FB: Southern Athletic Association

Started by Ron Boerger, October 25, 2011, 02:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jknezek and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

HookEmVikes

Quote from: BerryCollegeFan on November 18, 2019, 10:47:56 AM
Quote from: Ron Boerger on November 17, 2019, 05:39:07 PM
Quote from: Ron Boerger on November 17, 2019, 09:09:14 AM
The projected bracket keeps Berry away from last year's second-round matchup with UMHB; may they be correct.  Good luck, Vikings - here's hoping you make if further this year than last!

Never mind.  Huntington-Berry winner gets UMHB (in all likelihood) in second round again.

Very disappointed they couldn't find some other way to match these teams.  SAA continues to get 1st seed matchups in the 2nd round.  Last year 2 SAA teams got 1st seed match-ups after Berry and Centre won first round, they played the eventual championship contenders.  Might have been different if Berry hadn't laid an egg against Birmingham Southern but you never know.

Well now, they just need to win and plan for Belton again.

I would think it would have been different had Berry went 10-0 and been ranked higher in the RR. I believe the SAA will continue to see this kind of bracketing until someone can get past the 2nd round a few times. Fortunately for Berry, they get a home game in the first round because of the 500 mile radius 'rule'. They are really a lower seeded team getting to host.

Ron Boerger

I feel your frustration, Berry fans.   But be thankful you're not stuck in Texas or the West Coast, where this kind of thing comes into play in nearly every sport, not just football.  When Trinity was getting in the playoffs they'd always match up against HSU or UMHB in the first or second round for the exact same reasons and seeds be darned.   Another recent example - Trinity's volleyball team was awarded the #1 seed at a regional but still had to travel last weekend - so they were the only #1 seed in the country (of 8) that didn't get to host.   As you go deeper into the playoffs, your chances of hosting a multi-team event decrease even further since everyone else would have to be flown here.   Yay!

It would seem, though, that in your case the AA could do a better job to share the UMHB 'wealth' since they can fly anyone in there, not just you.    Pat and company showed them one way to do it. 

Pat Coleman

Quote from: HookEmVikes on November 18, 2019, 10:44:11 AM
I also hate the fact that the best 32 aren't in the field.

The best 32 are never in any field anywhere.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

HookEmVikes

The best 32 are never in any field anywhere.
[/quote]

Correct. I know this, but it doesn't mean I have to like it. LOL. Until someone comes up with something better, I think its the best it can be. Everyone knows going into the season that you win the conference, you are in. If you don't, you are at the mercy of the committee and those 5 at-large bids. Heck, there are 65 teams that get into March Madness and still there are teams getting left at home that feel they should have gotten an invite.

BerryCollegeFan

Quote from: HookEmVikes on November 18, 2019, 11:21:26 AM
Quote from: BerryCollegeFan on November 18, 2019, 10:47:56 AM
Quote from: Ron Boerger on November 17, 2019, 05:39:07 PM
Quote from: Ron Boerger on November 17, 2019, 09:09:14 AM
The projected bracket keeps Berry away from last year's second-round matchup with UMHB; may they be correct.  Good luck, Vikings - here's hoping you make if further this year than last!

Never mind.  Huntington-Berry winner gets UMHB (in all likelihood) in second round again.

Very disappointed they couldn't find some other way to match these teams.  SAA continues to get 1st seed matchups in the 2nd round.  Last year 2 SAA teams got 1st seed match-ups after Berry and Centre won first round, they played the eventual championship contenders.  Might have been different if Berry hadn't laid an egg against Birmingham Southern but you never know.

Well now, they just need to win and plan for Belton again.

I would think it would have been different had Berry went 10-0 and been ranked higher in the RR. I believe the SAA will continue to see this kind of bracketing until someone can get past the 2nd round a few times. Fortunately for Berry, they get a home game in the first round because of the 500 mile radius 'rule'. They are really a lower seeded team getting to host.
Well that's the issue isn't it.  I think there are several 2nd round match-ups that would be excellent games for SAA teams.  But as we see the SAA keep drawing the juggernauts.  Centre last year would have matched up well with Brockport or Rensselaer,  maybe even Bethel or Muhlenberg.  But they drew Mount Union.

BerryViking92

I may be wrong, but I guess we are paying the price for the disaster that was the Birmingham Southern game (really, what happened that day?  I was listening and turned it off after about  5 minutes.   We basically crush everyone all season long ... except for the much closer Trinity game.... and just didn't show up one week).  With the ranking we had prior to losing that game ... we prob would have gotten a "better" 2nd round game.  I literally groaned when I saw Mary Hardin Baylor.  As someone said earlier ... we are just going to have to win one of these games (or at least be competitive) to earn a bit more respect.  A 70 point loss isn't going to help matters.

Of course, no one needs to overlook Huntington.  We will have to play very well to make the 2nd round.

wally_wabash

Quote from: BerryViking92 on November 19, 2019, 01:10:39 PM
I may be wrong, but I guess we are paying the price for the disaster that was the Birmingham Southern game (really, what happened that day?  I was listening and turned it off after about  5 minutes.   We basically crush everyone all season long ... except for the much closer Trinity game.... and just didn't show up one week).  With the ranking we had prior to losing that game ... we prob would have gotten a "better" 2nd round game.  I literally groaned when I saw Mary Hardin Baylor.  As someone said earlier ... we are just going to have to win one of these games (or at least be competitive) to earn a bit more respect.  A 70 point loss isn't going to help matters.

Of course, no one needs to overlook Huntington.  We will have to play very well to make the 2nd round.

