MBB: Coast 2 Coast Athletic Conference

Started by Mr. Ypsi, March 27, 2005, 10:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Goose_13 on October 19, 2017, 03:39:41 PM
Holy crap!! Ferrum is going to the ODAC and Southern Virignia is (is that confirmed?) leaving the NJAC!? What rock have I been hiding under for the past 4 to 6 months!?! I even had lunch with a couple of my old cronies from CNU last week and they didn't even say anything about all of this. I'd hate to see the CAC go away, especially with it's longstanding tradition. I thought the move to the CAC was a must for CNU. Now it could be all for not. Can we speculate on the possibility of the CAC dissolving for a second. Where in the world would CNU end up?! I can't even wrap my head around it. The Ferrum move to the ODAC seems like a no brainer. Cuts down on some of those long trips to Georgia for sure, plus it's a private school in a conference filled with private schools, so I get that. Southern Virginia I can understand too, especially from a football standpoint and the travel. I'm not exactly in the know here, but in my experience, I didn't think SVA had a lot of money to be able to spend on travel as extensive as the NJAC can be, so is this a cost saving move? Definitely can see that. Whew that was a lot to catch up on in a matter of minutes. Love to hear anyone else's take on this or expanded take from what I've had a chance to read. Hope everyone is doing well!!

The real question is how much have you actually missed... because there is more.

To start with what you got, yes Ferrum is going to the ODAC in all sports. However, Southern Virginia is leaving the NJAC in just football. They will remain in the CAC for all other sports (as they are now).

Now for what I am not sure if you know about or not: Marymount and Wesley are leaving the CAC and the end of this academic year for a yet-to-be-named conference. You can read more about that here, especially since no one has announced it officially (SMH): http://www.d3sports.com/notables/2017/06/new-conference-shuffle-coming
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Swish3

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on October 19, 2017, 04:00:59 PM
Holy crap!! Ferrum is going to the ODAC and Southern Virignia is (is that confirmed?) leaving the NJAC!? What rock have I been hiding under for the past 4 to 6 months!?! I even had lunch with a couple of my old cronies from CNU last week and they didn't even say anything about all of this. I'd hate to see the CAC go away, especially with it's longstanding tradition. I thought the move to the CAC was a must for CNU. Now it could be all for not. Can we speculate on the possibility of the CAC dissolving for a second. Where in the world would CNU end up?! I can't even wrap my head around it. The Ferrum move to the ODAC seems like a no brainer. Cuts down on some of those long trips to Georgia for sure, plus it's a private school in a conference filled with private schools, so I get that. Southern Virginia I can understand too, especially from a football standpoint and the travel. I'm not exactly in the know here, but in my experience, I didn't think SVA had a lot of money to be able to spend on travel as extensive as the NJAC can be, so is this a cost saving move? Definitely can see that. Whew that was a lot to catch up on in a matter of minutes. Love to hear anyone else's take on this or expanded take from what I've had a chance to read. Hope everyone is doing well!!

The real question is how much have you actually missed... because there is more.

To start with what you got, yes Ferrum is going to the ODAC in all sports. However, Southern Virginia is leaving the NJAC in just football. They will remain in the CAC for all other sports (as they are now).

Now for what I am not sure if you know about or not: Marymount and Wesley are leaving the CAC and the end of this academic year for a yet-to-be-named conference. You can read more about that here, especially since no one has announced it officially (SMH): http://www.d3sports.com/notables/2017/06/new-conference-shuffle-coming

Strictly from an athletic point of view, the only thing myself and the CAC will really miss out on is the strength of Marymount's women's basketball program....

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Swish3 on October 23, 2017, 08:40:35 AM

Strictly from an athletic point of view, the only thing myself and the CAC will really miss out on is the strength of Marymount's women's basketball program....

Wesley's men have been respectable in the CAC for awhile. Yes, not as strong in the last year or two... but that doesn't mean it wasn't returning. However, I do see your point.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Swish3

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on October 23, 2017, 04:26:20 PM

Wesley's men have been respectable in the CAC for awhile. Yes, not as strong in the last year or two... but that doesn't mean it wasn't returning. However, I do see your point.

...and, just to be clear, I was considering all sports.  Off the top of my head, I'd say both overall athletic programs are probably below average to average in the CAC.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Swish3 on October 23, 2017, 04:52:46 PM

...and, just to be clear, I was considering all sports.  Off the top of my head, I'd say both overall athletic programs are probably below average to average in the CAC.

I suspect if you ask them, and others, much of the reason is they are private schools trying to compete with public schools. I don't always put stock in those things, but sometimes there is merit to the struggle. In this case, I am not sure. I do know that this isn't the first time the public schools situation and the unbalance in the CAC has been a point of contention.

Swish3

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on October 23, 2017, 05:14:56 PM
Quote from: Swish3 on October 23, 2017, 04:52:46 PM

I suspect if you ask them, and others, much of the reason is they are private schools trying to compete with public schools. I don't always put stock in those things, but sometimes there is merit to the struggle. In this case, I am not sure. I do know that this isn't the first time the public schools situation and the unbalance in the CAC has been a point of contention.

Well put, and I totally agree....

