MBB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by steelyglen, February 15, 2005, 09:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

y_jack_lok

The loss to H-SC cost R-MC the one vote for Top 25 it had received for a couple of weeks.

hasanova

Quote from: y_jack_lok on February 06, 2017, 06:48:26 PM
The loss to H-SC cost R-MC the one vote for Top 25 it had received for a couple of weeks.
I noticed that also.  With two perfect weeks since losing to HSC and multiple teams losing in the Top 25, Guilford cracked the poll at #22 with 105 points.  Hopefully, the Quakers can continue their stellar play.

tigerFanAlso2

Congrats on the ranking. Finish strong and go make the odac proud in tourney play.

y_jack_lok

Seems to have been an "anything can happen" night in the ODAC with GC maybe succumbing to the Top 25 jinx, VWC losing to H-SC, and R-MC holding on for a win over SU. Meanwhile E&H moves into 3rd place alone. Nothing is for sure.

hasanova

Final Roanoke 72, Guilford 46 in Salem

An arctic chill blew over Guilford's shooting last night while the Maroons were as hot as the tropics.  At one point RC was 18 of 35 from three point range while GC was 0-14 - I think it ended 18/41 and 1/17 after the reserves finished the last 6 minutes.  It was ugly for the Quakers in a game that's difficult to explain.  We better find our mojo for Saturday versus RMC, but kudos to the Maroons.  Hard to believe RC's lost 9 if they can shoot like that.

BTW, without a doubt, Roanoke College now has the finest facility in the ODAC ... the Cregger Center is first class.

RMC FAN90

So it looks like if the jackets win on saturday that they would lock up the #1 seed and win at a least share of the ODAC regular season title. I was a doubter for sure weeks ago when i suggested this team was a wreck. Very proud of them, seems like great bunch of guys and the coaches have step up there game as well. Any predictions for saturday? i hope my jackets can pull it out. Looks like Guilford is missing a player or two from the box scores. Is the Curry kid hurt or still on the team?

hasanova

Quote from: RMC FAN90 on February 09, 2017, 05:33:54 PM
So it looks like if the jackets win on saturday that they would lock up the #1 seed and win at a least share of the ODAC regular season title. I was a doubter for sure weeks ago when i suggested this team was a wreck. Very proud of them, seems like great bunch of guys and the coaches have step up there game as well. Any predictions for saturday? i hope my jackets can pull it out. Looks like Guilford is missing a player or two from the box scores. Is the Curry kid hurt or still on the team?
Curry and Reyer have both been hurt for several weeks, which hasn't helped.  Not sure when they'll be back.  They are on the bench for all games, but aren't dressed.  I actually thought they would be back by now.  Guilford can still be the #1 seed if they win over RMC and finish at least in a tie for losses with the Yellow Jackets.  E&H cannot be the #1 seed because the best they can do is 12-4 and the worst RMC can be is 12-4 ... and the Yellow Jackets hold the head-to-head tie-breaker.  The Wasps, however, can finish alone in 2nd if they win out and GC loses their last three.  I'm not sure what happens if GC and E&H both finish 12-4 ... for that to happen, they would be tied 1-1 head-to-head because E&H has to win out, which includes a game at GC.  Anyway, it's going to be interesting.

y_jack_lok

Trying to get a feel for the GC/R-MC game from the box score. Several thing stand out. R-MC hits only 6 of 28 3 point attempts. GC shoots 35 free throws and makes 26, which I assume means they got the ball inside a bunch to draw those fouls. R-MC takes 13 more total shots than GC, but 18 more threes. It would seem that after what hasanova said about GC's tough time making 3s against Roanoke the Quakers opted for a different game plan against the Jackets and it seems to have worked. Congrats to Guilford on the win.   

