WBB: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Andrew Wagner, July 27, 2005, 03:52:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Wagner

Not going to be Classen (Mr. Downtown, at least spell the guy's name right ... he IS in the UWO Hall of Fame). He's too busy after stealing the boys' gig at PiHiXI

Mr. Downtown

Heywood Jabuzzoff

I heard (very reliably) that the official word is coming that Schumacher is the next UWO coach.  I wish her the best!

I must say, I thought that Betthauser was an excellent candidate, and I wish her the best of luck as well.

Lets see if the ladies can rally around the new boss!

Mr. Downtown

You know, they are getting pretty late with this choice. If they do know who it is, why don't they announce already?

If Schumacher is the new coach, I'm sure that would make the Oshkosh commmunity happy, to see that the coach who took Oshkosh West and made them a powerhouse in the state, is taking over at the top level in the city. Who knows, perhaps more people in Oshkosh (outside of campus) will pay attention.

Voice of the Titans

UWO's athletic website is down for a bit after some storm damage has turned Kolf into a disaster zone. And, witht the way they've been doing things lately, if the Northwestern sports department printed that today was Thursday, I'd believe it was Sunday.

gustiesoaps

It is official!

Terri Schumacher will be the new Titans coach:
http://www.titans.uwosh.edu/" target=_top>http://www.titans.uwosh.edu/

Good luck to her!

Mr. Downtown

Now, Schumacher has to find out who is actually going to be on the team.

Here is Oshkosh's projected starting line up

F: Herrick
F: Tyriver
G: O'Keef
G: Eggers
G: Knapp

This is a pretty good starting 5. However...some players that i have talked to awhile ago didn't really know if some of the girls were going to come back and play. Most of these girls were on the bench, so Schumacher is going to weed through the walk-ons and complete the rest of the team.

So, this offseason, the starting 5 has to be in the best condition of their lives, because they might have to play 33-35 minutes a game.  

On the hiring, I'm not quite sure if Schumacher is going to help this team win now, but I have so much confidence in her to make this program better. Just because the one knock on Oshkosh was recuirtment. Last year, one player (Oshkosh West Tyriver), and of course Eggers transferring. With Schumacher coming in, and being a top notch Womens High School Basketball coach in Wisconsin, and in the FVA conference, UWO wont be losing the best talent in the Fox Valley to other schools. Which can only strengthen the program down the road.

This year, I have no idea who Oshkosh is bringing in. Perhaps Voice of the Titans or Titan2000 know. But Schumacher has a lot of work to do to get this team ready.  

I believe she will bring UWO back to the national tournament. Though, I'm not convinced if its going to be this year. However, these girls were once number 1 in the nation last year. Maybe they will regain that form this year.

Voice of the Titans

I'm still waiting for word on what the "birdies" have to say......

As head of the WBCA the past few years, Schumacher knows nearly every HS coach in the state. I see recruiting as no problem whatsoever. But, then again, birdies could tell us different.......

Titan 2000

I have no ideas on who they have recruited for 2005.  I wish her well.

Heywood Jabuzzoff

Here is a link to the Oshkosh Northwestern... There are 4 articles on the Schumacher hire under headlines form July 30.

The Larry Grahm article is quite scathing...  I think there is going to be considerable pressure on her to do well.  Best of luck

Voice of the Titans

In the past few months, Graham has looked to burn any bridge that is out there. The Northwestern better send somebody else to UWO games, cause there might not be many quotes if Larry's there.

Mr. Downtown

I understand that Oshkosh fans/media/critics are very hard at times on their teams. But this is why Graham is wrong.

Coach Schumacher has won a STATE TITLE. She was the head of all women's basketball coaches.

(Shakes head)

I know that I have said some pretty stupid things, granted a lot of people have. Though, how can you bash her before she even starts! Honestly, where was the Coach Ruder bashing? I mean c'mon, look at last year. Oshkosh was number 1, and then one loss. Yeah, it was a very bad loss to Stout (88-58, @home), but all of a sudden, we saw a totally different starting lineup. Then another one, and another, and another, and another, and another...

And...I keep bringing this up...Where is the recruiting class?!?!?!? I understand that a lot of the recruiting is done by the assistants. Though it has to be the head coach that persuades them to suit up in the Gold and Black. Evidently, the past couple of seasons, Ruder didn't do that enough.  

Now, no one knows who is coming back to the team.

No one knows the new class of basketball players, if any.

And we have only one player to bump up from last year, and she was starting at the end of the year (Tyriver).

So instead of pointing out why Oshkosh "deserves better", he should have pointed out that how hard of a job Schumacher is going to have to clean up the mess that Ruder left behind. In my honest opinion, if Ruder didn't leave, we would have seen possibly one of the worse seasons Oshkosh has had in quite sometime. Just because talking to players during the past season, it was really going downhill fast. It was the PLAYERS that got them to the conference tourney championship game against Stout. Not COACHING.  

(Sighs)

Now that I have voiced my opinion, I hope Schumacher finds a way to beat Stout, and finds a way to get these girls to the dance. So I can go the practice fields, shoot down a crow, and serve to Graham.

Titan 2000

Graham sure seems mean-spirited, maybe ome of the Lady Titans will punch him out http://discus.d3hoops.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif" ALT=":-)" BORDER=0>

Andrew Wagner

Who will join on as assistants?