MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by sac, February 19, 2005, 11:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TUAngola

"Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) Presidents' Council has voted to postpone conference competition and conference tournaments for cross country, football, men's and women's golf, men's and women's soccer, and volleyball. The Conference will develop schedules for these sports to take place later in the academic year. The MIAA is committed to offering engaging athletic experiences for student-athletes in these sports with extensive team activities this fall to include practice, skill development, strength & conditioning, leadership, and professional development opportunities.

Adrian College, Calvin University, and Trine University are exploring options to compete in all fall sports that they normally sponsor. Olivet College will explore options for competing in cross country, golf, and tennis this fall. All MIAA member institutions will continue to follow the NCAA recommendations outlined in the Resocialization to Sport – Developing Standards for Competition and Sport document for preseason resocialization to campus, practice, and competition this fall."

According to the Adrian, Calvin and Trine athletics websites, they are looking at options for playing an Independent/Non Conference schedule this fall.  More news to come on this...

ziggy

Quote from: TUAngola on July 30, 2020, 05:20:34 PM
According to the Adrian, Calvin and Trine athletics websites, they are looking at options for playing an Independent/Non Conference schedule this fall.  More news to come on this...

It will be interesting to see if anything comes of this. I would imagine a lot depends on if the NCAA ends up sponsoring championships for fall sports this fall. I think it is one thing to try to make a go of it if there is still going to be a national tournament but if not I'm not sure it makes a ton of sense to go against the flow here.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: ziggy on July 30, 2020, 08:57:53 PM

It will be interesting to see if anything comes of this. I would imagine a lot depends on if the NCAA ends up sponsoring championships for fall sports this fall. I think it is one thing to try to make a go of it if there is still going to be a national tournament but if not I'm not sure it makes a ton of sense to go against the flow here.

There can't possibly he championships this fall.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

hornets76542

Adrian College, Calvin University, and Trine University are exploring options to compete in all fall sports that they normally sponsor.

Good luck. It's pretty ridiculous, and you could argue irresponsible, that they're even considering playing D3 football right now.
go nets

oldknight

Quote from: hornets76542 on July 31, 2020, 10:05:11 AM

Adrian College, Calvin University, and Trine University are exploring options to compete in all fall sports that they normally sponsor.

Good luck. It's pretty ridiculous, and you could argue irresponsible, that they're even considering playing D3 football right now.

You could so argue. You could also argue the risk--while real--is reasonable. There already is risk to playing football, as the CDC website highlights:

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/65/wr/mm6552a2.htm

The following sentence in the summary from the CDC website might catch your attention:  "During 2005–2014, a total of 28 traumatic brain and spinal cord injury deaths in high school and college football were identified (2.8 deaths per year)."  Despite knowing of that ongoing risk, individuals and institutions continue to believe that playing the sport is worthwhile.

Moving from there, to the CDC data at another spot of their website (related to COVID-19), let me begin by pointing out it contains data breaking down deaths by age groups. Among the data (compiled through July 29), it shows there are just over 6.5 million Americans in the over-85 age group, and of that number, a total of 44,055 have died of COVID. Meanwhile, for the age group population of 15-24, there are nearly 43 million people. Of those who fit in that age category, a total of 202 have died of COVID. I suspect that most of those young people who died of COVID were already health-compromised, not healthy athletes who play football.

So is college football in the age of COVID irresponsible? I don't think the answer as obvious as your comment states.

sac

You can't pass spinal injuries and concussions on to teammates, friends, professors or relatives who then pass it on to others.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: sac on July 31, 2020, 06:57:30 PM
You can't pass spinal injuries and concussions on to teammates, friends, professors or relatives who then pass it on to others.

Or those who might be more susceptible or have conditions that could make it more risky.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

realist

My point of view is that any player in any sport that is able to take part in even gerrymandered completion has a much better chance to maintain valuable skill sets over those who don't.  Practice, and competition in a rigidly controlled setting imo is preferable to groups of students playing pick up games.  I think Adrian, Calvin and Trine are doing the responsible thing by making sure their student athlete's are closely monitored and receive proper coaching, medical attention etc.

