05 PM
Quote from: hazzben on October 22, 2018, 01:15:47 PM

I haven't rerun anything through this weekend's results, but at the time of last week's projection, St. Thomas was in line ahead of Bethel because that's where the West region fan poll had them and I'm using the fan polls as surrogate regional rankings until next Wednesday. 

Makes sense. Thanks for the info. And all the work on this!

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Ralph Turner on October 21, 2018, 11:28:32 PM
The access ratio in D3 for basketball, baseball\, volleyball and soccer is 1 bid : 6.5 eligible teams.

We are rapidly approaching 250 teams.

250 / 6.5  = 38.46, truncated to 38 bids.

Can you imagine what the playoffs would look like if we had 11 Pool C bids?

Quote from: Pat Coleman on October 21, 2018, 11:41:14 PM

240 / 6.5  = 36.92

241 / 6.5  =  37.07

;)

Titan Q

Final:

UW-Stevens Point 27
UW-Oshkosh 21

hazzben

Quote from: Titan Q on October 27, 2018, 05:01:52 PM
Final:

UW-Stevens Point 27
UW-Oshkosh 21

That's a big one that'll have a cascading affect on Pool C. UWSP is not very good. Means WIAC has no shot at Pool C.

Central lost to Coe in the ARC as well. Dubuque and Simpson square off next week. If Simpson wins, that would be a boost to Bethel's Pool C resume.

Wittenberg's loss to Wabash puts them into Pool C convo. But Wabash still has two quality opponents (and one is just a little bit of a rival  ;)) left. NCAC drama is fun to watch right now.