FB: New Jersey Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RowanPhan

Quote from: Teamski on June 13, 2020, 07:53:43 AM
The implications of acquisition are troubling to say the least.  If DSU simply makes Wesley a campus of the main university, well then DIII is gone.  If Wesley remains independent with DIII intact, then what would keep DSU from relegating the Wolverines to a bargain basement DIII team by loading it with DSU walk-ons and transferring the better players under scholarship to DSU?  I AM happy that Wesley could avoid being a collection of empty buildings, but it won't be the same.  Both schools are my Alma Mater but Wesley is special, and not just for football..... all this if an acquisition doesn't fall through.

-Ski
Would this be similar to the Rutgers schools in NJ?  Rutgers-Camden and Rutgers-Newark are NJAC/D3 schools, and the athletes reflect this level. They really have no connection to the D1 Rutgers teams at New Brunswick. I'm pretty sure they aren't transferring players between the schools at Rutgers.

If Wesley gets rebranded as "DSU-Wesley" (or something along those lines) I don't think it would be a horrible outcome. Ultimately I would like to see Wesley live on.
Go Rowan!

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: RowanPhan on June 15, 2020, 11:26:10 AM
Quote from: Teamski on June 13, 2020, 07:53:43 AM
The implications of acquisition are troubling to say the least.  If DSU simply makes Wesley a campus of the main university, well then DIII is gone.  If Wesley remains independent with DIII intact, then what would keep DSU from relegating the Wolverines to a bargain basement DIII team by loading it with DSU walk-ons and transferring the better players under scholarship to DSU?  I AM happy that Wesley could avoid being a collection of empty buildings, but it won't be the same.  Both schools are my Alma Mater but Wesley is special, and not just for football..... all this if an acquisition doesn't fall through.

-Ski
Would this be similar to the Rutgers schools in NJ?  Rutgers-Camden and Rutgers-Newark are NJAC/D3 schools, and the athletes reflect this level. They really have no connection to the D1 Rutgers teams at New Brunswick. I'm pretty sure they aren't transferring players between the schools at Rutgers.

If Wesley gets rebranded as "DSU-Wesley" (or something along those lines) I don't think it would be a horrible outcome. Ultimately I would like to see Wesley live on.

DSU is a pretty poor FCS program............on the field and their facilities. It is also an average academic institution at best. Mostly though, there have been many years where Wesley would have beaten DSU on the field. The gap between FBS Rutgers and D-III Rutgers is huge. There is little to no gap between FCS DSU and D-III Wesley. Wesley also offers a private educational experience and DSU is not in great financial shape and has to go back to the well for help from the state. This will be interesting to see how this plays out. However it does........that crazy St. Leo's option would have never worked. Not in a million years. Online students are not playing sports. I'm glad that went away!

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: thewaterboy on June 15, 2020, 10:32:59 AM
Quote from: jmcozenlaw on June 15, 2020, 09:21:28 AM
Quote from: thewaterboy on June 14, 2020, 09:05:55 PM
Quote from: jmcozenlaw on June 14, 2020, 07:58:19 PM
"Hello Wesley Football Players..................it's Duke Greco on Line 1, Nick Brady on Line 2 and Mike Isgro on Line 3".

"Boys, how would you like to come up to bucolic Doylestown, PA and play for the #7 ranked team (wayyyyyyyyy overranked given the losses at LB, NT, and all across the offense) in the 2020 Preseason Poll"?
Too soon bro. If this goes through and Wesley football doesn't exist, that is going to hurt. Take this post somewhere else.

Life is too short. Smile, have fun, laugh, help others less fortunate, pray. None of this is the end of the world. Wesley will remain open in some iteration. Many smaller schools won't have that option and will be closing their doors permanently. I'm too mature to use that the word 'bro' (and the even more goofy 'bruh' that I see everywhere..........who came up with THAT one??), so I will just call you Adam (as in Sandler, the waterboy). Also, if you look at it from several different perspectives, having some schools that are natural landing spots (success on the field, academic programs, beautiful campuses, diversity) for Wesley is critical as this is all about the student-athletes..........not about us. DelVal has done a great job over the years recruiting high end players from Delaware (Sean Miller, Nick DiGati, Sammy Mohr to name a few) as well as getting a slew of Wesley transfers. Heck, the only reason McSweeney did not go to DelVal was because the QB situation was set and he did not want to sit for a couple of years.

