FB: Empire 8

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SJFF82

MHB picks up a first place vote

Don't recall seeing 3 teams with first place votes at same time??

Too lazy to check....

ITH radio

Quote from: wesleydad on October 26, 2014, 08:55:29 AM
Quote from: Bombers798891 on October 26, 2014, 12:23:22 AM
I'm just going to say it: At the very very top, Division III football is largely unwatchable this season.

You can talk all day about how the elite teams have earned this and it's the responsibility of everyone else to catch up, and I won't argue. The bottom line is, the elite teams win by laughable margins constantly, and the sport suffers for it.

Look at five of your top 7 teams right now:

Mount: No game closer than 41 points, never scored less than 58 in an game
UMHB: Has won 73-7, 56-9, 72-16 in the last four weeks
Wesley: Last three weeks have seen 54-0, 70-2, 75-12 wins, and they might as well be playing a high school next week.
Linfield: Won 59-0, 65-13, 59-7 the last three weeks
John Carroll: Won 69-0, 80-0, 71-7 in the last three weeks

Yes, every team/year has blowouts. But give me a break. Mount Union kicked field goals on first down FIVE TIMES today. And hey, I seriously applaud them for trying to keep the game under 150-0. But in terms of actual football? That's a joke.

Bombers, I agree.  The next time I have any interest in going and watching Wesley play will be in the playoffs and the first round game may be as ugly as the last 3 have been.  I can't imagine it is even fun for the players since crushing teams gets to be boring.

On another note the E8 went wacky again yesterday and I agree, that is much more fun each week then the beatdowns that are occuring elsewhere.  Fisher wins out and they are champs.  Still baffled by how they can not beat Salisbury.

On our show tonight one of the LL coaches flat out said UWW and UMU could beat some Fcs teams.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/ith/2014/10/26/in-the-huddlle--liberty-league-football-talk-show

Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

thewaterboy

Quote from: ITH radio on October 26, 2014, 10:51:28 PM
I'm just going to say it: At the very very top, Division III football is largely unwatchable this season.

You can talk all day about how the elite teams have earned this and it's the responsibility of everyone else to catch up, and I won't argue. The bottom line is, the elite teams win by laughable margins constantly, and the sport suffers for it.

Wesley: Last three weeks have seen 54-0, 70-2, 75-12 wins, and they might as well be playing a high school next week.

Yes, every team/year has blowouts. But give me a break. Mount Union kicked field goals on first down FIVE TIMES today. And hey, I seriously applaud them for trying to keep the game under 150-0. But in terms of actual football? That's a joke.

Bombers, I agree.  The next time I have any interest in going and watching Wesley play will be in the playoffs and the first round game may be as ugly as the last 3 have been.  I can't imagine it is even fun for the players since crushing teams gets to be boring.

On another note the E8 went wacky again yesterday and I agree, that is much more fun each week then the beatdowns that are occuring elsewhere.  Fisher wins out and they are champs.  Still baffled by how they can not beat Salisbury.

On our show tonight one of the LL coaches flat out said UWW and UMU could beat some Fcs teams.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/ith/2014/10/26/in-the-huddlle--liberty-league-football-talk-show
Not really UMU or UWW, but Wesley is set to play FCS UNC-Charlotte on Nov. 15, who will be playing FBS next year in Conference USA. So that coach may definitely have a valid point if Wesley can sneak out with a win. Always like seeing D3 beat higher divisions. Debunks a lot of myths about D3 being "a glorified high school league."

MasterJedi

Quote from: thewaterboy on October 26, 2014, 10:55:01 PM
Quote from: ITH radio on October 26, 2014, 10:51:28 PM

Not really UMU or UWW, but Wesley is set to play FCS UNC-Charlotte on Nov. 15, who will be playing FBS next year in Conference USA. So that coach may definitely have a valid point if Wesley can sneak out with a win. Always like seeing D3 beat higher divisions. Debunks a lot of myths about D3 being "a glorified high school league."

Wesley DID beat them last year too, 35-28.

Pat Coleman

Last year was Charlotte's first year of football. This would be a significantly different feat, in my opinion.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

fisheralum91

Fisher gets back at it with Buff State coming to town.
Lets hope that they cleaned up some of what we saw against Alfred St.

Hoping for a convincing win!

AUPepBand

Quote from: fisheralum91 on October 27, 2014, 12:48:41 PM

Fisher had TWO PATs blocked? Wow. You didn't see Fisher blocking any Alfred State PATs, that's for sure.  ;)
On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

boobyhasgameyo

Quote from: AUPepBand on October 27, 2014, 12:59:24 PM

Fisher had TWO PATs blocked? Wow. You didn't see Fisher blocking any Alfred State PATs, that's for sure.  ;)

They were blocking the points towards the end of the game.  I think like the 3rd to last touchdown and the last touchdown?  Either way, one would hope that it was more of a case of losing focus during a blowout than a sign of issues to come. 

jmcozenlaw

While it's nobody's fault, it is getting quite boring with the three/four dominant teams. My feeling about the MAC or the NJAC (pre-Wesley) is to win the conference championship in a given year..........everything else is gravy.

The WIAC schools (athletically and from an enrollment standpoint, not quite academically) are more like the Patriot League schools (Lehigh, Lafayette, Bucknell, etc.) or for those that disagree (with the facts:), PA's DII Pennsylvania Athletic Conference (Bloomsburg, West Chester, Kutztown). In fact, a coach in the PSAC with knowledge of UW-W said that there is not a team in the conference that would beat them. 

