BB: SCIAC: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, December 31, 2005, 09:33:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teddy_Ballgame

Quote from: SoCalSoxFan on April 27, 2015, 10:12:49 AM
Quote from: Jack Parkman on April 26, 2015, 11:40:40 PM
i'm really not sure how the tie breaker would work if Cal Lu loses to Oxy.  With all 3 teams being 20-8, Cal Lu would have the advantage over P-P but not Redlands.  Redlands couldn't jump P-P since they split 2-2 this year.  Would it go to who had the best record against the 4th place team?  If so (and it's LaVerne) Cal Lu was 2-1, P-P was 1-2 and Redlands was 3-1.  If the 4th place team is Oxy, Cal Lu would be 3-1, Redlands would be 2-1 and Pomona would be 2-1.

Of course, all of this can be thrown out the window if Cal Lu wins tomorrow.
As I understand it,

If CLU loses today vs Oxy,
If three way tie, they look at record against each other.

PP: 2-2 vs Redlands, 1-2 against CLU    3-4 overall
Redlands:  2-2 vs PP, 2-1 vs CLU     4-3 overall
CLU:  2-1 vs PP, 1-2 vs Redlands    3-3 overall

Redlands wins the tie breaker.  CLU 2nd seed.  PP 3rd seed .... 
or, at least that's how I think it works.

For 4th:   Oxy 16-10 and LV 18-10,
Oxy needs to win today against CLU and Tues against Whittier (which just beat LV)
if they do, both Oxy and LV are 18-10.  And they are 2-2 against each other.   I don't know what the next tiebreaker is. 

I think you're correct on the three way tiebreaker. Further, if CLU wins and it's Redlands-PP tied for the two seed, since both teams are 2-2 against each other I believe the next criteria is record against the top team (that's how it was explained to me anyway). In which case Redlands 2-1 vs CLU gets the two seed over PP 1-2 vs CLU. Not sure if that same tiebreaker would be used for ULV and Oxy- if so ULV went 1-2 and Oxy was swept. So ULV would still get in. Meaning ULV has already clinched the four seed.

I'm honestly not sure though, and a CLU win in the continued game this afternoon and a Redlands loss tomorrow against CMS will solve a few headaches.

Side note:
ULV vs. CLU-UoR-PP = 4-6
Oxy vs. CLU-UoR-PP = 2-7 (3-7 if they get to the point of needing to look at tie breakers)

Teddy_Ballgame

Totally unrelated to SCIAC playoffs and Pool C's... but I managed to catch a few innings of the PP-CMS game (after playing my own old man baseball game). At first I was disappointed in the Hens for trailing as late as the 8th inning to a team that's seen a lot of struggles this year. But I (a) realized that CMS is a lot better than their record shows- they're scrappy and they can swing the sticks pretty well and (b) remembered just how much the rivalry means to both teams.

Every year in just about every sport, it doesn't matter who the "better" team is. It's almost always a dog fight, and the "underdog" performs a lot better than expected. There's something so special and unique about sharing a campus with your archrivals- walking to each other's field/court, dining together, taking classes together, even partying together. And it doesn't hurt that Pomona and Mckenna are always within a few spots of each other on the college rankings, with HMC Scripps and Pitzer also elite academic institutions.

Maybe its the knowledge that you can dangle your successes over your rivals heads with such ease and frequency that leads to such passion on the field, or the fear of being on the other side. Regardless, the rivalry is pretty much unparalleled in college sport. There's a reason former PP Basketball coach Greg Popovich still calls the CMS-PP games at old Ducey gym the most intense games he's ever coached.

I'm glad CMS played such a close game, but I'm even happier PP went 4-0 this year  ;D

Good luck to the Stags in their finale against Redlands Tuesday! In 2010 CMS played one of their best games of the year in the finale against Redlands to clinch a SCIAC title for my Sagehens, maybe they can help us secure a 2 seed this year in the same way.

SoCalSoxFan

CLU took care of business with another double digit offensive performance.  15-3 after continuing game down 2-1.  5th game in a row > 10 runs.

Looking strong now that most of infielders returned from injury.  5 starters hitting .380 or better.   And they have solidified back end of bullpen.  Looking forward to SCIAC tourney this upcoming weekend.

Purple Heys

Having gone through the process twice before, I still get wispy watching college seniors play the last game of their collegiate careers.

