BB: LL: Liberty League

Started by John McGraw, March 11, 2007, 11:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airball55

That's a great point about the next round.  The NY region is most definitely Cortland's, followed by Ithaca and most recently Fisher and then to a smaller extent Farmingdale. The LL has to deal with cost though more than maybe any other league...maybe in the country.  The costs to attend these schools is just mind boggling.  Most of them are now in the 60000+ area.  There are really solid staffs in this league, the northern duo of CU and ST. Law do great jobs to attract kids despite geographical disadvantages.  I know Skidmore struggled this year, but, they typically overachieve.  Not sure why RPI is backing up. This though is why you have a Union, with part time coaches, Vassar and Rochester now moving up.  UR has been up and down, seems to be a three to four year cycle.  Vassar, it's just amazing how they have gone from an automatic 4 game sweep to a conference contender.  It is just to expensive to attend these schools and kids who want the dual experience of academics and baseball, the real solid ones (D1 types) go to Cortland, Fisher, Ithaca, etc.  2013 RPI 2-2,  2012 Skidmore 0-2, 2011 Clarkson 1-2 2010 Skidmore 0-2....and on in the regionals.  The last team to beat one of the powerhouse teams (Cortland, Ithaca, and even Fisher) was Clarkson back in 09 coming back in that game from a 10-2 deficit against Cortland.  If UR advances, although they did beat Ithaca, or Union, I don't see them doing much damage in the regional.  Our LL teams just don't have the horses the others in the region or whoever the NCAA decides to ship in...and that's what $60000 a year will do.

BBFan62

Quote from: airball55 on May 09, 2014, 07:42:07 PM
That's a great point about the next round.  The NY region is most definitely Cortland's, followed by Ithaca and most recently Fisher and then to a smaller extent Farmingdale. The LL has to deal with cost though more than maybe any other league...maybe in the country.  The costs to attend these schools is just mind boggling.  Most of them are now in the 60000+ area.  There are really solid staffs in this league, the northern duo of CU and ST. Law do great jobs to attract kids despite geographical disadvantages.  I know Skidmore struggled this year, but, they typically overachieve.  Not sure why RPI is backing up. This though is why you have a Union, with part time coaches, Vassar and Rochester now moving up.  UR has been up and down, seems to be a three to four year cycle.  Vassar, it's just amazing how they have gone from an automatic 4 game sweep to a conference contender.  It is just to expensive to attend these schools and kids who want the dual experience of academics and baseball, the real solid ones (D1 types) go to Cortland, Fisher, Ithaca, etc.  2013 RPI 2-2,  2012 Skidmore 0-2, 2011 Clarkson 1-2 2010 Skidmore 0-2....and on in the regionals.  The last team to beat one of the powerhouse teams (Cortland, Ithaca, and even Fisher) was Clarkson back in 09 coming back in that game from a 10-2 deficit against Cortland.  If UR advances, although they did beat Ithaca, or Union, I don't see them doing much damage in the regional.  Our LL teams just don't have the horses the others in the region or whoever the NCAA decides to ship in...and that's what $60000 a year will do.

I am not surprised by the success of Rochester, although I am surprised it happened this year. The Yellowjackets will surprise some people in the Regionals. Their Sophomore class is a very strong gorup. It appears the Freshmen are also solid, but I have not had the enjoyment of watching any games, so i can only go by what I see on the results pages and from the ga,es I "watched" on live stats.
I am not sure what to make of the league this year. Yes, Bard and Skidmore helped teams pad their stats, but I told my son (UR grad from last season) that the Jackets were going to win, once I saw the 4 teams. Clarkson may have a strong staff, but like UR last year, they can't hit.Rochester batted .304 this year (versus .268 last year), while Clarkson only hit .271. It is the year of the Jackets!