"If you are catching flack it means you are over the target".  Brietbart.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: realist on August 01, 2020, 09:40:51 AM
My point of view is that any player in any sport that is able to take part in even gerrymandered completion has a much better chance to maintain valuable skill sets over those who don't.  Practice, and competition in a rigidly controlled setting imo is preferable to groups of students playing pick up games.  I think Adrian, Calvin and Trine are doing the responsible thing by making sure their student athlete's are closely monitored and receive proper coaching, medical attention etc.

The trick becomes ... if you start doing more for the athletes than you do the regular students on campus you start to run afoul of a lot of things. Athletes aren't supposed to get preferential treatment and if you start to monitor or give them extra things to keep them "safe" and not the rest of campus ...

Don't get me wrong, I agree with the idea of doing what is right by the student-athlete, but I did read something from a president earlier who talked about the slippery slope of testing athletes more than regular students ... or doing something to keep athletes safe and not dancers or theater people, etc. and how that isn't something that would be not only well received but allowable.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

realist

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on August 01, 2020, 01:20:08 PM
Quote from: realist on August 01, 2020, 09:40:51 AM

The trick becomes ... if you start doing more for the athletes than you do the regular students on campus you start to run afoul of a lot of things. Athletes aren't supposed to get preferential treatment and if you start to monitor or give them extra things to keep them "safe" and not the rest of campus ...

Don't get me wrong, I agree with the idea of doing what is right by the student-athlete, but I did read something from a president earlier who talked about the slippery slope of testing athletes more than regular students ... or doing something to keep athletes safe and not dancers or theater people, etc. and how that isn't something that would be not only well received but allowable.
By phrasing my post around student athletes it was not my intention to suggest they get preferential treatment.  I would expect that singers, dancers, musicians, actors et.al would need pretty much the same monitoring as athletes, and the entire general student body.
"If you are catching flack it means you are over the target".  Brietbart.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I understand ... I'm simply saying that it because too difficult to pull off.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

sac

Dre Tuominen 5-11 G  Negaunee, MI  will attend Olivet

Dre played at Mid-Michigan CC last season after spending a year at Bay College. First team all state out of high school, UP dream team and was a solid player at MCC, he should slide into Olivet's rotation pretty easily if not a starter.

Has the MIAA ever had a player from Negaunee?

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The off season has hit August and with it has come news of Division III Fall Championships being canceled for the same reason Winter Championships were derailed and Spring Championships pulled earlier this year: COVID 19 Pandemic.

The decision came on the heals of a vast majority of DIII institutions curtailing fall sports and many pushing winter sports starts on their campuses until January at the earliest.

What does this mean for the 2020-21 season of college basketball? Specifically what does it mean for Division III? Will there be a basketball season? Will it be a six-week-or-so-sprint? Or is there a way to adjust things?

On the Mid-Summer edition of the Hoopsville Podcast, we try and get some answers to those questions. We talk to one coach who actually has put together a proposal to start the season in January, with some changes to make it work including crowning a champion in April. And we talk to an administrator who also serves on the DIII Management Council to better under stand the decisions made to cancel championships and if shift a season like basketball is even possible.

Plus, we honor the best of the best in the last decade of Division III women's basketball. Gordon Mann joins us to discuss how the 2nd D3hoops.com Women's All-Decade came together (and hints of work on the men's list).

Guests include:
- Philip Ponder, Oglethorpe men's coach
- Jason Fein, Bates Athletics Director and DIII Management Council member
- Gordon Mann, D3hoops.com Senior Editor

And of course, there is always the Hoopsville Notebook. A few things we take note of that have made headlines since the beginning of July. We also tip our hat to a few of those who have always helped the show be it's best.

You can listen to the podcast here: https://bit.ly/3kGZ962

Hoopsville broadcasts from the WBCA/NABC Studio. All guests are featured on the BlueFrame Technology Hoopsville Hotline. The offseason plan is to do a podcast each month. The shows will be audio-only leading up to the start of the 2020-21 when we will restart the video shows.

If you have questions, ideas, or want to interact with the show, feel free to send them to hoopsville@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options available.

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

We also have the podcast now on Tune-In and others coming. We will update them once we have better abilities to do so.

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3sports.com
Hoopsville Season Archive: www.team1sports.com/Hoopsville
YouTube: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville