Shenandoah, TX 2018-19 NCAA d3fb championships

Started by Ron Boerger, October 13, 2017, 09:46:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wally_wabash

Quote from: retagent on December 17, 2019, 11:57:33 AM
Arguably, in hind sight, the SJU/UMHB tilt was the "Stagg Bowl" last year. And that was a Quarter-final.

What guarantees were there that St. John's would have won the next two? Or that St. John's would have won this week?
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Pat Coleman on December 17, 2019, 09:56:46 AM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on December 17, 2019, 08:52:24 AM
For now it looks like the UWW SJU semifinal was the championship game in the playoffs.  I hope that we have temps in the lower 50's, a dry field and less than 10 MPH winds.

Unless it's the North Central-Mount Union second-round game ...
Yes, that would also be a great nominee.

I hope that we see a UWW-NCC Stagg Bowl that is predicate to those two games.

HSCTiger74

Quote from: Ralph Turner on December 16, 2019, 07:10:02 PM
Looking back at the bracket, the only thing standing in front of North Central and the Stagg Bowl was Mount Union.

IMHO. that "eastern" bracket was much weaker than we even imagined.

The "western" bracket had Wheaton, SJU, UMHB and UWW.

I cannot make a case for Del Valley because of how close Bridgewater played them.

Or just maybe Bridgewater was better than you're willing to give them credit for.
TANSTAAFL

Ralph Turner

Quote from: HSCTiger74 on December 17, 2019, 01:43:04 PM
Looking back at the bracket, the only thing standing in front of North Central and the Stagg Bowl was Mount Union.

I cannot make a case for Del Valley because of how close Bridgewater played them.

Or just maybe Bridgewater was better than you're willing to give them credit for.
Respectfully yes.

When it comes time for my South Region Fan Poll, I really need to reassess Bridgewater.

smedindy

Funny, I didn't think regions played the game. Just the teams that happen to be in the arbitrary regions the NCAA assigns to them.

retagent

Quote from: wally_wabash on December 17, 2019, 12:55:44 PM
Quote from: retagent on December 17, 2019, 11:57:33 AM
Arguably, in hind sight, the SJU/UMHB tilt was the "Stagg Bowl" last year. And that was a Quarter-final.

What guarantees were there that St. John's would have won the next two? Or that St. John's would have won this week?

I guess our criteria are different. My only contention is that seemed to be the closest contested until the end, game the Championship team played. Can't speak for anything else, nor did I mean to imply anything else.

bleedpurple

Quote from: wally_wabash on December 17, 2019, 12:02:12 AM

This take is never really very good, but it's particularly not good in a year when an "eastern" team beat a WIAC champion who recently beat one of the teams playing for the national championship.  The annual pile-on on the East region should probably just get skipped this year.

I don't know... it seems like when you have to use a relatively weak transitive property example instead of just using the actual playoff performance of the east teams, that's not exactly the strongest defense of the east.  Beating UW-0 September 14 doesn't come anywhere close to beating UW-W in December. Just my less than neutral opinion.

Ralph Turner

FCGrizzliesGrad

Speaking of Oshkosh and transitive properties... something that probably only interests me is looking at a bracket and seeing the longest chain of teams to be made and this year that begins with UW-Oshkosh.
Oshkosh lost to Central who lost to Wheaton who lost to St John's who lost to UW-Whitewater who lost to North Central. Had UWW won last night that spot would have gone to Case Western Reserve. Last year the "honor" went to Framingham St.
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

jknezek

So can we stick a fork in Shenandoah as a venue for the Stagg? Sure it's decent when UMHB plays, but it's really hard to claim any kind of community support for the event after this year. I understand the weather wasn't great, but 1362 officially is.... putrid. All the complaints about Salem, but even in the worst weather, people cared and showed up. You have to go back to the mid 80s and Phenix City AL to get official attendance as pathetic as this year. Which kind of proves the point. Areas with limited to no connection to DIII make poor options for these games.

Looking forward to Canton next year. Close to the heart of DIII country. While I have nothing against UMU, I do hope they don't make it at least one of the next two years so we can get a bead on community support for the Stagg in that area. I think the NCAA underestimated how much Salem put into those games year after year, but I expect Canton will do better than Texas.

MUC57

Quote from: jknezek on January 29, 2020, 08:58:04 AM
So can we stick a fork in Shenandoah as a venue for the Stagg? Sure it's decent when UMHB plays, but it's really hard to claim any kind of community support for the event after this year. I understand the weather wasn't great, but 1362 officially is.... putrid. All the complaints about Salem, but even in the worst weather, people cared and showed up. You have to go back to the mid 80s and Phenix City AL to get official attendance as pathetic as this year. Which kind of proves the point. Areas with limited to no connection to DIII make poor options for these games.

Looking forward to Canton next year. Close to the heart of DIII country. While I have nothing against UMU, I do hope they don't make it at least one of the next two years so we can get a bead on community support for the Stagg in that area. I think the NCAA underestimated how much Salem put into those games year after year, but I expect Canton will do better than Texas.

jknezek

Good post. While I hope Mount Union makes it both years, or at least one year, I certainly understand your comment. Be nice to see the attendance if UMU isn't there. The Pro Football Hall of Fame will be quite a venue. We have the OAC Media Day there. 
I have never been to a Stagg Bowl so would love to see one close to home. (I live in Alliance, 18 miles from Canton).
Anyway, good to see you posting again. Best to ya in 2️⃣0️⃣2️⃣0️⃣ ❗️😃
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

jamtod

Quote from: FCGrizzliesGrad on December 21, 2019, 09:50:47 AM
Speaking of Oshkosh and transitive properties... something that probably only interests me is looking at a bracket and seeing the longest chain of teams to be made and this year that begins with UW-Oshkosh.
Oshkosh lost to Central who lost to Wheaton who lost to St John's who lost to UW-Whitewater who lost to North Central. Had UWW won last night that spot would have gone to Case Western Reserve. Last year the "honor" went to Framingham St.

This is particularly amusing since we can go back one game further and find Oshkosh beating UWW.

jknezek

Quote from: MUC57 on January 29, 2020, 09:28:08 AM
Quote from: jknezek on January 29, 2020, 08:58:04 AM

jknezek

Good post. While I hope Mount Union makes it both years, or at least one year, I certainly understand your comment. Be nice to see the attendance if UMU isn't there. The Pro Football Hall of Fame will be quite a venue. We have the OAC Media Day there. 
I have never been to a Stagg Bowl so would love to see one close to home. (I live in Alliance, 18 miles from Canton).
Anyway, good to see you posting again. Best to ya in 2️⃣0️⃣2️⃣0️⃣ ❗️😃

You as well. And I have nothing against UMU making it both years other than curiosity. When push comes to shove, I admit to having a bias toward the small DIII schools vs the state schools. Hope your new coach is healthy and successful and 2020 is a good year for you as well.

Ron Boerger

Given that the Shenandoah city council thought about bailing on the NCAA before the first one, and that there was no fortune made the second time around, I can't see them applying to host again.  The scarcity of D3 football programs in the area (UMHB, SW, TLU are probably the only schools within 200 miles) means nobody local has a clue about the schools involved or D3 football in general. 

Though I doubt it would have made a huge difference in attendance, I never understood why UMHB partnered with a high school district so far away instead of one in the central Texas area.  There are plenty of facilities around here that are up to the standard Shenandoah set.

Pat Coleman

The new-new city manager wants to have it again, apparently. But it also seems like that position turns over pretty frequently.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.