Seems unlikely.  The Berry/Huntingdon winner is going to be a geographic orphan and UMHB, also an orphan, needs an opponent.  Until there's a philosophy change, it looks like those orphaned teams are going to get paired up as quickly as possible, regardless of what might be seed-appropriate. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Hawks88

Quote from: wally_wabash on November 19, 2019, 02:34:23 PM

Seems unlikely.  The Berry/Huntingdon winner is going to be a geographic orphan and UMHB, also an orphan, needs an opponent.  Until there's a philosophy change, it looks like those orphaned teams are going to get paired up as quickly as possible, regardless of what might be seed-appropriate.
What we would have to do is beat them one year then go 10-0 the next. That way we would get to play them at home that next year in the second round instead of going to Texas.

BerryCollegeFan

Quote from: Hawks88 on November 19, 2019, 02:43:34 PM
Quote from: wally_wabash on November 19, 2019, 02:34:23 PM

What we would have to do is beat them one year then go 10-0 the next. That way we would get to play them at home that next year in the second round instead of going to Texas.

A "better" 2nd round game would be nice, but most fans aren't delusional about chances to go deep against the top of the D3 mountain.  To get fans to consistently travel (I think ticket sales are important for the NCAA) they might want to consider avoiding potential repeat matchups.  They know it is a problem because they changed the rules for 1st round conference matchups.  But D3 fans have so few opportunities to travel and see other programs outside their regions, it would have been nice to potentially see someone different this year.  I talked to several fans who made the trip last year and they were all non-committal about the potential of this trip.

I guess we will see.  Need to win Saturday or this is Huntingdon's issue.  Looks like it is going to be a wet rainy morning, hopefully it moves out before the kickoff.

HookEmVikes

We never play well at Birmingham Southern in the first place. I have no idea why, but I have watched all of the games at BSC in person over the 7 years and we never look like the same team that played the week before or the week after. This year, the D gave up the 2 big runs in the 1st quarter and the O struggled playing catch-up. Moved the ball well in between the 10s but couldn't get in the end zone. It was homecoming for BSC, at night and we didn't match their intensity.

Had we went 10-0 and been ranked 7th where we were before the loss, I doubt we get UMHB 2nd round, but would get them sooner or later after that. You are correct on the fans travel. Hard enough to find affordable airplane tickets on Thanksgiving weekend when you are booking them the Sunday before to begin with and now going back to the same place the next year makes it harder. If I had a player going, I would find a way to make it, but outside of that, I doubt many go.

Huntingdon will be a good game on Saturday. Berry will have to play well to have a chance to go back to Belton.

Ron Boerger

I found this proposed six-year SAA schedule on the SAA site today.  Under the proposal teams play each other at different times during the season; for example Berry-Trinity moves from week 1 of conference play this year week 4 the next two years, then week 3 for two years, and week 2 in the last of the six years shown.   

Good luck on Saturday, Vikings!

BerryCollegeFan

Wow, how did you find that?
this is great.

I see this schedule:
eliminates the same team from having the bye at the end of the season
keeps alternating opponent home/away for every team opponent (best I can tell)
keeps the weekly home/away alternation (esp good for the Texas teams since they won't be on the road 2 weeks in a row).
mixes up the matchups from season to season (some years a matchup is early, some years mid/ late)

looks like a good plan.  It took me a minute to realize UOS was Sewanee.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: BerryCollegeFan on November 21, 2019, 04:52:56 PM
Wow, how did you find that?
this is great.

I see this schedule:
eliminates the same team from having the bye at the end of the season
keeps alternating opponent home/away for every team opponent (best I can tell)
keeps the weekly home/away alternation (esp good for the Texas teams since they won't be on the road 2 weeks in a row).
mixes up the matchups from season to season (some years a matchup is early, some years mid/ late)

looks like a good plan.  It took me a minute to realize UOS was Sewanee.

I agree on all points :)

Total fluke to find it.  Go to https://saa-sports.com/sports/fball/index , then click "More" in the grey menu bar, and, bam, there is "Future Schedule".

Ron Boerger

Sorry to see Berry lose; was hoping for a rematch with UMHB and was planning to drive up to Belton had that been the case. 

The all-SAA team was announced yesterday.

• Offensive PoTY:  Robert Shufford, Birmingham-Southern
  • Defensive PoTY:  Liam Vinifora, of Millsaps
  • Newcomer of the Year:  Gavin Gray, Berry
  • Special Teams PoTY:  Michael Edmonson, Trinity
  • Coach of the Year:  Jerheme Urban, Trinity
By school:
  • Berry 13 (7 1st, 6 2nd)
  • Birmingham-Southern 8 (6 1st, 2 2nd)
  • Trinity 6 (5 1st, 1 2nd)
  • Centre 6 (0 1st, 6 2nd)
  • Hendrix 6 (3 1st, 3 2nd)
  • Millsaps 5 (1 1st, 4 2nd)
  • Austin 4 (3 1st, 1 2nd)
  • Sewanee 1 (0 1st, 1 2nd)
  • Rhodes 1 (0 1st, 1 2nd)

BerryCollegeFan

It was a tough game Saturday.  Huntingdon did a good job holding the defensive pressure away from the QB.  Berry has done a good job of forcing quick pressure all season to prevent the secondary from having to defend a lot of deep throws.  The Hawks O-line held the d-line back just enough to connect on several long passes.

Berry had their chances on offense but didn't make the plays.

That swing pass to the RB wheel route just before the half was a TD if he had just caught the ball.  It would have made all the difference going into the half.

Congrats to Huntingdon, good luck next Saturday.