MBB: State University of New York Athletic Conference

Started by bamm, March 12, 2005, 09:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magicman

Feb. 9  Full slate of games tonight with all 10 teams in action. All tipping off at 7:30 PM

Buffalo State  at  Oswego State    7:30 PM

The Bengals finally broke their long losing streak with a pair of wins in their last 2 outings. Tonight they face a Laker team who wants to solidify their spot in the playoffs. Buffalo State hasn't been eliminated from the playoffs yet but they need to win out and hope that either Oswego or Oneonta lose their remaining conference games. The oddsmakers have made the Lakers a solid 10 point favorite in this one. I think the Bengals keep it closer but see the Lakers winning by an 83-76 final score.

Fredonia State  at  Cortland State 7:30 PM

The Blue Devils have went 2-2 in their last 4 conference games. A case of too little too late but they can make things tough for the Red Dragons if they play like they have been. Cortland needs to regroup after suffering their longest losing streak...3 games...in over 3 years. The oddsmakers have them listed as an 18 point favorite and they should cover that spread. Cortland 85 Fredonia 65

New Paltz State   at  Geneseo State  7:30 PM

The Hawks have also shown some life lately and first year Coach Kenny has to be happy with the progress the team has made throughout the season. They beat this Geneseo team earlier in the year by a 73-60 score and are coming off a road win at Fredonia. Geneseo won't want to slip up this time around and they are still alive to claim the #2 seed and a first round bye in the playoffs. They certainly want a home game if they have to play in the first round so that is the very least they will be shooting for. They are listed as a 13 point favorite over the Hawks and after their recent 3 game winning streak seem to be peaking at the right time. I'll take the Knights to win this one and cover the spread. Geneseo 81 New Paltz 66   

Oneonta State  at  Brockport State    7:30 PM   Featured Game of the Night

The Red Dragons are tied with the Lakers for the last two spots in the YAC tournament. They can still get a home game but pretty much have to win out and hope the teams ahead of them suffer some losses. I think they finish in 5th or 6th place and hit the road for a first round game. The Golden Eagles still have their sights set on a first round bye. A good chance that won't be determined until the final game of the year against those other Red Dragons in Cortland. Tonight the oddsmakers have made Brockport a 9 point favorite despite an earlier 87-83 victory by Oneonta back in December. It's tough to beat the Golden Eagles in Brockport. I see Port winning this one 87-81. 

Potsdam State  at   Plattsburgh State  7:30 PM

The North Country rivals go at it once more and Plattsburgh looking to keep their long 14 game winning streak alive. (3rd longest current streak in the country in Division III).

The Cardinals have already claimed the top seed in the SUNYAC playoffs and will look to add to their overall resume in the event an at large bid is needed to gain entry into the NCAA tournament. Potsdam is looking to finish with a winning record and is mathematically still alive for a playoff spot. They need to win out and get some help to do so and I don't think it will happen, but they did show a ton of improvement this year and Coach Jim Bechtel has them headed in the right direction. The oddsmakers have Plattsburgh listed as a 20 point favorite and I think they win by a few more. Plattsburgh 95 Potsdam 70.   

magicman

Friday Night's final scores.

Plattsburgh State 104  Potsdam State 76

Oswego State 69   Buffalo State 59

Cortland State 75  Fredonia State 52

Brockport State 89   Oneonta State 72

Geneseo State 81  New Paltz State 67

magicman

Feb. 10    Four games on tap all with implications in the playoff spots. Tip off time is 3:00 PM for all games.

Fredonia State  at  Oswego State        3:00 PM

The Lakers moved into sole possession of 5th place with their win last night over Buff State. The SUNYAC website is not showing that the Lakers have clinched a playoff spot but with 8 wins nobody can knock them out of at least the 6th seed. None of the bottom 4 teams can get to 8 wins. So they are in and will probably have to travel to the likely 4th seed...Geneseo... for a first round playoff game, although they still have an outside chance of moving up to the 4th seed. Fredonia is playing for pride and hoping for a copuple of more wins to end the season on a positive note. Oddsmakers have the Lakers favored by 12 points. They should cover the spread. Oswego 74 Fredonia 60.