hasanova

Quote from: y_jack_lok on February 11, 2017, 08:24:01 PM
Trying to get a feel for the GC/R-MC game from the box score. Several thing stand out. R-MC hits only 6 of 28 3 point attempts. GC shoots 35 free throws and makes 26, which I assume means they got the ball inside a bunch to draw those fouls. R-MC takes 13 more total shots than GC, but 18 more threes. It would seem that after what hasanova said about GC's tough time making 3s against Roanoke the Quakers opted for a different game plan against the Jackets and it seems to have worked. Congrats to Guilford on the win.   
Guilford did push the ball inside a lot as they were 16-37 on 2-FGs and only 3-10 on 3-FGs.  I knew the big guys went to the line often, but was shocked when I saw the 26-35 stat in the boxscore.  I know that seems like a huge disparity, but I do think the game was correctly officiated.  Both teams gave their all, but it was not chippy - each squad definitely knew the importance of the game.  For what it's worth, both teams played all out and with good sportsmanship, but Guilford was the better team today.  Next week's games should be interesting.

y_jack_lok

^^^ I don't think you interpreted it this way, but just to be clear, my observations about the number of GC FTs was not in any way meant to imply unbalanced officiating.

hasanova

Quote from: y_jack_lok on February 11, 2017, 11:23:21 PM
^^^ I don't think you interpreted it this way, but just to be clear, my observations about the number of GC FTs was not in any way meant to imply unbalanced officiating.
You're correct, y_jack_lok, I didn't interpret your post that way, but just wanted to give a firsthand report of what I saw today.  All good.

tigerFanAlso2

Hasa

Congrats on the victory over RMC and for the remainder of the season.

HSC continues to boggle the mind. Wins over RMC, GC and VWC; did not beat Randolph at home, gets blown out by E&H and lose to SU this past weekend. I guess they can beat or lose to any team in the ODAC. Far from being predictable. I have long given up on figuring this team out.

hasanova

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on February 13, 2017, 11:39:46 AM
Hasa

Congrats on the victory over RMC and for the remainder of the season.

HSC continues to boggle the mind. Wins over RMC, GC and VWC; did not beat Randolph at home, gets blown out by E&H and lose to SU this past weekend. I guess they can beat or lose to any team in the ODAC. Far from being predictable. I have long given up on figuring this team out.
Thanks, tfa2.  GC played well versus RMC ... the Quakers seemed determined to erase the nightmare that happened at Roanoke. 

I've been following HSC and, as you stated, they are truly a mystery.  Against GC, RMC and VWC, they looked like world beaters ... against others, they looked like a very average team.  Hard to figure who's going to show up.  Anyway, I do not know who will win the ODAC tournament.  Honestly, I think about five or six teams have a shot if they get hot.  I do, however, stand by my earlier statement that Guilford is perhaps the only team with an outside shot at getting an at-large berth if they do not win the tournament.  Should be interesting.

I hope your Tigers can finish strong. 

tigerFanAlso2

ODAC tourney; watch out for GC, VWC, RMC, E&H & LC. Based on how the season has played out I don't see another team that can put together a 3/4 game run.

I do agree that GC can receive an at-large if the only game they lose is in the ODAC final & if the score is close. 4 points or less. Give'm hell and good luck, unless of course, GC runs into my Tigers !!!!

hasanova

Quote from: hasanova on February 09, 2017, 11:25:54 PM
Quote from: RMC FAN90 on February 09, 2017, 05:33:54 PM
Curry and Reyer have both been hurt for several weeks, which hasn't helped.  Not sure when they'll be back.  They are on the bench for all games, but aren't dressed.  I actually thought they would be back by now.  Guilford can still be the #1 seed if they win over RMC and finish at least in a tie for losses with the Yellow Jackets.  E&H cannot be the #1 seed because the best they can do is 12-4 and the worst RMC can be is 12-4 ... and the Yellow Jackets hold the head-to-head tie-breaker.  The Wasps, however, can finish alone in 2nd if they win out and GC loses their last three.  I'm not sure what happens if GC and E&H both finish 12-4 ... for that to happen, they would be tied 1-1 head-to-head because E&H has to win out, which includes a game at GC.  Anyway, it's going to be interesting.
BTW, Curry played 10 minutes versus the Yellow Jackets in his first game back.  Reyer was still not dressed for the game.