Congratulations to you all.  Adding intercollegiate athletics to your resume gives an employer another reason to remember who you are in a crowd.  Team play and competitiveness in the business world is every bit as important in the office as it was on the field (or track or court).

Best of luck '15.  :)
You can't leave me....all the plants will die.

RFB

Quote from: Purple Heys on April 29, 2015, 01:32:39 AM
Having gone through the process twice before, I still get wispy watching college seniors play the last game of their collegiate careers.

Congratulations to you all.  Adding intercollegiate athletics to your resume gives an employer another reason to remember who you are in a crowd.  Team play and competitiveness in the business world is every bit as important in the office as it was on the field (or track or court).

Cal Lu on the resume qualifies you to make copies and fetch coffee at best. Maybe an internship reporting to a Sh*ttier graduate.

Teddy_Ballgame

Quote from: RFB on April 29, 2015, 04:23:46 PM
Quote from: Purple Heys on April 29, 2015, 01:32:39 AM

Cal Lu on the resume qualifies you to make copies and fetch coffee at best. Maybe an internship reporting to a Sh*ttier graduate.

Go back to your cave, troll.

SoCalSoxFan

SCIAC picks:

Friday:
LV at CLU:  Iniquez vs Peters.   Last time Peters gave up 2 ER; but took loss due to 3 Unearned runs.  Iniquez 8 IP, 4 ER. 
CLU defense has improved with return of players.   CLU offense on a roll; 5 straight 10+ runs.
Iniquez last 7 outings, 21 ER in 46 IP 4.11ERA.   LV scoring ave of 4.4 in last 10.
Pick:  CLU

PP at Redlands:  Minjarez last two starts, 4IP ERA 6.75  One of the games was vs PP.   But Redlands won 9-7 due to 4 unearned runs.
PP offense #2 in SCIAC.  Redlands won the Round Robin 9-7.
Pick:  Redlands

Sat:
PP at LV:  Picking PP; Even though LV took 2 of 3 from PP, they just lost 3 in a row in Round Robin.
Redlands at CLU (will Redlands be home team even though at CLU)  Picking CLU.   It's going to be much harder if they are visitor, even playing at home

PP vs Redlands:  Redlands

Sun:  CLU over Redlands

I'm pretty comfortable with the picks for/against LV and CLU;
PP and Redlands could go the complete opposite with PP winning game 1 and Saturdays rematch.  But, Redlands has been hitting well and pitching is more consistent; and they did just win all 4 in Round Robin; including 9-7 against PP due to 4 Unearned runs.  PP has given up 53 Unearned vs Redlands 39.  I think we'll see Redlands win Sat due to Unearned run.

In the end:  CLU wins SCIAC for third year in a row.

Teddy_Ballgame

Quote from: SoCalSoxFan on April 29, 2015, 08:36:23 PM
SCIAC picks:

Friday:
LV at CLU:  Iniquez vs Peters.   Last time Peters gave up 2 ER; but took loss due to 3 Unearned runs.  Iniquez 8 IP, 4 ER. 
CLU defense has improved with return of players.   CLU offense on a roll; 5 straight 10+ runs.
Iniquez last 7 outings, 21 ER in 46 IP 4.11ERA.   LV scoring ave of 4.4 in last 10.
Pick:  CLU

PP at Redlands:  Minjarez last two starts, 4IP ERA 6.75  One of the games was vs PP.   But Redlands won 9-7 due to 4 unearned runs.
PP offense #2 in SCIAC.  Redlands won the Round Robin 9-7.
Pick:  Redlands

Sat:
PP at LV:  Picking PP; Even though LV took 2 of 3 from PP, they just lost 3 in a row in Round Robin.
Redlands at CLU (will Redlands be home team even though at CLU)  Picking CLU.   It's going to be much harder if they are visitor, even playing at home

PP vs Redlands:  Redlands

Sun:  CLU over Redlands

I'm pretty comfortable with the picks for/against LV and CLU;
PP and Redlands could go the complete opposite with PP winning game 1 and Saturdays rematch.  But, Redlands has been hitting well and pitching is more consistent; and they did just win all 4 in Round Robin; including 9-7 against PP due to 4 Unearned runs.  PP has given up 53 Unearned vs Redlands 39.  I think we'll see Redlands win Sat due to Unearned run.