Again, not blaming the schools.................but it is boring!! I start to follow THE BIG Four in the NCAA DIII semifinals.........when they inevitably will play each other:)

rams1102

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on October 27, 2014, 01:15:50 PM
While it's nobody's fault, it is getting quite boring with the three/four dominant teams. My feeling about the MAC or the NJAC (pre-Wesley) is to win the conference championship in a given year..........everything else is gravy.

The WIAC schools (athletically and from an enrollment standpoint, not quite academically) are more like the Patriot League schools (Lehigh, Lafayette, Bucknell, etc.) or for those that disagree (with the facts:), PA's DII Pennsylvania Athletic Conference (Bloomsburg, West Chester, Kutztown). In fact, a coach in the PSAC with knowledge of UW-W said that there is not a team in the conference that would beat them. 

Again, not blaming the schools.................but it is boring!! I start to follow THE BIG Four in the NCAA DIII semifinals.........when they inevitably will play each other:)

The dominence of a few has happened over the past 5-6 years. From 2000 until this 5-6 year period, Mount Union was it. Rowan, Pac Luth, St. John's, Bridgewater, Linfield and a few others had runs, but not lasting. Rowan probably the longest. Then UWW steped forward and the past 2 years UMHB and Wesley have stepped up. Now you have 4 and be assured they will host the next NCAA Brackets. I feel that it is Coaching, Recruiting and Facilities. Coach Giancola from Montclair has the most victories in D3 today, but Montclair can not compete with the Elite 4 or maybe top 10. This is not a knock on my Red Hawks but just reality. Yes I also realize that on any given day the top can fall. I traveled to Alliance a few years ago to watch Montclair play the Mount and indeed it was interesting to say the least.
It ain't over till it's over, and when you get to the fork in the road, take it.

Bombers798891

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on October 27, 2014, 01:15:50 PM

I start to follow THE BIG Four in the NCAA DIII semifinals.........when they inevitably will play each other:)

Exactly. The regular season—and as WesleyDad said, even the early playoff rounds become something to skip. We're kind of just waiting for these teams to play each other.

I think the thing is in D-III, there are so many schools and many of them don't view football success to be this huge priority—which makes sense—and even the ones who do, there aren't always enough talented players/coaches to go around. So while you see teams who have definitely responded to the challenge and raised their game, there are a number of teams that just aren't going to, at least consistently.

Mount, MHB, UW-W and Linfield have gone a combined 275-10 in conference play since the start of the 2005 season. Now, these conferences aren't lousy. In fact, the WIAC is awesome. And the others have playoff participants and very good teams. But is this a "rising tide raises all boats" affect going on, or a "Rising tides raise those who have boats while swallowing the rest of us who live on the shore" affect? We're coming up on a quarter-century of Mount running over the OAC and what's really changed over there?

I know I harp on this a lot, but as Pool C continues to shrink, this issue is only going to become more pressing. And while we can say "It's the responsibility of the other teams to improve their programs and beat them" all day, doesn't the question eventually become "Is that something that schools are invested enough in to accomplish"?

jknezek

Quote from: Bombers798891 on October 27, 2014, 02:22:52 PM

I know I harp on this a lot, but as Pool C continues to shrink, this issue is only going to become more pressing. And while we can say "It's the responsibility of the other teams to improve their programs and beat them" all day, doesn't the question eventually become "Is that something that schools are invested enough in to accomplish"?

DIII is prone to sports dynasties. It's a function of reputation and resources. While football is what we talk about around here, there are similar, if not more devastating, dynasties in almost every DIII sport. Messiah in men's and women's soccer. Wartburg and Augsburg in wrestling. Kenyon in swimming. Bowdoin and Salisbury in Field Hockey. Methodist in women's golf (and men's if you look back a bit). Salisbury in men's lax. Emory and Williams in women's tennis. Wartburg and UW-O in women's track.

Dynasties are the way DIII is built. One coach makes a difference. One administration putting in the resources. One reputation earned on the backs of one group of players can be sustained. Eventually those factors change and a new dynasty will come in. But DIII isn't really egalitarian in many sports. Baseball and basketball resist dynasties, but most DIII sports can't.

It is far more likely someone replaces UMU, UWW, UMHB and Wesley/NCC/Linfield, or their next coaching hires don't work out so well, than it is to see a true tide of teams rising to meet the challenge these current squads represent.

Bengalsrule

or not! ;)

jmcozenlaw

rams1102 - I agree with you..................although knowing a ton from the inside of Rowan's teams under Keeler, I don't really count them for reasons that may or may not be obvious to many on this board. Let's just say that the administration turned it's heads and Keeler had full run of the place for a period of time. They've cleaned it up since.

rams1102

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on October 27, 2014, 04:24:54 PM
rams1102 - I agree with you..................although knowing a ton from the inside of Rowan's teams under Keeler, I don't really count them for reasons that may or may not be obvious to many on this board. Let's just say that the administration turned it's heads and Keeler had full run of the place for a period of time. They've cleaned it up since.

Ah, Mr. Sunglasses. My firsrt D3 game was Wesley vs Rowan in 2000. I thought the Rowan team looked like Madden Football players. Wesley hung for 3 1/2 quarters before losing with Visconti at QB. I know what you mean. ;)
It ain't over till it's over, and when you get to the fork in the road, take it.