Relax. There are many more important things in life happening right now. Seek to be the change and make things better. God Bless.
That's your perspective and that's fine. 2 points: 1. Nothing is set yet. It seems there's still a few hurdles to clear still and on the football end for Wesley, things seem to be proceeding as normal. So yeah, a little too soon. 2. When a program shuts down, you lose a whole community of people. Alumni, players, coaches, students and fans. The whole group of people that make Saturdays fun. Ask anyone on this board how they would feel if their team ceased to exist next season. It would suck. It's easy for you to say what you are saying because Del Val is going to be just fine and may, as you suggest, land a few transfers. That is fortunate that there are so many great landing spots on the east coast if Wesley football disappears. The players will be fine for that reason.

I didn't want you to think that I was picking on you or being smug. There are going to a whole bunch of small schools closing their doors and yes, it will suck for all of them. But I also ask an important question as it relates to that very situation.

If Wesley (the school) and Wesley (the football program) are truly that important to every alum, coach and person in the Dover community...........where has the huge "save our school" fundraising campaign been up to this point? You can't tell me that there aren't a bunch of well heeled alums with some means, that could write nice checks to the school. I call it "putting your money where your mouth, heart and soul" are. I know a few folks at Wesley and they say contributions are poor year in and year out. I don't know how to define poor.

DelVal got a $30 million gift from Betsy Gemmill and they are working on a larger one as we speak, as is Widener and Lycoming. You've got to aggressively go after the money. If the school and the program mean that much to alums, they'd put their money behind it accordingly. I know one former Wesley QB who is doing quite well for a younger guy. He's been to 1 game in about 8 years and contributes nothing to the school. There appear to be too many people like that. They get the degree and take off.

Again, and most importantly, having a couple of schools that will take a chance on some of the kids that go to Wesley, DelVal, Widener, etc,. is critical....................and is the most important thing for these student athletes. I believe that it would be more than "a couple of transfers" for schools like DelVal, Salisbury, Widener, Stevenson (to name a few). One or two of these schools in particular would definetly be in the double digits.

I don't want to see Wesley, the school (most importantly) fold. I don't want to see Wesley's football team go under either. I hope that it works out and that those who truly love the school.........and show that love in many more ways than just showing up in the stands five or six Saturday's a year.........are happy in the end. God Bless.

Teamski

Unfortunately Wesley doesn't have a large endowment primarily because it wasn't a 4 year college for most of its history.  Those big buck alumis don't exist as they would like Muhlenberg or Del Val.

-Ski
Wesley College Football.... A Winning Tradition! A Coach Mike Drass Legacy.

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: Teamski on June 17, 2020, 02:11:57 PM
Unfortunately Wesley doesn't have a large endowment primarily because it wasn't a 4 year college for most of its history.  Those big buck alumis don't exist as they would like Muhlenberg or Del Val.

-Ski

I gotcha! It's not about the 'endowment' per se though as large gifts are many times earmarked for specific purposes rather than deposited into the endowment fund. Wesley started offering four year degrees for the class starting in 1974 (and graduating in 1978).....................so they do have a pool of grads in their 60's and I'd bet some of them have some assets. It's a matter of whether one wants to part with any of it and for what purpose. You really have to see the vision and the dream to get some folks to open their wallets.

gordonmann

QuoteQuote from: thewaterboy on June 14, 2020, 09:05:55 pm
Quote from: jmcozenlaw on June 14, 2020, 07:58:19 pm
"Hello Wesley Football Players..................it's Duke Greco on Line 1, Nick Brady on Line 2 and Mike Isgro on Line 3".

"Boys, how would you like to come up to bucolic Doylestown, PA and play for the #7 ranked team (wayyyyyyyyy overranked given the losses at LB, NT, and all across the offense) in the 2020 Preseason Poll"?
Too soon bro. If this goes through and Wesley football doesn't exist, that is going to hurt. Take this post somewhere else.

Life is too short. Smile, have fun, laugh, help others less fortunate, pray. None of this is the end of the world. Wesley will remain open in some iteration. Many smaller schools won't have that option and will be closing their doors permanently. I'm too mature to use that the word 'bro' (and the even more goofy 'bruh' that I see everywhere..........who came up with THAT one??), so I will just call you Adam (as in Sandler, the waterboy). Also, if you look at it from several different perspectives, having some schools that are natural landing spots (success on the field, academic programs, beautiful campuses, diversity) for Wesley is critical as this is all about the student-athletes..........not about us. DelVal has done a great job over the years recruiting high end players from Delaware (Sean Miller, Nick DiGati, Sammy Mohr to name a few) as well as getting a slew of Wesley transfers. Heck, the only reason McSweeney did not go to DelVal was because the QB situation was set and he did not want to sit for a couple of years.

