National Signing Day

Started by stafford, February 05, 2014, 12:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stafford

Just saw that one of our local kids signed with a D3 today. The high school athletic department twitter feed followed all the kids who were signing. One was D1 and the others were D2. Then I noticed the D3 and wondered what it is that he was signing?

I was under the impression that there was no NLI for D3 or NAIA. 

NCF

Quote from: stafford on February 05, 2014, 12:30:55 PM
Just saw that one of our local kids signed with a D3 today. The high school athletic department twitter feed followed all the kids who were signing. One was D1 and the others were D2. Then I noticed the D3 and wondered what it is that he was signing?

I was under the impression that there was no NLI for D3 or NAIA.

There is no NLI for D3. Some high schools like to take a picture and do a short story for athletes who commit to D3 schools the same as they do for D1 and D2. Usually the story ends up in the local paper. It's a nice recognition for all athletes who will be continuing their sport(s) in college.
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
CCIW  MEN"S INDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: TOTAL DOMINATION SINCE 2001.
CCIW MEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: 35
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11
2013 OAC post season pick-em tri-champion
2015 CCIW Pick-em co-champion

02 Warhawk

The Student/Athlete may come out and say "I plan on attending [insert DIII school here] to play football." That's the extent of the commitment from a recruit. Nothing really more than that.

Of course nothing is for certain until they actually enroll at the university/college, and start attending summer camp/tryouts. The only thing they really sign is when they sign up for their student loans.  ;D

Ron Boerger

Schools don't want the D3 kids to feel left out so they go ahead and let them announce, even tho as 02 Warhawk said nothing matters until they show up at whatever school in the fall.

TailGate

Some of these D3 kids who commit before signing day have given up decent D2 scholarships to go to the school of their choice - schools that have better academics, choices for majors,  facilities, location, etc.   and they should be recognized on signing day for their athletic accomplishments and future plans - even though they have chosen to go D3.

Ralph Turner

Sometimes the grant-in-aid package that a D3 "student" can get may be more than the D2 or NAIA coach is willing to give to the "athlete".

TailGate

A D2 coach told our recruits they usually only get ONE of 3 types of aid:  1-need-based (Fafsa), 2-athletic, OR 3-academic, and that the only exception was kids who had high academics and met one of these 3 conditions:  A) a 3.5 gpa, or B) top X percent of class, or C) specific score on ACT/SAT. 

I know some D2 kids who got both academic and athletic $$$ and a good deal in that.  But, also know some D2 kids who got minimal offers and wonder if coaches were just trying to boost school enrollment. 

Why do kids go D2 - rather than D3 -  if D3 can really give better deal?  Do some kids sign D2 and then get the financial aid packages from D3's later and then decide to go D3?

Also at D3, how does this work out for D3 kids who do not have much "need" and who get average grades?   Would seem that they would get best deal at D2 level - if D2 wanted them.

Confused ...

stafford

Followed through the process with 2 schools so far, one a D2 and one a D3. The D3 ended up being slightly less expensive.

Now, if the D2 had offered a small athletic scholarship on top of the merit scholarships, then maybe the D2 would have been equal or just slightly more cost effective. But they didn't offer, so it was a walk-on opportunity for son at the D2

If son retakes the SAT and scores just a little higher, then the D3 will greatly increase their merit offer to the point that the D2 won't even be in the same conversation cost wise. The D3 will be the greater value. If son is seriously interested in the D3, then he'll be signing up to re-take.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: TailGate on February 14, 2014, 01:12:01 PM
Why do kids go D2 - rather than D3 -  if D3 can really give better deal? 

The "prestige" of being associated with "scholarship" athletics. 

That said, in some cases the D2 school might be a better fit for the student.  It's not always just about where you can get the best deal.

PA_wesleyfan

Most of the D2 schools in Pa are state schools so the cost is quite a bit difference. The way they give athletic scholarships
is up to the coach how he  spreads the money around. Usually they will give upper class the most
Secondly there is a stigma that goes with D3 with some athletes. I was a High School baseball coach in the late 90's and I tried usually without much luck of convincing players as well as parents that D3 wasn't glorified High School. It was a much easier sell with multiple sports athletes.
Football !!! The ultimate team sport. Anyone who plays DIII football is a winner...