FB: Empire 8

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saxontad

Just got back from AU game.  We clearly miss Fuentes in the lineup.  I hope we had playoff jitters or a letdown from last week's emotional win.  Or maybe the opponent was under respected or we are not as good as we think.  But I have said about this team all year that they never stop playing.  That tenacity was why we won today.  But we could easily have lost.   Look forward to a cleaner performance next week against Western New England. 

On Saxon Warriors!!!

Upstate

Fisher with back to back games where they could have made a statement and both times they fell flat on their faces with laughable performances...

See ya in 2017...
The views expressed in the above post do not represent the views of St. John Fisher College, their athletic department, their coaching staff or their players. I am an over zealous antagonist that does not have any current connection to the institution I attended.

boobyhasgameyo

What a difference Coon makes.  The offense looked nothing like it does when he is out there and we all know about the defensive issues. 

Hey there 2017.  How you doin'?   :-*

middlerelief1

Rough showing for the E8 in general

I would say at 9-1, and how Frostburgh had a game that was never in doubt - perhaps they were Pool C worthy. 

What a dud of an ending to a season for Fisher.     On the O the back up QB and RB showed us reason to be optimistic.  The D needs a complete overhaul starting at the DC down to how they recruit - got to get better on that side of the ball. 

I really think Hopkins can do it this week.  They've been solid all season. 

Hope AU's first rounder was just shaking the nerves off, they'll be facing a very confident WNE team.  Really good 2nd round matchups all the way round.

sjfcards

Quote from: middlerelief1 on November 20, 2016, 07:17:39 PM

I would say at 9-1, and how Frostburgh had a game that was never in doubt - perhaps they were Pool C worthy. 

What a dud of an ending to a season for Fisher.     On the O the back up QB and RB showed us reason to be optimistic.  The D needs a complete overhaul starting at the DC down to how they recruit - got to get better on that side of the ball. 

Hope AU's first rounder was just shaking the nerves off, they'll be facing a very confident WNE team.  Really good 2nd round matchups all the way round.

I didn't love the job the DC did this year, but it was his first year and the book on him was that he was a good recruiter prior to getting the job. Hopefully we see some improvement next season. The offense figures to be strong again with several key guys returning and with what Fuitko showed during his time as a starter this year.

Ultimately I think the injuries caught up to Fisher this year. They looked very good early, but Fusco was never really the same after the Cortland game, losing Chambers was a huge loss, and the injury to Naton seemed to slow him a bit as well. On defense they were thin as it was, so losing anyone there really hurt.

That's the way it goes in football however, so there is nothing you can do about injuries. Everyone deals with them. Not to mention toward the end of the year AU and Frostburg just looked to be the better teams.
GO FISHER!!!

dlippiel

dlip was quite impressed with WNE this season. dlip hopes AU is ready for what the Golden Bears bring to the table. They are no joke and should not be taken lightly at all. Let's go Alfred!

Also this may be the first time in the history of dlip's d3 football fandom that he will be rooting for JHU. Everything JHU has been working for and building can come to fruition this Saturday with a win. ****, even a close game will make dlip more of a believer. Let's go (previously wrote Cardinals...) Blue Jays!

wesleydad

Quote from: dlip on November 23, 2016, 11:48:42 AM

dlip was quite impressed with WNE this season. dlip hopes AU is ready for what the Golden Bears bring to the table. They are no joke and should not be taken lightly at all. Let's go Alfred!

Also this may be the first time in the history of dlip's d3 football fandom that he will be rooting for JHU. Everything JHU has been working for and building can come to fruition this Saturday with a win. ****, even a close game will make dlip more of a believer. Let's go Cardinals!

dlip, they would be the Blue Jays.

dlippiel

Quote from: wesleydad on November 23, 2016, 12:13:47 PM
Quote from: dlip on November 23, 2016, 11:48:42 AM

Also this may be the first time in the history of dlip's d3 football fandom that he will be rooting for JHU. Everything JHU has been working for and building can come to fruition this Saturday with a win. ****, even a close game will make dlip more of a believer. Let's go Cardinals!

dlip, they would be the Blue Jays.

