BB: SCIAC: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, December 31, 2005, 09:33:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: Jack Parkman on June 06, 2012, 04:13:36 PM
I must admit I am surprised Rauh was picked as high as he was.  Not knocking the kid at all but he doesn't seem like a pitcher that projects high.
Rauh has a lot of upside. He is very young for a college JR. and not fully physically matured yet. He is extremely intelligent and fast learner.

I would expect him to get stronger and bigger. He has a hard nosed passion for the game. Bulldog, never gives in type of guy. He is also very mentally tough and nothing seems to rattle him and he is all business and very focused. He has outstanding curve ball, slider, and low 90's/upper 80's fastball. I saw him throw many times over the past 3 years. With more run support he could have gone 12-1 or 13-1 in 2012. Best Chapman pitcher outside of Yacko in the past 6 years. He is not a mid 90's/high 90's kind of fastball guy but gets his strikeouts with his curve ball/sliders...Keeps the ball in the strikezone and hits his spots and locations. Lots of movement on his curveball and slider.

Will need a add a few MPH and velocity on his Fastball to make it to the Show.
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

108 Stitches

QuoteMaxwell fits the Moneyball mold perfectly. A guy that drew 59 walks this spring with minimal strikeouts and some power. After reading Moneyball at least 4 times this spring (I refuse to see the movie), Maxwell is exactly the type of player the A's would take a shot at... reminiscent of Jeremy Brown (catcher from Alabama)who they rolled the dice on in 2002 (most thought he was taken WAY too early) and he found himself in the bigs before retiring in 2008.

Agree 100% with one exception in that pitchers did not have to pitch to him at BSC as frankly they only had two guys who could really hit so you had to deal with him or the kid who hit behind him. I could see the A's doing with him what the Nationals did with Harper and moving him to a corner OF spot where he could focus on hitting and working him through the organization quickly. He is a real talent with a lot of upside IMO.

Agree with Crash on Rauh, he will gain 2-3 MPH on his FB as he matures, but not sure he will develop the velo to project him as a starter. His mental approach however may well make up for any physical deficiencies, which a lot of people don't realize is so important in the pros. There are a lot of physically talented pitchers who never make it because what goes on between their ears.

Ralph Turner

I watched Bull Durham last weekend.

The Crash Davis character was a wonderful player who knew cerebral baseball.

Gray Fox

Is Rauh going to play right away or complete his senior season?
Fierce When Roused

dahlby

Rauh has publicly stated that he will forego his senior year if a mutually beneficial contract can be worked out.
As an outstanding academic student, I am sure that he will get his degree eventually.

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: dahlby on June 07, 2012, 03:35:36 PM
Rauh has publicly stated that he will forego his senior year if a mutually beneficial contract can be worked out.
As an outstanding academic student, I am sure that he will get his degree eventually.
I am sure MLB scholarship money will be part of the deal to finish his education in the off season. Chapman is an expensive school to attend and the money will pay tution to finish. Other Chapman players drafted in the past have gone this route and have gone back and finished their degree's
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."

Gray Fox

Fierce When Roused

infielddad

Quote from: 108 Stitches on June 07, 2012, 12:53:22 PM
QuoteMaxwell fits the Moneyball mold perfectly. A guy that drew 59 walks this spring with minimal strikeouts and some power. After reading Moneyball at least 4 times this spring (I refuse to see the movie), Maxwell is exactly the type of player the A's would take a shot at... reminiscent of Jeremy Brown (catcher from Alabama)who they rolled the dice on in 2002 (most thought he was taken WAY too early) and he found himself in the bigs before retiring in 2008.

Agree 100% with one exception in that pitchers did not have to pitch to him at BSC as frankly they only had two guys who could really hit so you had to deal with him or the kid who hit behind him. I could see the A's doing with him what the Nationals did with Harper and moving him to a corner OF spot where he could focus on hitting and working him through the organization quickly. He is a real talent with a lot of upside IMO.

Agree with Crash on Rauh, he will gain 2-3 MPH on his FB as he matures, but not sure he will develop the velo to project him as a starter. His mental approach however may well make up for any physical deficiencies, which a lot of people don't realize is so important in the pros. There are a lot of physically talented pitchers who never make it because what goes on between their ears.

Honestly, I think the teams will be patient with all 3 of these guys.
While different, each has major adjustments to make.
Maxwell is going to be seeing 90mph nearly every inning of every game, with better breaking pitches and change of speed than he has seen in 3 years of college ball.  I would guess he will have equal challenges if the A's keep him behind the plate.  My guess is Maxwell is assigned to the A's short season A team in the Northwest league and he will be challenged every day. He will then spend about 30 days in the Fall Instrux and by November, he will be a tired fella.
I am not sure Rauh needs to add 2-3mph, if he adds a change at 78mph or so, with command in any situation.  Adding the change and 3mph, with his skills and competitve instincts sure won't hurt, though. I have a good friend who has  a son pitching in the Nats' organization at AA. He is improving inning by inning so Rauh might be in a great situation.
Klimesh, to me, is  raw talent with major upside. Of the 3 he might have the most to learn in adjusting to the hitters he is going to see.  On the other hand, of the 3, his upside seems the highest if he continues to improve as he has done every year for the past 4. A few years back, the Reds were pretty inconsistent in developing their pitching talent in Milb. I assume that has changed.  With top coaching, Klimesh could be pitching for a long time.
Hopefully, all 3 are in short season A where they will be challenged but where they can also succeed against the best in this draft.

Richard Hamstocks

According to the new CBA, Rauh is fortunate to have been selected in the 11th round, as opposed to a round earlier.  He can be offered as much as 100k with no penalty to the team.  10th round picks have been mentioned as guys that teams hope they can sign cheaply, while players that teams value more, though with greater signability issues, were relegated to the 11th round. 
We'll see.

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: Richard Hamstocks on June 13, 2012, 02:46:09 AM
According to the new CBA, Rauh is fortunate to have been selected in the 11th round, as opposed to a round earlier.  He can be offered as much as 100k with no penalty to the team.  10th round picks have been mentioned as guys that teams hope they can sign cheaply, while players that teams value more, though with greater signability issues, were relegated to the 11th round. 
We'll see.
Chapman tuition, room and board could take up over 1/2 that 100K then add agent fee, state and federal taxes and it ends up NOT being alot left over.

http://www.chapman.edu/students/tuition-and-aid/student-business-services/2012-13-tuition.aspx

Richard Hamstocks

Quote from: CrashDavisD3 on June 13, 2012, 09:48:54 AM
We'll see.
Chapman tuition, room and board could take up over 1/2 that 100K then add agent fee, state and federal taxes and it ends up NOT being alot left over.

http://www.chapman.edu/students/tuition-and-aid/student-business-services/2012-13-tuition.aspx
He made his professional debut on Saturday.  2IP, 3K, 1BB, no hits. Looks like the money was good enough.

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: Richard Hamstocks on June 25, 2012, 02:25:22 PM
Quote from: CrashDavisD3 on June 13, 2012, 09:48:54 AM
We'll see.

He made his professional debut on Saturday.  2IP, 3K, 1BB, no hits. Looks like the money was good enough.
Quote from: CrashDavisD3 on June 24, 2012, 08:23:23 PM
Brian Rauh RHP Chapman
Link to MILB Stats

CrashDavisD3

2013 SCIAC schedule is starting to take shape. Does anyone know HOW the SCIAC playoffs for Pool A bid will work?

http://www.d3baseball.com/conf/SCIAC/2013/schedule

I also heard there are changes coming on regarding the Pool C bid process and what games count or not. Rumor has it all D3 games will count and not just in region. Can anyone confirm or expand on what I have heard.

OshDude

Quote from: CrashDavisD3 on September 23, 2012, 10:08:56 PM
2013 SCIAC schedule is starting to take shape. Does anyone know HOW the SCIAC playoffs for Pool A bid will work?

I also heard there are changes coming on regarding the Pool C bid process and what games count or not. Rumor has it all D3 games will count and not just in region. Can anyone confirm or expand on what I have heard.
What you heard was correct. All games against D-III competition will count in the primary criteria beginning in the 2013-14 academic year. The catch is that teams must play 70 percent of their competition in-region.

CU's 2012 schedule met that requirement easily.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Ricky Nelson on September 24, 2012, 08:13:35 PM
Quote from: CrashDavisD3 on September 23, 2012, 10:08:56 PM

What you heard was correct. All games against D-III competition will count in the primary criteria beginning in the 2013-14 academic year. The catch is that teams must play 70 percent of their competition in-region.

CU's 2012 schedule met that requirement easily.
My fear is that we will see the demise of the inter-region Spring Training trips where an east coast team comes to California to play SCIAC foes in mid-season form 20 games into the schedule.