Goose_13

I may have misread the posts so take don't take too much offense to this! LOL But wasn't Private vs. Public a HUGE point of contention when CNU was in the Dixie/USA South? I know I remember "hearing" rumblings of this quite a bit during my tenure at CNU, as they were the only public school in the conference. I though the move to the CAC would definitely be more beneficial in many ways, with this being one of them, as they would be moving to a conference with more public schools. Obviously that has changed in the years since. Here's my question, have any of you guys (i.e. Pat, Dave, etc) heard any more rumblings on the conference changes front since that article was posted. I only ask out curiosity, as I don't have any "ties" to any of the teams other than being an alum and fan. I still can't over the possibility of the amount of changes that are/could be coming. Don't get me wrong, I like hearing about these things off the top, more so when it doesn't necessarily have any impact on my favorite team. I still would love to know where CNU could end up if the CAC dissolves. We know they aren't going back to the USA South, nor will they go to the ODAC. Can't go south or west, only option is north as I see in my lack of knowledge vision on this. Could it be one of the MAC conferences, Centennial, Landmark? To me those are the most logical and could provide a competitive balance, of course football could be an issue. Or do they go as far as recruit some schools and make their own conference. I am spitballing here guys and rambling I know. I am still trying to wrap my brain around all this! Thanks for listening, or in this case, reading, my rant!!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Goose_13 on October 27, 2017, 01:53:47 PM
I may have misread the posts so take don't take too much offense to this! LOL But wasn't Private vs. Public a HUGE point of contention when CNU was in the Dixie/USA South? I know I remember "hearing" rumblings of this quite a bit during my tenure at CNU, as they were the only public school in the conference. I though the move to the CAC would definitely be more beneficial in many ways, with this being one of them, as they would be moving to a conference with more public schools. Obviously that has changed in the years since. Here's my question, have any of you guys (i.e. Pat, Dave, etc) heard any more rumblings on the conference changes front since that article was posted. I only ask out curiosity, as I don't have any "ties" to any of the teams other than being an alum and fan. I still can't over the possibility of the amount of changes that are/could be coming. Don't get me wrong, I like hearing about these things off the top, more so when it doesn't necessarily have any impact on my favorite team. I still would love to know where CNU could end up if the CAC dissolves. We know they aren't going back to the USA South, nor will they go to the ODAC. Can't go south or west, only option is north as I see in my lack of knowledge vision on this. Could it be one of the MAC conferences, Centennial, Landmark? To me those are the most logical and could provide a competitive balance, of course football could be an issue. Or do they go as far as recruit some schools and make their own conference. I am spitballing here guys and rambling I know. I am still trying to wrap my brain around all this! Thanks for listening, or in this case, reading, my rant!!

Private v Public is a constant debate and topic of conversation whenever conferences are discussed. Comes up every time I talk to anyone about it. It is just ingrained. There are fallacies and legitimate challenges to the relationships. I also think there is some unfounded theories and fears from both sides depending on the situation. My favorite is when a school says they have a recruiting disadvantage to a public school and feel moving conferences changes that. Last I checked, the schools aren't physically moving themselves, thus the locations of schools and the recruiting challenges remain.

Not following exactly what you are asking when it comes to conference changes and the article we posted in June. While there hasn't been anything official from that new conference, that move is coming. The CSAC released a statement over the summer detailing their moves moving forward once five of their institutions leave the nest. Why the new conference hasn't said anything official is unknown. I do think we may have snuffed out their thunder (I was told by several sources they were days away from announcing it when we published). I also was told from a source that one school's president told their school that they were waiting for the NCAA to approve the conference (something that has never stopped an announcement in the past; it is a rubber stamp thing for the most part). I am told they still don't have a name, colors, etc., so I am really not sure why all the delays.

If you are talking about more changes, there are some rumors I am hearing, but I am not at all about to start throwing them around. Southern Virginia was a linchpin for the CAC. If they had gone full-time to the ODAC, it would have caused major problems. I just didn't see York (PA) staying put after that and the CAC would have been left with very few teams. However, SVU is staying put outside of football (which will move from the NJAC to the ODAC). That leaves some stability with the CAC. It remains to be seen what York does, but there is less fear of being left alone in the CAC than there was beforehand.

As far as CNU goes, I think they are fine for now. If the CAC remains intact, they don't have to go anywhere. I would agree that they don't have a lot of options out there. I don't see the MAC working due to distance (Lycoming to CNU would be BRUTAL let alone FDU Florham to CNU). They do not fit with the Centennial nor the Landmark at all. The rest of the conferences outside the ODAC are never going to accept CNU on a competitive basis. ODAC is too large and if they wanted CNU they would have courted them during the process that brought in Ferrum. I am told CNU wasn't even part of that.

There technically is the NJAC, but that would have to change the NJAC so revolutionary wise to bring in CNU that I simply don't see it happening. I mention it only because you mentioned looking "north."

If the CAC dissolves for whatever reason, I suspect what will actually happen is the remnants of the CAC for the most part (not all parties) will probably look to form up with others possibly from the ODAC or elsewhere to create a new conference. However, that is so far off in terms of reality for what is going on now that it isn't worth really discussing or worrying about.

CNU85

2 Exhibition games this week against D1 schools. Should be interesting.

Swish3

Quote from: CNU85 on November 01, 2017, 03:26:40 PM
2 Exhibition games this week against D1 schools. Should be interesting.

Yep, first one's tonight at UMES...the Captains tabbed as the 14th best team in D3...not exactly sure what to expect this season, but time will tell.

GO CAPS!

Reserved Seat

How many exhibition games is a D3 school allowed to have?

gordonmann

Two, if you have 25 regular season games. More if you have less than 25 games, like some of the ASC schools do.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: gordonmann on November 02, 2017, 12:23:22 PM
Two, if you have 25 regular season games. More if you have less than 25 games, like some of the ASC schools do.

To follow up... only two up to and BEFORE Nov. 15... you can have as many as you want afterward, but they count towards a team's 25-game allotment in the regular season.

As Gordon points out, the ASC is using a lot of regular season exhibition games this year.

Swish3

Swish3

CNU was embarrassed yesterday at ODU...according to the box score, Ellis, Gibbs and McFarland didn't play, which makes me feel a little bit better.  I also noticed a lot of new names for the Captains...wish they'd update their roster!