Last year the problem for the Jackets was hitting. Consider this: in 2013 UR was held to 2 runs or less 17 times and was 1 hit twice. I attribute that to "growing pains", as there were 4-5 freshmen starting last year and I do not think they were prepared to face college pitching.
On the mound, the success of Warren and Janifer do not surprise me, although Janifer did not pitch at all last year, you could tell he was a solid ballplayer.
Warren looked good last year and reminded me of the 2013 guys when those guys were freshmen. And, he is only going to get better.
The reason I don't know what to think of the league this year, other than it is balanced, is strictly comparing number.
For UR, Warren had a 6.95 era. this year 1.05. Crean, 9.58 vs. 1.55 this year, Mondon 13.98 last year, 2.79 now.Petito 7.72 vs. 3.00. Some of that is Freshmen growing pains.
For hitting, last year the jackets had 3 guys over .300, this year7 guys. Again, some of that is pure college level adjustment. Hamilton went from.138 to .372, Sander (who has been a solid player) had a down year last year at .250 but rebounded to .378 this year. Mulberg, whom I saw as the most improved last year, went from .207 to .360 this year.
So, what to make of the LL? I firmly believe the Jackets will make the Regionals, and they will win a few. What'd I'd really love is seeing them in Appleton, only 3 hours away!...........Go get 'em Jackets!

airball55

Those stats tell me the rest of the league backed up some while the Jackets improved.  I have seen Rochester this year.  They pitch decent, not a lot of velocity guys but they do throw strikes.  They don't beat themselves.  They are very scrappy.  That's a good thing.  They just don't have the athletes that a Cortland or Fisher has.  And, the LL doesn't have a ton of good teams to go along with them.  Union, Clarkson and St. Law. in my opinion (regardless of tourney) were the next best teams.  I am happy for UR, let's hope they prove me wrong in the regionals, assuming they get the job done and get Union.  That is not a guarantee by any stretch.

airball55

The Rochester jinx continues.  Union comes back from the losers bracket and gets the AQ for the Liberty League.  I would say that the best team won, nothing against Rochester who had a good season and certainly has some positive energy to build on for next season.  Union does it the hard way, which at the end of the day is much more impressive.  Good luck to Union, a deserved champion.

BBFan62

Quote from: airball55 on May 10, 2014, 04:46:34 PM
The Rochester jinx continues.  Union comes back from the losers bracket and gets the AQ for the Liberty League.  I would say that the best team won, nothing against Rochester who had a good season and certainly has some positive energy to build on for next season.  Union does it the hard way, which at the end of the day is much more impressive.  Good luck to Union, a deserved champion.
Airball, I agree with what you're saying. All I can say is a big OUCH! for Rochester. They will be back; the Freshmen & Sophomores are talented.  I was really hoping UR would do it, as as a Cub fan I'm used to saying."Wait till next year". Hats off to Union; they alos ended the #1 seeed jinx.

reddragon00

This shows the parity in the league.  I agree with airball.  The rising cost of tuition at most of these schools will put them farther away from the Cortlands of the region.  Ithaca isn't what they once were and Fisher is very over rated.  They too will fade as cost of school gets closer to the 50k mark.  I was at the games today and UR had the chances.  Just never got it done.  Spoke to Joe after...not happy!  But they had #2 arm and #4 arm out and catcher not playing due to a suspension.  I think they will be fine as they are young.  Union better pitch it well in regionals, not much pop in the offense at all.  A lot of bleeding base hits.  This conference will be fun to watch in years to come!

airball55

For UR, this seems to be their song.  Although they have been under .500 the previous three years, when they do get to the tournament, it's excuse after excuse.  Ithaca is down a bit, I don't like their chances at all. Cortland has the region for the taking. Fisher certainly has the arms to be a dangerous team, I wouldn't sleep on them.  I can't see any scenario where the NCAA won't ship a team in.  Whomever that may be, we would assume that team to be a threat.  Neither Stevens or Farmingdale evoke fear.  As for Fisher and Ithaca, who knows if they get in, could be both, might not be either.  Fisher is 30-8 in the region, it would be unprecedented to have a mark like that and not get in.