Thanks wd! You can tell how much dlip likes them... ;D

AUPepBand

So Pep is spending Thanksgiving with the family in an AirBnB in Niantic, CT and joining Mrs. Pep's aunt and cousins for Thanksgiving dinner today. Pep was responsible for breakfast....visited the Super Stop & Shop in Niantic and saw a young man with a "Western New England University" sweatshirt. Hmmmm....so Pep inquired. He was an alum who had played baseball for the Golden Bears. Not following the football team closely but knew they were in the NCAAs. Told him I'd be at the game in a few days...he wished us luck!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all!

On Saxon Warriors!
On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

Bartman

Quote from: AUPepBand on November 24, 2016, 09:30:52 AM
So Pep is spending Thanksgiving with the family in an AirBnB in Niantic, CT and joining Mrs. Pep's aunt and cousins for Thanksgiving dinner today. Pep was responsible for breakfast....visited the Super Stop & Shop in Niantic and saw a young man with a "Western New England University" sweatshirt. Hmmmm....so Pep inquired. He was an alum who had played baseball for the Golden Bears. Not following the football team closely but knew they were in the NCAAs. Told him I'd be at the game in a few days...he wished us luck!

On Saxon Warriors!
Happy Thanksgiving.......Hope the Saxons keep winning...even if it takes OT in every game ;D
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

AUKaz00

Quote from: Bartman on November 24, 2016, 10:06:49 AM
Quote from: AUPepBand on November 24, 2016, 09:30:52 AM

On Saxon Warriors!
Happy Thanksgiving.......Hope the Saxons keep winning...even if it takes OT in every game ;D

Thanks, Bart! Pep and I currently have WNE surrounded (I'm a few miles north of Bridgewater, MA for Turkey Day). Maybe I'll race Pep home tomorrow so we can bag the drum all day on saterday!
On Saxon Warriors (to the dinner table today and victory on saterday)!!!
Check out the official card game of the AU Pep Band - Str8 Eight!

Saxon73

Hoping the best for the Saxons.  It will be another tough game without Maleke Fuentes I guess.  He suffered a broken collar bone in the Fisher game I heard.  :(
" No matter the differences, brilliance always finds a common ground."  -  Stephen Colbert

Bombers798891

My overall E8 thoughts.

What a season for Alfred. 11-0, and a decent chance to move to 12-0. Johnson made the leap, and was absolutely unreal this season. This is something we haven't seen from an E8 team, and it's great to watch.

St. John Fisher's lone Pool A bid came in 2004. Is it possible that this is sort of who they are? A very good program that can do damage in the NCAAs, but for whatever reason, can't put it together over a ten-game regular season?

Ithaca lost Cortaca again. Given that this season quickly turned into a farewell tour for Mike Welch, that was incredibly disappointing. Wolfgang Shafer quietly turned in a very solid season, throwing 17 TDs to just 8 INTs. The Bombers also developed some potential weapons at WR. JR Zazzara averaged 20 YPC and had posted three consecutive 2 TD games prior to an injury costing him essentially the last three games. And Will Gladney posted 100 yard receiving efforts in two of his last three games, including an 11-catch, 130 yard, 2 TD performance against Cortland. Combined, those two turned 14 of their 56 catches into TDs.

I hope Morrisville turns it around and doesn't prove to be a one (maybe two) year wonder.

Given that the Bombers went 0-5 on the road/5-0 at home, I'd like to point out that Utica was probably a fluky quirk away from being 8-2. The Pioneers actually played at Butterfield in back to back years in 2003 and 2004 thanks to conference expansion messing with the schedule. They might be better than we think.

Cortland averaged 30 PPG, despite:
--Their leading rusher finishing with 398 yards in 11 games
--FIVE different players starting a game at QB

Korie Reed averaged almost 28 YPC. Never change, Hartwick

Bartman

Good luck to the Saxons today.....bag the Bears and then set some traps for the Raiders or  Blue Jays
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath