Future of Division III

Started by Ralph Turner, October 10, 2005, 07:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gray Fox

You betchum, Red Ryder. ;)
Fierce When Roused

janesvilleflash

Just when you think you've heard everything. Fried bologna sandwiches on white bread are NEVER served with mustard. It's ketchup!!!! Mustard is resereved for rye bread.
If you can't ignore an insult, top it; if you can't top it, laugh it off; and if you can't laugh it off, it's probably deserved.

JacketsFan

Fried bologna with lettuce. tomato, onion and pickle on a hamburger bun with ketchup AND mustard, chips on the side, also known as a baloney burger.Mmmm-mm!''Okay, I've got a culinary mindbender for you guys. What's a Hawaiian Hamburger?

Ralph Turner

JacketsFan

Pretty dang close, Ralphie. Growing up in a Catholic family back when you didn't eat meat on Fridays, a lot of Southern Catholic moms made what we called Hawaiian Hamburgers. A couple slices of pineapple on a hamburger bun slathered with mayo. Add a slice of American Cheese and you had a cheeseburger. Necessity truly is the mother of invention. How ya been, Ralph? Happy New Year to you.

David Collinge

It seems that the Future of Division III varies from tasteless to disgusting.   :P

Coach C

Pineapple? Mayo? Cheese?

I have an iron stomach, but just the thought of it had me retching.

C

Ralph Turner

At the Convention last week, the Legislation to broaden the definition of in-region competition in Proposal #10 was withdrawn.

As I understand that, it would have permitted "vacation/holiday break" competition to count for in-region and was originally sponsored by the CCIW, among others.

Proposal #16 to include strength of schedule as part of the criteria for Pool B and C was also withdrawn.

Does anyone have any information about the nature of the withdrawals?

Other measures that passed included #22 which permits scouting an opponent at an exhibition; #23 and #27 which look like "common-sense" legislation about on-campus meals for recruits and student-athletes; and #28 concerning football teams that schedule a game on the Thursday before Labor Day.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: JacketsFan on January 16, 2006, 10:33:39 PM
Pretty dang close, Ralphie. Growing up in a Catholic family back when you didn't eat meat on Fridays, a lot of Southern Catholic moms made what we called Hawaiian Hamburgers. A couple slices of pineapple on a hamburger bun slathered with mayo. Add a slice of American Cheese and you had a cheeseburger. Necessity truly is the mother of invention. How ya been, Ralph? Happy New Year to you.

Glad I am Methodist!  Yeah, my mom would cook her ground meat with a slice of pineapple in the the patty as a diversion back then. :D

Knightstalker

I was raised Catholic, we just resorted to Pizza, Mac and Cheese or fish for fridays.  The only meat pineapple went near in our house is Ham.

Then there is the old standbye called the sandwish, you wish you could afford something to put between two slices of bread.

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I loved the Fridays in Junior High because we got popcorn shrimp.  And while the thought of seafood from a public school cafeteria scares the crap out of me now, it was heaven back then.  I didn't even understand until much later why they didn't grill up the burgers on Friday.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

johnnie_esq

All this food talk is making me hungry, especially as the end of my work day nears...

I just caught this at Siouxsports.com.  Yes, it's D2, but it has MAJOR implications for the landscape in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa regions.  Apparently, UND is studying again whether to go D1-AA, and there is some hint that they'll make the jump.  That, in turn, will force St. Cloud State, UMD and Mankato State (Minnesota's Big D-2 schools) to decide whether to go D1-AA, or join the NSIC or the Missouri D-2 conference. 

The DAC-10 (now 8) is looking at moving from NAIA to NCAA ranks. I think either Jamestown or Mary is already moving D2 and discussions are furthering about the whole conference being D2.  But they are NSIC sized, not NCC sized.

This could cause massive issues with recruiting in Minnesota-- namely, SJU and Concordia have had an influx of transfers from former D2 schools going D1 (thank you, NDSU). 

But on a larger scale, the departure of one of D2's pre-eminent football conferences into the D-1 ranks may bring true heat on D2 to be reexamined.
SJU Champions 2003 NCAA D3, 1976 NCAA D3, 1965 NAIA, 1963 NAIA; SJU 2nd Place 2000 NCAA D3; SJU MIAC Champions 2018, 2014, 2009, 2008, 2006, 2005, 2003, 2002, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1996, 1995, 1994, 1993, 1991, 1989, 1985, 1982, 1979, 1977, 1976, 1975, 1974, 1971, 1965, 1963, 1962, 1953, 1938, 1936, 1935, 1932

Ralph Turner

I have heard University of Mary.  I had not heard Jamestown.

That, the DAC-10)  has to hurt the NAIA badly.

Warren Thompson

Quote from: Ralph Turner on January 17, 2006, 06:04:41 PM
I had not heard  of Jamestown.

Ralph:

For information on Jamestown, go to http://www.jc.edu. This venue is located in North Dakota.

Ralph Turner

Warren, you misread my post.  I said that "I had not heard Jamestown (moving to D2)".

I "knew of" Jamestown.   ;)