BBFan62

Quote from: airball55 on May 11, 2014, 06:11:16 AM
For UR, this seems to be their song.  Although they have been under .500 the previous three years, when they do get to the tournament, it's excuse after excuse.  Ithaca is down a bit, I don't like their chances at all. Cortland has the region for the taking. Fisher certainly has the arms to be a dangerous team, I wouldn't sleep on them.  I can't see any scenario where the NCAA won't ship a team in.  Whomever that may be, we would assume that team to be a threat.  Neither Stevens or Farmingdale evoke fear.  As for Fisher and Ithaca, who knows if they get in, could be both, might not be either.  Fisher is 30-8 in the region, it would be unprecedented to have a mark like that and not get in.

The UR YellowJackets have no excuses, they flat out lost. I'm dissappointed as anyone. The last 3 years were tough to watch, I only wish I could have watched thsi year. However, call it "more competitive", etc., but in mu counts for nothing opinion, the league could not have been as strong as the past couple if years. All you have to do is compare the teams and many of the individual stats and ask yourself how, for example, does a team like UR go from 1 guy having a +>400 OBP to having 7 guys +.400? Look at slugging %, you go from a team.297 last year to .326 this year, with virtually the same guys. There were a couple of new faces, but it is mostly the same.
You see much of the same in the pitching staff. Tim LaSuer (RPI) played at UR his first year but had a personality conflict with the UR coaches (plus probably was played in the wrong position), had a nice continuation of his career at RPI. He was not in the top 10 in hitting (hit .267 at UR) but hit .435 this year.
Most teams have a better conference performance than overall, which leads me to believe the LL is not as strong as other leagues. However LL guys go for the education, which is a strength at LL schools and prepares the guys for great careers.
But, watch the Jackets over the next couple of years!

airball55

Spot on with the last post.  This league is waiting for someone to jump up and take control.  With the turf facility and the ability to bring in kids nationally, it may be Rochester's time. They may never get to a Cortland type status, no one has...but maybe like RPI back in the early 2000's is something to shoot for.

AlleyCat

Congrats to Union on winning the leagues automatic bid. Hopefully the boys from Schenectady can do a little damage in the regional. Kean is going to be a tough matchup for a bunch of first timers, but you never know.

AlleyCat

Tough one for Union. Walk off in the 9th on first batter for reliever. Down 2-0 already this afternoon. hopefully they can come back and get at least one win in the regional. Doesn't look good for the league - 1,2 and a BBQ.

airball55

In Union's defense, they gave Kean a good game, very easily could have snuck that one out.  Those two teams similar at plate, lot's of small ball.  No shot against Stevens, who, although they finished third in the Empire 8 can pitch.  Two and out, but, not embarrassed. 

OldBallsHenry

You are right about Union not embarrassing themselves.  They could have, should have beaten Kean last night.  Their freshman right fielder has trouble with two balls in the lights and dropped them both which led to two Kean runs.  They should have been up by two heading to the ninth instead of being tied.  Then they had an early turn around today after the Kean affair ended around midnight.  The team looked and played flat against Stevens.  Could have been a different story had they beaten Kean.

nyy2344nyy

Bard College splits with UR, giving Bard first ever Liberty League win!

hotcorner15

Crunch Time in the Liberty league!

Rochester currently in the drivers seat at 11-1 with Vassar up this weekend. Stacked 1 through 9 with power numbers that are formidable, they have taken advantage of what turned out to be a favorable draw. They also have quality wins against Emory, Ithaca twice, and nearly knocked off Cortland but for a late game collapse. They finish against Clarkson and Union which may have host site ramifications.

RPI at 13-3 has a tough road in with Clarkson and RIT. Split em up and they are probably  in.   Impressive stat lines but also took care of business with a favorable  schedule. Not many wins outside of LL.

Clarkson 8-2 (14-3) getting some love in the polls looks to be a tough opponent. Key series this weekend against RPI followed by a visit to Rochester. Not sure of the quality of the Fla wins but taking 3 from Union and splitting RIT no easy feat.

RIT 7-2 took three from SLU and Vassar with Skidmore and Union up next. Win those 2 series and they should be in. If they stumble,  a final series against RPI looms large.

Union 7-5 took it on the chin in the early part of the schedule with RPI and Clarkson but did get four from Bard.  Need to take this weekends series from SLU as they have to finish up with RIT and Rochester with a DH penciled in midweek with Skidmore. Very dangerous...they will be right in the thick of this.