Oneonta State  at    Geneseo State        3:00 PM   Featured Game of the Day

These Red Dragons need to win a game to secure a playoff berth. They have 3 tough ones left and they are all on the road. They are currently in the midst of a 5 game losing streak and 2 of those games were conference games they could have won. Tonight they take on the Knights who are playing their best ball of the year and then Oneonta has to travel North to face Plattsburgh who has been awesome since the new year began. If they lose those two games they will face a "winner is in" game against Potsdam on February 17th. There is a good chance if Potsdam wins that game that they might own the tiebreaker over Oneonta.

Geneseo still looking to claim the #2 seed and it's certainly a possibility but Brockport would need to lose two of their final 3 games since the Golden Eagles would own the tiebreaker over the Knights by virtue of their win over Plattsburgh State. They can leapfrog Cortland for the #3 seed though if they win their 2nd meeting on Feb 16th.

The oddsmakers have made the Knights an 8 point favorite in this one and Geneseo should cover. I think it will be Geneseo 82 Oneonta 72.

New Paltz State at  Brockport State        3:00 PM

The Golden Eagles can't afford any slip ups here if they want to capture the 2nd seed and get the first round bye. Next weekend will be two road games in places they have trouble winning so taking care of business today is essential. The Hawks would also like to end the season on a positive note but seem up against it today. The oddsmakers have made Brockport a 14 point favorite, I think they win by a few more.  Brockport  87  New Paltz 68.

Buffalo State    at  Cortland State        3:00 PM

The Bengals are looking to play the spoiler role and have something to celebrate in a rebuilding year. The Red Dragons have business to take care up to claim the #2 seed. A loss here and they could head into next weekend with a must win situation to avoid falling into a road game in the playoffs. I don't think that will happen but the SUNYAC has had stranger things occur over the years. The oddsmakers have made Cortland a 15 point favorite in this one. I think the Red Dragons win by an 85-67 final score.   

Bengalsrule

Tough ride home. This is the first time in years that i can remember my BENGALS out of the playoff hunt with a week to go.  I feel for Mike, J O and Malik.  Was wishing that they could have left with a shot at the chip. But alas...it ain't happening. 

Times like this help our boys grow. I'm hoping that the guys look at thier last game vs Fredonia as a chance to close out with a win.  They deserve it.

Go BENGALS

magicman

Final scores from Saturday Afternoon.

Geneseo State 73  Oneonta State 68

Oswego State 76  Fredonia State 73

Brockport State 97 New Paltz State 67

Cortland State 105 Buffalo State 88

The SUNYAC site finally acknowledging that Oswego won a playoff spot but they didn't need to win on Saturday to clinch one having already done so when they beat Buffalo State on Friday night.

Brockport and Cortland still on a collision course to see who gets the #2 seed that may come down to the last day of the season when they meet in Cortland.

Geneseo still has hopes of crashing the Cort-Port party by winning out.   

magicman

The new D3hoops Top 25 came out last night and Plattsburgh State which was in 27th place last week with 37 votes increased their vote total to 61 for this week. However they went backward instead of forward as they slipped to the 28th spot.

The Cardinals only played 1 game last week and that may have hurt their chances to move up. Also Johns Hopkins who did not  receive a single vote last week, captured the fancy of a number of voters (and rightly so) after they won back to back double overtime victories against 2 ranked teams. They leapt over at least 20 teams to enter the Top 25 in 22nd place. Salem State, who was in 26th place last week, was the only other new entry into the Top 25 as they claimed the final spot in the poll.

Hobart moved up to #21 with 120 votes from last week's  #25 with 57 votes.

No other East Region team got a mention.

magicman

The SUNYAC Player of the Week for the week ending 2/11/18 was Geneseo's Quinn Carey. Congratulations to Quinn on his big weekend. Here's the writeup from the SUNYAC website.

Quinn Carey, MBB, AOW, Geneseo     
Carey averaged 27.5 points per game in a pair of SUNYAC wins as the Knights took down conference foes New Paltz, 81-67, on Friday night and Oneonta, 73-68, on Saturday. Against the Hawks, Carey tied a pair of career-highs with 31 points and seven made three-pointers, shooting 61.5% from the floor, including 58.3% from behind the arc, and added four rebounds and a block. In the Knights' win over the Red Dragons, Carey scored 24 points, including a perfect 8-for-8 from the foul line, and grabbed six rebounds and a steal. He ranks 16th in the nation and leads the conference in made three-point field goals per game (3.57).

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

magicman

The 2nd Regional Rankings didn't show much change from last week. Same 8 treams are ranked with the first two and the last three in the exact same spots they were last week. Hobart and Plattsburgh State are still 1-2 and the only change is Cortland and Brockport both leapfrogging over Rochester to come in 3rd and 4th.

magicman

Nice front page article on the Plattsburgh State Cardinals by D3hoops columnist Andrew Lovell.

Here's the link:

http://www.d3hoops.com/columns/around-the-region/east/index

magicman

Feb. 16   
Four games today in the YAC with playoff implications for 6 of the 8 teams. Only Plattsburgh the #1 seed and New Paltz already
eliminated from the playoffs won't be affected by the outcome of today's games. All games tip off at 7:30 PM.

Geneseo State  at  Cortland State        7:30 PM   Co-featured Game of the Day

Geneseo still trying to gain the 2nd seed so they have plenty of incentive to pull off the upset here. They also can secure a home playoff game in the first round with 1 more win if they fail to gain the 2nd seed. Cortland has to avoid looking ahead to the Brockport game tomorrow because the Blue knights just might be more dangerous than any other team that doesn't have a Cardinal for a mascot. The oddsmakers  have made the Red Dragons a 6 point favorite in this one. Geneseo hung with Plattsburgh back on January 19th giving them their closest game in the past ten contests losing to the Cardinals in Plattsburgh by a 79-73 score.  The Knights also defeated Cortland in their first meeting by a sizable margin 77-53. I think they can win on the road as well. I'll take the Knights in a close one 76-73 over Cortland.       

Brockport State  at  Oswego State           7:30 PM Co-featured Game of the Day

Brockport  would love a first round bye and they just may get it but to do so they will still have to beat Cortland on Saturday. If they defeat Cortland then they win tiebreakers against Cortland and Geneseo by virtue of their win against Plattsburgh. Oswego is still alive to get a home playoff game but needs to win both games this weekend. The Golden Eagles are listed as a 3 point road favorite but they have struggled in Laker Hall's Max Ziel Gym, going 2-8 there in the last 10 trips. I think that Brockport manages to win a close one today, however and set the stage for a big showdown tomorrow with Cortland.  Brockport 77 Oswego 74     

New Paltz State  at  Potsdam State        7:30 PM

The Bears are clinging to their playoff life by a slender thread, but a win tonight over the Hawks, combined by help from their North Country neighbor, Plattsburgh, over Oneonta will put Potsdam in some control of their destiny when they face Oneonta tomorrow afternoon. Another win would give them the tiebreaker over the Red Dragons if the other Red Dragons come in 2nd place. If Brockport comes in 2nd then Oneonta wins the tiebreaker. The Bears are listed as 4 point favorites against the Hawks who would just like to improve their won-loss record. I'm rooting for my alma mater here and think the Bears have more to play for. Potsdam lost their point guard to a season ending injury but I still think Potsdam wins this one. Potsdam 75 New Paltz 72.

