FB: New Jersey Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gray Fox

I'm late to the party here, but I just stumbled upon it.

I live in Texas.  The private schools and public schools are separate.  Only two large private schools are mixed in with publics in the entire state.  The publics are put in leagues strictly by enrollment.  It is a big deal here. They realign every two years, and it is major news.  The private schools have their own organizations who handle things.

But I originally came from California and became confused recently with what they were doing trying to follow my old high school.  Public and private schools are all included together.  So they have been using "competitive equity" the last few years.  But they recently made changes.  Rather than give the link that may require a subscription, I will copy and paste.

"There will be a significant change for football players, coaches, and fans when the 2020 season gets started.

The CIF Southern Section Council voted in its final academic-year meeting by a count of 80-6-4 to adopt a new division playoff system for high school football.

The meeting, which was initially scheduled for March at The Grand in Long Beach, took place via video conferencing to comply with social distancing measures due to the novel COVID-19 pandemic.

In the new system, each team is slotted into a playoff division at the end of the regular season based on a power rating assigned by the website CalPreps.com.

The new system will guarantee that every team that earns an automatic playoff spot gets into the playoffs. That has not been the case with the competitive equity football divisional system utilized in recent seasons. Also, teams that receive a high volume of transfers – and have success on the field – will be placed in the appropriate division.

Many area football coaches were pleased with the results.

"I was all for this from day one, and I've been a little frustrated that it has taken this long," St. Francis coach Jim Bonds said. "We had a great team in 2017 and paid the price for it for the last two years. I think they got it right. I think this also addresses the transfer issue. I have no sympathy for teams that load up their rosters with transfers and get placed in higher divisions."

Valencia coach Larry Muir also likes the new playoff system.

"In 2017, when we played the CIF championship against Oaks Christian, we had a lot of senior guys, and that next year we had to replace a tremendous amount of guys," said Muir. "The ebb and flow of high school football will respond to that. If I don't have the next year, if I'm not the same type of team, maybe it drops down a division or two or vice versa if I have a class that's really good. I like the fact that it responds well to the changes. In today's football, programs can change pretty quick.""

Fierce When Roused

The Mole

PA has six classifications based upon male enrollment for grades 10-12. There used to be 4, but the "everyone needs a trophy" mentality created enough pressure to add two more, and it has watered down the competition. The 5A (second largest) champion last year probably would not have won the 2A 3A or 4A titles. There is a high concentration of private schools in the greater Philadelphia region (I can rattle off at least 20). Recruiting is a reality but what I will call poaching has escalated--kids "transferring" back and forth, it makes no logical sense. The PIAA (governing body) has turned a blind eye to it, but has made it a little more difficult for an in season transfer and for those players not participating in playoffs. Its also rampant in basketball. Since many of the privates have won a bunch of championships in the last few years, the drumbeat for splitting public and private has gotten louder. Evidently, something in state legislature from years back that prohibits different championships or something like that--its become a political football, pun intended. There is a private school organization which does hold its own state championships (PAISAA) but there is none for football. Some of these "independent" schools can re-class students or take post-grads, so they are nor eligible for PIAA sanctioned playoffs. In regular season competition, some of these schools will play PIAA schools and those students are unable to play or sit out. Many teams will not even entertain playing one of these schools for the fear of existing players being poached. Agreements signed that you won't recruit players, etc. It gets messy.
In the more geographically removed areas, there is more cross-district transferring and poaching. Its almost accepted. Started in the early 80s. Dad gets a new job and "moves to the area" in a new apartment within the district. Parents getting a divorce and mom moving into the district and player lives with mom. The shenanigans are endless and happen all the time.
Sorry for the long rant, but at least we are talking football
Happy Birthday America!

Quote from: Gray Fox on July 03, 2020, 11:02:09 AM

I live in Texas.  The private schools and public schools are separate.  Only two large private schools are mixed in with publics in the entire state.  The publics are put in leagues strictly by enrollment.  It is a big deal here. They realign every two years, and it is major news.  The private schools have their own organizations who handle things.