In the end:  CLU wins SCIAC for third year in a row.

Redlands beats PP at home 10-4. Interestingly, Gerics got the start for the Hens and Collins (not Mijarez) started for the Bulldogs. Gerics is a recent addition to the rotation having serviced mainly as their closer this year. He's also been their most consistent pitcher of late.

Redlands jumped out early with five runs in the first inning (only two earned). After that Gerics settled down and didn't give up another run before getting replaced in the 7th. PP managed to scratch together a few runs during that time to make it 5-4. But then the Redlands bats woke up again and scored 5 more runs in the 7th and 8th and to close it out.

Meanwhile, the La Verne offense exploded against Peters and Cal Lu in the fifth and sixth innings to turn a 2-0 deficit into a 10-2 lead. They ended up pulling out the 12-3 win and didn't use a single reliever. Surprising result given how La Verne stumbled into the tournament and how dominant Cal Lu had looked recently.

Tomorrow:
La Verne v. Redlands for a trip to championship Sunday
-Early pitched today for ULV, so I'm assuming they'll go with Iniguez. Redlands likely throws Minjarez. Should be a fun matchup.
PP v. Cal Lu to stay alive
-I'm guessing we'll see Miles tomorrow against Saito. However, Miles was torched last time against Cal Lu, and Saito got handed CLU's one loss in that series. So there's an outside chance we could see Yen (who pitched in PP's win but struggled in his last start) for the Hens and/or Pautsch (who has better overall numbers this year than Saito anyway) for the Kingsmen.

Not that there was much real chance anyway with Whitworth winning the NWC, but I think today definitively closed the door on any SCIAC Pool C hopes.

Jack Parkman

Pretty bad showing for Cal Lu, no other way to put it.  I would thing Pomona goes with Yen since he is a lefty.  My money is on Redlands taking it all home.

Teddy_Ballgame

Quote from: Jack Parkman on May 01, 2015, 11:51:58 PM
Pretty bad showing for Cal Lu, no other way to put it.  I would thing Pomona goes with Yen since he is a lefty.  My money is on Redlands taking it all home.

Cal Lu dominates PP 10-0.

You were right on Yen, though it looks like it may not have been the best call for PP. He was smacked around for 6 ER in 2 IP before giving way to Miles, who was a tad better (4 ER in 6 IP). Regardless, it's tough to win a game when you don't score any runs yourself. PP managed 8 hits of Saito in 6 innings but couldn't get any runs on the board.

Tough way for the Hens to end their season. But, all things considered, a 28-13 record is something to be proud of. Congrats to the seniors. The faintest of silver linings- at least they can play in the alumni golf tournament tomorrow :)

SoCalSoxFan

Continuing their strong weekend, LV defeated Redlands 5-2 to head into Championship Sunday undefeated.
Redlands then proceeded to lose to CLU 9-3 as CLU sent both PP and Redlands home today.

Sluggerdad

Cal Lu seems to like to throw the occasional stinker into the mix and then to follow it up with a pounding of the opponent.  What's up with that?

Jack Parkman

Quote from: Sluggerdad on May 02, 2015, 08:47:25 PM
Cal Lu seems to like to throw the occasional stinker into the mix and then to follow it up with a pounding of the opponent.  What's up with that?

If they don't win both tomorrow they can only blame themselves.  Looking at the Whittier series is probably the #1 reason they would be left at home.

SoCalSoxFan

Quote from: Jack Parkman on May 02, 2015, 11:01:11 PM
Quote from: Sluggerdad on May 02, 2015, 08:47:25 PM

If they don't win both tomorrow they can only blame themselves.  Looking at the Whittier series is probably the #1 reason they would be left at home.

True.    Whittier series definitely put a huge dent in or deflated any Pool C chances they had.  As did Whitworth surprising win in NWC tourney.
Of course, CLU did beat Whitworth 2x this year; but that's not enough to put them higher in Regional rankings.

We'll see what CLU can do tomorrow.  They are going to have to go deep into bullpen to pull out two wins tomorrow. 
And LV has looked good in their two wins.

John McGraw

Cal Lutheran three outs away from forcing a winner-take-all game for the SCIAC championship against La Verne. Kingsmen ahead of the Leopards, 14-0, in the bottom of the ninth.