Oneonta State  at  Plattsburgh State   7:30 PM

These Red Dragons need to win 1 game this weekend to claim a playoff berth, or have Potsdam lose both their games. My predictions think that both of those possibilities will have to wait until tomorrow to take place. Plattsburgh is simply trying to improve their overall record. They want to look good in case an at large bid is needed to gain entry into the NCAA tournament, should the Cardinals not win the SUNYAC conference tournament. Two wins this weekend would give them a 20-4 regular season record and extend their winning streak to 17 straight games and 71 straight days without a loss. The 2nd longest current winning streak in the nation. Oneonta would love to pull off the upset here as Coach Conover is 0-3 against his former mentor. Plattsburgh won by 37 points 20 days ago and they are favored by 15 points in today's game. I think they win by a few more. Plattsburgh 92 Oneonta 68. 

magicman

Friday finals scores.

Cortland State 76  Geneseo State 52

Brockport State 69  Oswego State 67

Potsdam State 68 New Paltz State 56

Plattsburgh State 95  Oeonta State 74

magicman

Feb. 17  Everyone in action on the final day of the regular season. Several playoff spots still in play. All games tip off at 3:00    

Buffalo State  at Fredonia State        3:00 PM

Lot of pride on the line in this game. Which team will walk off the court feeling a little better about their last game. The oddsmakers have made the Blue Devils a slight two point favorite. I'm taking the Bengals to avoid the season sweep. Buffalo State 82 Fredonia 77

Geneseo State  at  Oswego State        3:00 PM

These two teams are locked into their playoff spots after both lost last night. The Knights are the 4th seed and the Lakers get the 5th seed. The outcome of today's game won't alter anything and they will meet again on Tuesday February 20th in Geneseo to see who will advance in the YAC Tournament.  The Knights are favored by a single point in this one today. I like them to rebound after last night's loss to Cortland. Geneseo wins this one 75-70. 

Oneonta State  at  Potsdam State        3:00 PM

This would be the game of the day if not for the Cort-Port game. Potsdam needs to win and hope Cortland beats Brockport. That would give them the tiebreaking edge over Oneonta by virtue of the Bears win over Cortland who beat Oneonta twice.  If the Bears win and Port beats Cortland then Oneonta wins the tiebreaker by virtue of their win over Brockport  who beat Potsdam twice. If the Bears lose, well there will be joy in Mudville Oneonta as these Red Dragons make the playoffs with a win, after dropping 7 games in a row. The Bears have made some big improvements this year and their hopes of a playoff berth are almost a reality, but I think they are a year away. Coach Bechtel who has been in the rebuilding mode since his arrival 2 years ago and Coach Conover who had to begin this season with the loss of 3 of the top players to come out of Oneonta State, all 1000 point scorers, have both done masterful jobs this hyear. Both teams were competitive and are fighting for the final playoff spot on the last day of the season. Both teams pulled off upsets against some of the league's heavyweights and both will have a ton of talent back next year. The Red Dragons are favored to win by a slender 2 point margin and it should be a close game. Oneonta grabs the final playoff spot with a 78-73 win in this one.

Brockport State  at  Cortland State     3:00 PM   The Featured Game of the Day

Nothing complicated here. The winner gets the #2 seed and a bye through to the semifinals. The loser gets the #3 seed and a home game on Tuesday in the quarterfinal round. Cortland is favored by 4 points in this one and at the beginning of the year I had Plattsburgh and Cortland coming in as the #1 and #2 seeds in the YAC. Nothing has changed my mind since then. Cortland won by a point in Brockport earlier in the year. i think they win today by a 86-81 final score.

New Paltz State  at  Plattsburgh State        3:00 PM

Plattsburgh trying to keep the winning steak intact and push it to 17 straight. New Paltz trying to pull off an upset that would make their season. They hung with the Cardinals for the first half down at New Paltz but today is Senior Day nd the Cardinals are on a mission. Favored by 22 points I think they win by more. Plattsburgh 94 New Paltz 62.