But I originally came from California and became confused recently with what they were doing trying to follow my old high school.  Public and private schools are all included together.  So they have been using "competitive equity" the last few years.  But they recently made changes.  Rather than give the link that may require a subscription, I will copy and paste.

"There will be a significant change for football players, coaches, and fans when the 2020 season gets started.

The CIF Southern Section Council voted in its final academic-year meeting by a count of 80-6-4 to adopt a new division playoff system for high school football.

The meeting, which was initially scheduled for March at The Grand in Long Beach, took place via video conferencing to comply with social distancing measures due to the novel COVID-19 pandemic.

In the new system, each team is slotted into a playoff division at the end of the regular season based on a power rating assigned by the website CalPreps.com.

The new system will guarantee that every team that earns an automatic playoff spot gets into the playoffs. That has not been the case with the competitive equity football divisional system utilized in recent seasons. Also, teams that receive a high volume of transfers – and have success on the field – will be placed in the appropriate division.

"I was all for this from day one, and I've been a little frustrated that it has taken this long," St. Francis coach Jim Bonds said. "We had a great team in 2017 and paid the price for it for the last two years. I think they got it right. I think this also addresses the transfer issue. I have no sympathy for teams that load up their rosters with transfers and get placed in higher divisions."

"In 2017, when we played the CIF championship against Oaks Christian, we had a lot of senior guys, and that next year we had to replace a tremendous amount of guys," said Muir. "The ebb and flow of high school football will respond to that. If I don't have the next year, if I'm not the same type of team, maybe it drops down a division or two or vice versa if I have a class that's really good. I like the fact that it responds well to the changes. In today's football, programs can change pretty quick.""
TAKE THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: The Mole on July 04, 2020, 10:22:53 AM
PA has six classifications based upon male enrollment for grades 10-12. There used to be 4, but the "everyone needs a trophy" mentality created enough pressure to add two more, and it has watered down the competition. The 5A (second largest) champion last year probably would not have won the 2A 3A or 4A titles. There is a high concentration of private schools in the greater Philadelphia region (I can rattle off at least 20). Recruiting is a reality but what I will call poaching has escalated--kids "transferring" back and forth, it makes no logical sense. The PIAA (governing body) has turned a blind eye to it, but has made it a little more difficult for an in season transfer and for those players not participating in playoffs. Its also rampant in basketball. Since many of the privates have won a bunch of championships in the last few years, the drumbeat for splitting public and private has gotten louder. Evidently, something in state legislature from years back that prohibits different championships or something like that--its become a political football, pun intended. There is a private school organization which does hold its own state championships (PAISAA) but there is none for football. Some of these "independent" schools can re-class students or take post-grads, so they are nor eligible for PIAA sanctioned playoffs. In regular season competition, some of these schools will play PIAA schools and those students are unable to play or sit out. Many teams will not even entertain playing one of these schools for the fear of existing players being poached. Agreements signed that you won't recruit players, etc. It gets messy.
In the more geographically removed areas, there is more cross-district transferring and poaching. Its almost accepted. Started in the early 80s. Dad gets a new job and "moves to the area" in a new apartment within the district. Parents getting a divorce and mom moving into the district and player lives with mom. The shenanigans are endless and happen all the time.
Happy Birthday America!

A good buddy of mine has a boy who was an excellent QB and lacrosse player at CB West (not when it WAS national power West)........................and he, eh hemm, "moved" to a one bedroom mess in the bad part of Lansdale, and alas, his son starred at North Penn and wound up with a scholarship to VMI. What high school did that head coach at North Penn go to and excel for years ago? Hmmmm, lookee here.............CB West!! :)

Oh, it just happened to be a one year lease. ;)

The Mole

RU kidding me? ;)

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on July 04, 2020, 12:39:23 PM
Quote from: The Mole on July 04, 2020, 10:22:53 AM
Happy Birthday America!