Relax. There are many more important things in life happening right now. Seek to be the change and make things better. God Bless.
That's your perspective and that's fine. 2 points: 1. Nothing is set yet. It seems there's still a few hurdles to clear still and on the football end for Wesley, things seem to be proceeding as normal. So yeah, a little too soon. 2. When a program shuts down, you lose a whole community of people. Alumni, players, coaches, students and fans. The whole group of people that make Saturdays fun. Ask anyone on this board how they would feel if their team ceased to exist next season. It would suck. It's easy for you to say what you are saying because Del Val is going to be just fine and may, as you suggest, land a few transfers. That is fortunate that there are so many great landing spots on the east coast if Wesley football disappears. The players will be fine for that reason.

I've been thinking about this exchange and just wanted to express empathy for the Wesley football folks.

I've been involved with Delaware Valley football for years now and, without intending to sound melodramatic, it is one of my favorite parts of life. That tiny press box in James Work Memorial Stadium is my happy place. The community around that program -- the players, coaches and university staff -- is really important to me, and I haven't played a down of football in years.

If Del Val football went away, I would be crushed. Yes, the players would find other places to play, the coaches would find other places to coach and life would go on. I'd find somewhere else to be on a Saturday afternoon. But nothing would ever really replace that void.

Del Val is special, but probably not unique. I see some of the same dynamics in Wesley -- a program that wins beyond its means and where the "family" dynamic is built into the fabric of the program. I also think of Wesley as Del Val's closest rival at this point. A lot of the most memorable Aggies games -- good and bad -- over the last 10 years or so involve the Wolverines.

I hope Wesley can stay find a way to keep that community alive.

There are more important things in life than football, but few things more important than community.

RowanPhan

Saw on social media that Rowan will be starting practices end of August. Doesn't give them much time to prep for their first game.
Go Rowan!

Pat Coleman

It is highly likely that Rowan's football schedule for 2020 will change, perhaps multiple times. Highly doubt they play the weekend of Sept. 5.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: RowanPhan on June 26, 2020, 01:04:56 PM
Saw on social media that Rowan will be starting practices end of August. Doesn't give them much time to prep for their first game.

Is this the before-they-go-DI-schedule we are talking about?

Just kidding (sort of...............K.C. Keeler on line #1 just in case ;) )

MUC57

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on June 26, 2020, 04:20:35 PM

jmcozenlaw

Ah, K.C. Keeler. There's a name from some Mount Union-Rowan games. I remember the ever-present sun glasses. Even when it wasn't sunny. Kind of his trademark, I guess.
His name pops up every now and then. We all give a little snicker.

On a different subject. How's Wesley doing? Good school with a football program that was good year after year. Always gave Mount fits when they played. Hope they get everything worked out and are able to maintain their own identity.

Thanks for bring up old. K.C. I'll get you for that!
Stay safe and stay well. 😷 🏈 🎓 🍺
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

Teamski

Wesley College Football.... A Winning Tradition! A Coach Mike Drass Legacy.

Oline89

thewaterboy

Quote from: MUC57 on June 26, 2020, 05:14:30 PM

jmcozenlaw

Ah, K.C. Keeler. There's a name from some Mount Union-Rowan games. I remember the ever-present sun glasses. Even when it wasn't sunny. Kind of his trademark, I guess.

On a different subject. How's Wesley doing? Good school with a football program that was good year after year. Always gave Mount fits when they played. Hope they get everything worked out and are able to maintain their own identity.

No news is good news I am assuming as far as Wesley goes. There really hasn't been much news to report. Really hoping their football program can stay intact. There is a lot of promising young talent on that roster. It'd be a real shame if that group weren't given a chance to grow together.

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: MUC57 on June 26, 2020, 05:14:30 PM

jmcozenlaw

Hey my friend!! I know a bunch of kids (and their parents) who played on K.C.'s Rowan teams. He was quite the fast talker and was able to land a couple of D-I transfers seemingly every year. With Rowan growing the way they are, I do wonder if they do make the move to D-I someday. Rowan is getting larger and larger...............not Montclair State large, but large. Much bigger than most of the MAC schools with their 1500-2000 undergrad student population.

You stay well and safe as well my friend. God Bless.