FB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theaprof and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

SaintsFAN

Quote from: Dr. Acula on February 20, 2017, 09:53:06 AM
This MI pipeline is flowing nicely so far this year.  Landed Ryan Westrick according to his twitter account.  6'4" 275 OT from Marshall HS who was 2x All-Conference and HM All-State.

Battle Creek Enquirer All-Area Team

Why is there a focus on Michigan for UMU?  Just curious what is behind it. 
AMC Champs: 1991-1992-1993-1994-1995
HCAC Champs: 2000, 2001
PAC Champs:  2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Bridge Bowl Champs:  1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-2002-2003-2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 (SERIES OVER)
Undefeated: 1991, 1995, 2001, 2009, 2010, 2015
Instances where MSJ quit the Bridge Bowl:  2

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: SaintsFAN on February 20, 2017, 09:20:36 PM
This MI pipeline is flowing nicely so far this year.  Landed Ryan Westrick according to his twitter account.  6'4" 275 OT from Marshall HS who was 2x All-Conference and HM All-State.

They're scared to death that Calvin will take up football, so they want to drain all the players out of the state! ;D

Dr. Acula

I'm not sure.  My memory told me that in the past Mount usually brought in a handful of kids from MI each year and then it recently started spiking.  I went back and looked at my old posts where I break down the freshmen roster by state during camp:

2016:  16 MI kids
2015:  16
2014:  5
2013:  4

And my hunch is that'd pretty much be how it goes as I kept moving backward.

They also added a long-time successful MI HS coach as an assistant coach with one of his main jobs being to recruit MI (he's a current player's dad).  Whatever the reason they seem to be pressing hard up north now.  Like I said before, with the amount of D2's up there I wouldn't have thought it'd be a good spot for them, but it seems to be working out well so far.   

hsbsballcoach7

Quote from: Dr. Acula on February 21, 2017, 10:09:52 AM

I'm not sure.  My memory told me that in the past Mount usually brought in a handful of kids from MI each year and then it recently started spiking.  I went back and looked at my old posts where I break down the freshmen roster by state during camp:

2016:  16 MI kids
2015:  16
2014:  5
2013:  4

And my hunch is that'd pretty much be how it goes as I kept moving backward.

They also added a long-time successful MI HS coach as an assistant coach with one of his main jobs being to recruit MI (he's a current player's dad).  Whatever the reason they seem to be pressing hard up north now.  Like I said before, with the amount of D2's up there I wouldn't have thought it'd be a good spot for them, but it seems to be working out well so far.

I also feel that with all of the recent schools in Ohio going D2, it puts more emphasis on UMU recruiting out of NE Ohio. There were a group of 3-4 boys from Michigan visiting yesterday and seemed to like it. From the looks of their film, they look like players too! I think the addition of a well-respected long time high school coach from Michigan can't hurt either.

section13raiderfan

Just checked out the JCU staff and Woah!...... that nutritionist is gonna have players drooling, and not over the menu either! If thats her real picture . 😘👍.  I think I need a nutritioist too.

Kira & Jaxon's Dad

From Footballscoop.com:

QuoteChicago Bears: The Bears are adding Brandon Staley as outside linebackers coach per Adam Caplan & FootballScoop can confirm. Staley was the 2016 FootballScoop Division-III Coordinator of the Year for his work at John Carroll University. Staley had been slated to go with head coach Tom Arth to UT Chattanooga as defensive coordinator.
National Champions - 13: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017

Dr. Acula

Good for Staley.  That's a huge move for him.  I'm curious to see who Arth targets for his DC now because that too is a really nice job for someone. 

jknezek

I was in Chattanooga for the U.S. Men's Soccer friendly against Jamaica a couple weeks ago. Held in the Mocs stadium, which is a nice FCS stadium if not overwhelming. However, we were surrounded by a bunch of Mocs fans and they were pretty excited about Arth. A little concerned about his ability to deal with all the extra management stuff that comes with scholarship programs, but he made a good impression on them with some meet and greets.

The only real stumbling block they kept bringing up was them realizing he had somewhat of a built-in pipeline at JCU with mid-west Catholic schools and there is no real recruiting built-in with UT-Chatt. Still, overwhelmingly positive and excited for him to be taking the reigns. Most were more than a bit bitter at losing their previous coach in a bidding war to another FCS school...

hsbsballcoach7

Mount Union football notes at OAC indoor track championships. UMU did very well winning the team title.
David Kra 3rd in triple jump (keep an eye on this kid)
Louis Berry 1st in 60 sprint
Clark Etzler 2nd in 500, 1st in 4 x 200 relay
Jalen McGill 5th in 200

New "commits"
Tim Labuda WR/P Belle Vernon, PA (nice possession receiver)
Carlos Agens G/DL Allen Park, MI (mauler at guard)
Tyler Beachnau S Allen Park, MI
Eric Sarbaugh WR/S/K/P North Canton Hoover
Nolan Abbiatici WR/QB/S Pittsburgh, PA (nice potential at WR)

Dr. Acula

And it continues...add 2 more from MI:

Ross Herron QB/LB/S, Berkley MI.  Looks like a dual threat guy.  HM all-state.
Kris Roche RB/LB, Frankenmuth, MI.  He's 5'9" 200 so definitely not a scrawny kid.  Also looks like he wrestles.  I always like that because wrestlers are nearly always very physical and very disciplined.

Sherburne

Quote from: Dr. Acula on February 26, 2017, 05:33:39 PM

Kris Roche RB/LB, Frankenmuth, MI.  He's 5'9" 200 so definitely not a scrawny kid.  Also looks like he wrestles.  I always like that because wrestlers are nearly always very physical and very disciplined.
As well as 'instant' recovery from opponent induced 'upsets'.
Sherb

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Sherburne on February 26, 2017, 05:46:44 PM
Quote from: Dr. Acula on February 26, 2017, 05:33:39 PM

As well as 'instant' recovery from opponent induced 'upsets'.
Sherb

Not to mention well-versed in 'escapes' (RB) and 'takedowns' (LB). ;D

But do note that Frankenmuth is pretty far down the food chain in Michigan (either class C or D - don't recall for sure, but those are the two smallest enrollment divisions).

Dr. Acula

Small division guys are our favorites.  Kmic, Moore, Pugh, Nemeth...all small division guys!

Dr. Acula

Updates from twitter:

D'Angelo Bottley, DB, Henderson NV
Matt Garcia, RB/LB, Phoenixville, PA, 1st team all-state in 5A
Trey Hennekes, WR/S, Cin. Roger Bacon.  Looks like he played QB in HS.

Dr. Acula

I was checking out Matt Garcia's Hudl profile after I saw his HC tweet this:

Evan Breisblatt‏ @Pasdfootball

Congrats to @mattwgarcia will be continuing his academic and athletic career @UMUFootball ! Size don't matter. Can't measure your heart!

He is not a big RB.  5'6" 165.  Definitely small.  But this kid is a monster in the weight room:

Squat:  440
Clean:  260
Bench:  300
Dead:  540
Vertical:  37

Those are huge numbers for a 165 lb HS kid.  He ran for 1820 yds and 18 scores in 10 games in PA's 2nd largest division.  I'm officially intrigued.