A good buddy of mine has a boy who was an excellent QB and lacrosse player at CB West (not when it WAS national power West)........................and he, eh hemm, "moved" to a one bedroom mess in the bad part of Lansdale, and alas, his son starred at North Penn and wound up with a scholarship to VMI. What high school did that head coach at North Penn go to and excel for years ago Hmmmm, CB West!!

Oh, it just happened to be a one year lease. ;)
TAKE THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED

CNU85

Va does the same thing as it seems many states. 6 classifications......Used to be 3. A, AA, and AAA. Now it's Division 1 (A) and Div 2 (A). div 3 and 4 are (AA) and 5 and 6 are AAA. It is based on enrollment and they rearrange every few years. Mostly the schools remain static. Sometimes there is a change. Private schools do their own thing.

Other sports became totally confusing. Like baseball. They have the traditional districts but also some weird competition districts or something that makes no sense to me. I chalk it up to being an old guy and it's not important enough to research! haha!

ITH radio

No surprise, but NCC vs CNU game scheduled for 9/5/20 is officially cancelled.
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

CNU85

Quote from: ITH radio on July 06, 2020, 11:49:31 AM
No surprise, but NCC vs CNU game scheduled for 9/5/20 is officially cancelled.

No surprise at all. I'm sure there will be more schedule changes before the first kickoff. Sadly.

https://www.cnusports.com/news/2020/7/6/christopher-newport-announces-changes-to-2020-football-schedule.aspx

Teamski

https://delawarebusinesstimes.com/news/dsu-acquisition-of-wesley-likely/

A deal is close at hand.  Now to find out what impact this will have on Wesley's athletic programs.....   :-\

-Ski
Wesley College Football.... A Winning Tradition! A Coach Mike Drass Legacy.

CNU85

Quote from: Teamski on July 06, 2020, 09:57:30 PM
https://delawarebusinesstimes.com/news/dsu-acquisition-of-wesley-likely/

A deal is close at hand.  Now to find out what impact this will have on Wesley's athletic programs.....   :-\

-Ski

This will be interesting to see how they handle a lot of issues. Tuition being one. $27k v under $8k for 1,000 students. That's huge! I would think DSU would be cutting a lot of programs at WC or consolidating programs like Nursing. So they could consolidate that program and save. So many variables. This will be interesting to say the least.

Keep us posted Ski....

ITH radio

Sounds like the deal is done but no specifics yet...
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

jmcozenlaw

Wesley's top 10 players would get time at DSU, given the current state of the DSU football program. They might opt to go to school for free at DSU vs. pay to go to DSU-Wesley, if that is an option.

Penn State has a ton of satellite campuses, but none of them, obviously, are proximate to each other and certainly nowhere near the mothership in Happy Valley...................the opposite of the soon-to-be situation in Dover.

This is going to be interesting to see how it shakes out.

Oline89

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on July 09, 2020, 08:47:08 AM
Wesley's top 10 players would get time at DSU, given the current state of the DSU football program. They might opt to go to school for free at DSU vs. pay to go to DSU-Wesley, if that is an option.

Penn State has a ton of satellite campuses, but none of them, obviously, are proximate to each other and certainly nowhere near the mothership in Happy Valley...................the opposite of the soon-to-be situation in Dover.

This is going to be interesting to see how it shakes out.

Moving up to D2 from D3 requires a year waiting period, doesn't it?

Pat Coleman

As a school? It takes 3-4 years to complete a transition like that. I don't see Del State having two separate scholarship campuses in the same city, though.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Oline89

Quote from: Pat Coleman on July 09, 2020, 10:33:08 AM
As a school? It takes 3-4 years to complete a transition like that. I don't see Del State having two separate scholarship campuses in the same city, though.

I meant an individual player moving from D2 (DSU) program from a D3 (Wesley)

Pat Coleman

Del State is FCS and there is no transition year for a player transitioning from FCS to D2 or D3.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.