WBB: American Southwest Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, March 17, 2005, 02:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

HSU--Sonya West 21 pts 10 rebs; Dennard 13 pts 13 rebs; Henley 10 pts, Singletary 12 pts.

FG 19-51 37%; 3FG 6-16; FT 19-28 Rebs 51

McM--Richardson 26 pts 12 rebs; Sawyer 10pts; Engelke 9 pts; Burton 4 pts.
FG 20-68; FT 5-20; FT 9-16; TO 13. Rebs 45.

Ralph Turner

Any rubber match will be on a neutral floor!  :-\

Wait a minute!!! I really want to win the 4th game this season!!!! ;D

fanstand

The first half of the ball game, we couldn't buy a bucket. Oh well, we still managed to keep the game close. It is not the end of the world by a long shot. We will regroup and find our fire.  I think some of the pressure is off of us now, we can finish the west out strong and then be ready for the conference tournament. Tonite the shots fell for HSU, and there were some ugly shots falling. Seemed like we were down 6 pts. the whole game. I must say the McM ladies never panicked and kept fighting, the atmosphere was great, they just jumped on us early. The sun comes up tomorrow and we will meet again..................................

inthepaint

Quote from: fanstand on January 31, 2006, 01:15:18 AM
The sun comes up tomorrow and we will meet again..................................

That is the attitude of a champion, for sure!  Gosh, I would have liked to have been at that game! 

This HSU team has surprised me greatly.  Spanking HPU in Browntown and now upsetting McMurry really shocks me.  I was not a believer in this team in the early part of the season but they are making believers out of us all!

Ralph Turner

Quote from: inthepaint on January 31, 2006, 09:20:43 AM
Quote from: fanstand on January 31, 2006, 01:15:18 AM
The sun comes up tomorrow and we will meet again..................................

That is the attitude of a champion, for sure!  Gosh, I would have liked to have been at that game! 

This HSU team has surprised me greatly.  Spanking HPU in Browntown and now upsetting McMurry really shocks me.  I was not a believer in this team in the early part of the season but they are making believers out of us all!

We play great basketball down here.  We just need a break-out season for the ASC.  What I would like to see is the Lady Chocs going east and the ASC-West bid winners going west and then seeing how far they could go.

moseshightower

Sounds like a great game last night, it's too bad that these two teams will most likely have to meet very early in the NCAA tournament, if they both make it.

mcmfan

If 2006 is any sort of repeat of 2005, they'll meet in the conference tournament for the final showdown!
Alacumba!

matalk

In the paint, help me out here. HSU didn't spank HPU in Bwood, they were down the whole game and won in the last minute or so. McM handled them in Bwood. HSU seems to be coming on strong but I still feel like McM has stronger players on most given days. I think some of the best play will come in the next 3 weeks.

calhsu

TO ALL HSU FANS THIS IS A WARNING:
Resist the urge to do what HPU fans did during the years that HSU was the top team.  DON'T gloat.  HSU girls don't dream about beating MCM teams they still dream of championships.
Here are the only things last nights win means.
1.  MCM will not go undefeated this year.
2.  MCM will go down in the polls and HSU will go up.
3.  The only important thing that happened last night was that it shows that HSU is better as a team than it was eariler.

As I have been saying for the last three weeks it still comes to down to the playoffs.   As far as the ASC goes, this year has shown that there are three levels.  Most of the ASC is bad.  Both west and east is filled with very poor programs.  I have not noticed anything this year to change what I said about those teams before the season began.  Level two is made up of one team.   That would be HPU.  They are clearly better than the first group I just mentioned.  But they are not ready to beat the teams in level one.  Keep dreaming if you are one of their fans.  Last year was last year, and this team will not go any farther than making an apperance at MC at the playoffs. 
Of course that leaves the top level.  MC, MCM,  and as of last night HSU.  I still think two could make the big dance. 

calhsu

One other thing.

Ralph I did not say that two teams would make the tournament based on the the polls for as you said they don't mean anything in the selection process.
What I meant was that polls do only one thing.  They let the rest of the country know you exist.  In the past the only team they knew was HSU.  Since they were winning the championships that was fine.  But the only other time two teams from the ASC went to the big dance was when HSU had McMurry join them and that I believe was because MCM had been in the polls all year with HSU.  Now you can't deny that. 
A couple of years ago MC had a great team.  I think its only losses were to HSU.  But they never made the polls.  no invitation was in the mail.

sethhpu

inthepaint, I don't really call HSU beating HPU a spanking by any means. HSU was down at the half and only won by 3 points. Survived might be a better word considering how everybody hates playing in Brownwood. Hopefully HPU will play to their potential when the rematch happens in Abilene.
Defense wins championships

dballa

HSU was in the polls all of last year and they didn't make the post season....can't deny that either.

inthepaint

Quote from: matalk on January 31, 2006, 11:09:34 AM
In the paint, help me out here. HSU didn't spank HPU in Bwood, they were down the whole game and won in the last minute or so. McM handled them in Bwood. HSU seems to be coming on strong but I still feel like McM has stronger players on most given days. I think some of the best play will come in the next 3 weeks.

I completely agree!  "Spank" may not have been the best word to use as we may have different understandings.  I did not say "whipped," but "spanked."  They spanked HPU by upsetting them on their own floor, something that is always a very difficult thing to do.  The Mausoleum is a tough, tough place to play. 

I am also of the opinion, along with you, that McM has the best team in the ASC, west or east.  HSU surprised me with their win in Browntown, something I never would have expected.   The McM victory was also something I never would have expected.  I am pleasantly surprised, mind you, as I love those Cowgirls, but I agree with you that McM has the stronger team. 

These three weeks will be exciting!

inthepaint

Quote from: sethhpu on January 31, 2006, 01:01:46 PM
inthepaint, I don't really call HSU beating HPU a spanking by any means. HSU was down at the half and only won by 3 points. Survived might be a better word considering how everybody hates playing in Brownwood. Hopefully HPU will play to their potential when the rematch happens in Abilene.

I hope I have cleared up any misconceptions I created with the word, "spanked."  I understand it was a narrow victory.  I was surprised by it, not expecting HSU to steal one from HPU in the Mausoleum.  Survived may be the better word.

As you are expressing your hopes, you would do well while hoping HPU plays to their potential that HSU plays beneath their own.  If both teams play to their full potential it will be a game right up to the final buzzer.

This season is exciting, isn't it?

Ron Boerger

Quote from: dballa on January 31, 2006, 01:02:19 PM
HSU was in the polls all of last year and they didn't make the post season....can't deny that either.

Fortunately, as our good friend Ralph Turner has pointed out, there are a lot more Pool C buds available this year.  A team that is ranked all season and has a solid QoWI should have an excellent shot at this playoffs, unlike previous seasons where there were less than a handful of bids available.