MBB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by steelyglen, February 15, 2005, 09:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on February 13, 2017, 01:33:20 PM
ODAC tourney; watch out for GC, VWC, RMC, E&H & LC. Based on how the season has played out I don't see another team that can put together a 3/4 game run.

I do agree that GC can receive an at-large if the only game they lose is in the ODAC final & if the score is close. 4 points or less. Give'm hell and good luck, unless of course, GC runs into my Tigers !!!!

I think Guilford's chances of getting an at-large bid took a big hit with their loss to Roanoke. They don't have a lot of wiggle room and don't assume that because they were number one in the region they are safe. I can't tell you how many times regions like the Atlantic, East, and others have not gotten at-large bids at all. The South is not as strong as in the past and I don't think Guilford did themselves any favors. One more loss in the tournament puts them in a tough spot... we will know a lot more later this week.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

hasanova

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 13, 2017, 04:56:16 PM
Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on February 13, 2017, 01:33:20 PM
ODAC tourney; watch out for GC, VWC, RMC, E&H & LC. Based on how the season has played out I don't see another team that can put together a 3/4 game run.

I do agree that GC can receive an at-large if the only game they lose is in the ODAC final & if the score is close. 4 points or less. Give'm hell and good luck, unless of course, GC runs into my Tigers !!!!

I think Guilford's chances of getting an at-large bid took a big hit with their loss to Roanoke. They don't have a lot of wiggle room and don't assume that because they were number one in the region they are safe. I can't tell you how many times regions like the Atlantic, East, and others have not gotten at-large bids at all. The South is not as strong as in the past and I don't think Guilford did themselves any favors. One more loss in the tournament puts them in a tough spot... we will know a lot more later this week.
I don't disagree, Dave.  That's why I used qualifying language such as "Guilford is perhaps the only team with an outside shot at getting an at-large berth if they do not win the tournament" in my earlier post.

y_jack_lok

If R-MC wins at Lynchburg on Saturday then the Jackets are the #1 seed in the ODAC tournament. But a Jacket loss and a Guilford win at Bridgewater gives the Quakers the #1 seed. Did I get that right?

hasanova

Quote from: y_jack_lok on February 16, 2017, 08:27:24 AM
If R-MC wins at Lynchburg on Saturday then the Jackets are the #1 seed in the ODAC tournament. But a Jacket loss and a Guilford win at Bridgewater gives the Quakers the #1 seed. Did I get that right?
Yes, you are correct.

hasanova

Final E&H 65, Guilford 60 in Greensboro

Key stats:  E&H 17 of 21 FTs, GC 11 of 22 FTs,  That was the difference.  E&H deserved the win.  Practice your FTs, Quakers.  It was hard to watch.

algernon

Great job by David Willson at E&H this year!  The Wasps will go into the tournament as the #2 or #3 seed.  It's worth noting that David played under Tony Shaver for 2 years at HSC (2001-2003) and worked with him for a year at William and Mary.

hasanova

Quote from: algernon on February 17, 2017, 11:55:10 PM
Great job by David Willson at E&H this year!  The Wasps will go into the tournament as the #2 or #3 seed.  It's worth noting that David played under Tony Shaver for 2 years at HSC (2001-2003) and worked with him for a year at William and Mary.
I have to agree ... he may be in the running for COY.

hasanova

Final Guilford 63, Bridgewater 57 at BC

The Quakers played well enough to win on the road, but 17 of 29 FT shooting will not be good enough as the season progresses.  It may be enough against the #12 seed, but may be their Achilles heel later on.  Anyway, with an assist from LC and by virtue of their head-to-head win over RMC, Guilford garnered the #1 seed versus either #8 HSC or #9 SU.  Since VWC lost the tie-breaker with LC for the #4 seed, they are #5 and will host the Eagles on Monday night. 

y_jack_lok

Seems to me that anyone could win the tournament. And the ODAC seems to have played it's way to a one bid conference.

hasanova

Quote from: y_jack_lok on February 19, 2017, 09:00:02 AM
Seems to me that anyone could win the tournament. And the ODAC seems to have played it's way to a one bid conference.
Agree on the former and still hopeful the latter doesn't play out that way.

CMR

RMC gets a good draw in the tourney.  Being on the opposite side from GC, HSC, and VWC is helpful.

RoundBall

Guilford holds off the number 8 seed and advances. The ODAC player of the year and Lynchburg college are have their hands full in the second game. Virginia Wesleyan is shooting lights out and is leading by 4.

jknezek

Quote from: CMR on February 23, 2017, 12:39:15 PM
RMC gets a good draw in the tourney.  Being on the opposite side from GC, HSC, and VWC is helpful.

It's possible the boys from RMC got caught thinking this way as well... Doesn't really make up for football season though

hasanova

Quote from: CMR on February 23, 2017, 12:39:15 PM
... perhaps not as helpful as being opposite W&L.  Looks as though the Generals will face E&H if the last game score holds up. 

tigerFanAlso2

Hasa

Congrats on the win and good luck in the next round. Watch out for E&H, they seem to be on a roll; what a job Coach Willson has done and in a very short period of time.