MBB: Centennial Conference

Started by swish, March 01, 2005, 04:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

commish

The 2005-06 Centennial Conference Basketball Prospectus is now available online at http://www.centennial.org/basketball/prospectus .  The Prospectus includes the coaches preseason poll, which tabs Ursinus as the favorite to defend its 2006 title. It has rosters, stats, schedules and all the facts and figures that a Centennial basketball fan could want entering the new season.  We hope you enjoy the prospectus.

cc_fan

I hope Ursinus can start the season with a win tonight against NYU.  I have not heard anything about their new recruits but they do return all 5 starters.

localfan

The Centenial Conference teams off to a good start in the Pride of Maryland tourny. 3 wins and no losses. Today, Washington takes on Villa Julie, while Hopkins faces Mcdaniels.

r.w. mcnickels

Poor rebounding killed F&M in tonight's overtime loss to Trinity.  The Dips had a chance to win with a few seconds remaining in regulation but couldn't get a clean look.

The bottom line was that Trinity got loads of second chance points.  Tyler Rhoten was very impressive.  For F&M, it was a disappointing way to end an incredible offensive performace by Brandon Smith (33 points).

Although Robinson is still trying to figure out what he has, there's potential for this team to be very good.

A win over a NESCAC team would have been good for the CC, but F&M was just unable to close it out.

VJC SID

Pride of MD scores from Saturday

Semifinals

Hopkins  88
McDaniel 80

VJC 100
Washington 93     (2OT)

VJC SID

Pride of Maryland Final from Sunday

Finals

VJC 81  (OT)
JHU 78

Anthony Fitzgerald wins MVP

Third Place Game

McDaniel   91
Washington  85

Coach C

RWMcN -

Are you saying that F&M ran out of gas?  Didn't have the depth?  How were they uable to 'close it out?'

Reserved Seat

F&M got beat on the boards.  They will need to get more aggressive underneath and not allow themselves to be dominated.
The guards played well, but need to get more involved in the offense.  Outerbridge was the only one forcing the offense from the guard position.
Smith played well but allowed the officiating to get under his skin.
Yost, Teschke. and Hines need to be more physical, but the potential is there.

r.w. mcnickels

C-

F&M didn't "run out of gas."  I think they have good depth, especially in the backcourt and on the wing.

The problem vs. Trinity was rebounding.  As Reserved Seat said, they got beat on the boards, especially late in the game.  Tyler Rhoten and the Trinity big guys got the job done and F&M's post players didn't.

The Dips are an inexperienced bunch inside.  Hines and Teschke may not be Juskin and Lynch, but they do some things well.  Yost, the 6-6 soph. transfer from Randolph-Macon, is going to be a very good player.  But F&M will probably have a few growing pains against teams with experienced big men.

Coach C

Thanks for the clarification guys.

C

fritzdis

Ugly win for F&M tonight over Juniata, despite the 82-60 final score.  26 turnovers is absurd.  Even the 40-26 rebounding advantage is misleading because Juniata missed so many more shots than F&M.

I held off on posting after the first 2 games because I didn't know what to make of the team.  Well, I still don't.  I'm not sure I see quite as much potential as some other posters have noted.  The inside guys simply don't have the size or strength to compete defensively against some frontcourts.  They're getting pushed out of position consistently, making the entry passes easy, and I'm not sure how much they can improve that.  I think their rebounding will continue to suffer because of this as well.

On offense, neither Hines nor Yost seems to be able to finish around the hoop.  Yost's inability to go up strong is particularly frustrating because the rest of his game looks pretty good.  Also, the guard depth, which should be a strength, has been disappointing.  Outerbridge and Smith have been very good (although Smith may be forcing the issue too much), but no one else has stepped up.  Chasen has looked lost.  Hopefully he just needs more time to come all the way back from his injury (anybody know the details of that, by the way?).

Maybe I'm just being too impatient.  I can see how this team could be very good against some types of teams, but they will struggle all year against teams with strong frontcourts.

D.B. Cooper

CC halftime scores:
Ursinus 29 LVC 20 (Bears sporting balanced attack)
F&M 44 SWAT 30
Dips ahead in what sounds like an ugly, sloppy contest. One highlight is Leonard pacing the way with 14, hitting some trifectas. In spite of not being pretty, a win will still get Coach Robinson win # 700.

D.B. Cooper

Ursinus handles LVC apparently 70-46. I thought this might be a barometer on the 2 conferences between 2 post season contenders, but it's hard to judge as it looks like Dutchmen couldn't make anything from anywhere. They've got to be better than that, plus Bears may well be quite strong.
Dips give Robinson his 700th win by only 12 points, but the performance was seemingly hideous. Too many turnovers & being outrebounded & outscored inside by SWAT may be a unfortunate harbinger for this season.
I now will guess F&M has little or no chance to win at Bream this Tuesday & should be solidly favored to lose at LVC (who was humbled by Ursinus today) in their difficult confines. I now downgrade my prediction for the Dips to 16-10 & 4th place in CC, it would be the worst finish since 1997. What do those who actually saw the debacle think?

r.w. mcnickels

Another milestone for Robinson.  Well done, coach.  Consistency at such a high level for three decades is unequaled in Division III.

Now for the bad news.  No doubt Robinson has seen some ugly wins among his 700, but this was really awful.  Yes, this is a young team, and they're trying to fit the pieces together.  But ZERO assists from the starting backcourt?  And the inside game was yet again non-existent.  Everyone could have played better today.

Gettysburg coach George Petrie was spotted in the Mayser bleachers, and he must have been licking his chops after scouting that performance by F&M.  It will be a tall task for the Dips to win in Bream on Tuesday.  Ursinus will win this conference going away.

Again, congrats to Robinson, but this one was ugly.

r.w. mcnickels

Above post should read "zero assists from starting point guard."  Leonard, who replaced Paulauskas as the shooting guard, had two assists.