FB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gizzmo13

well the positives, we still have a lot returning and a young QB with meaningful game time, a stub sr RB and an up and coming WR. Larry and son put mount on the map for kids wanting to play high level football that may have been over looked by a bigger program. I think as long as we win we'll still get elite level athletes and players at the d3 level.  I think Dart makes a lot of sense if that's the direction they go. I wouldn't mind seeing Siriani either. He's had a great record and career so far at W&J. I wonder how the players are feeling right now?

hsbsballcoach7

Quote from: gizzmo13 on January 14, 2020, 08:21:36 AM
well the positives, we still have a lot returning and a young QB with meaningful game time, a stub sr RB and an up and coming WR. Larry and son put mount on the map for kids wanting to play high level football that may have been over looked by a bigger program. I think as long as we win we'll still get elite level athletes and players at the d3 level.  I think Dart makes a lot of sense if that's the direction they go. I wouldn't mind seeing Siriani either. He's had a great record and career so far at W&J. I wonder how the players are feeling right now?

Was just thinking about the current players.
I wonder if they waited to announce this week bc Mount just got back to school Monday. I hope they talked to the players and let them know what was going on. I'm pretty sure the hire will be quick, just like when Vince took over in hopes of a seamless transition. That way spring ball will be led by the staff for next year.

Raider 68

My thoughts on the retirement of Larry Kehres and the resignation of Vince Kehres;

- The retirement of Coach and AD Larry Kehres comes as no surprise. He will
   now have time to do many things he has wanted to do. My contacts tell me it was going to be this year or next.

- The Coach Vince move, is somewhat surprising but necessary if he wants to become a D1 HC.

Some factors that I see in his decision could have been;

1. Experience at the D1 level

2. Economics - Pay level much higher than a D3 HC

3. His father now retiring

4. The fact that the 2019 Raiders should have won the National title this year with the team they had, but did not.
        ( The worst coached and game plan against North Central in recent years, IMHO)

Going forward, for those  other programs who may think that Mount will not be a leading contender, time will tell, but Larry
Kehres will pick the next great coach and the level of recruitment will still be extremely good

Let's just think positive about the future since there is a good group of players returning and still a strong
coaching staff with maybe a former Mount player returning as HC, we'll see.

13 time Division III National Champions

bluestreak66

Quote from: pradierguy on January 13, 2020, 09:38:28 PM
From what I'm hearing, the JCU's of the world should be rejoicing. Not saying Mount won't be competitive and perhaps even be a title contender, but the reign and era is officially over. OAC will be wide open much sooner than later.

Waiting for VK to pack his bags and head to Toledo like.....

A.M.D.G.
Whose House? STREAKS' HOUSE!

RIP MUC57- "Go everybody!"

2018 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION
2018 & 2019 ODAC POSTSEASON PICK EM'S CHAMPION
2019 OAC POSTSEASON PICK EM'S CHAMPION

s e 76

worst coached game should have title good riddance

wally_wabash

Quote from: s e 76 on January 14, 2020, 03:43:27 PM

If this is anywhere near representative, y'all don't deserve the Kehres family. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

bluestreak66

Quote from: wally_wabash on January 14, 2020, 03:46:27 PM

Come now Wally. You know the fickle nature of sports. It's not so much what have you done for me lately as it is what have you done for me in the past 2 months  8-)
A.M.D.G.
Whose House? STREAKS' HOUSE!

RIP MUC57- "Go everybody!"

2018 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION
2018 & 2019 ODAC POSTSEASON PICK EM'S CHAMPION
2019 OAC POSTSEASON PICK EM'S CHAMPION

hsbsballcoach7

Quote from: bluestreak66 on January 14, 2020, 04:10:08 PM
Quote from: wally_wabash on January 14, 2020, 03:46:27 PM

Come now Wally. You know the fickle nature of sports. It's not so much what have you done for me lately as it is what have you done for me in the past 2 months  8-)

I'm thinking this person is just trolling us and knows more background than most of us with an email address that has kehres in it for their profile. Mount was lucky to have both Vince and Larry for as long as we have. They've created the culture here and I'm sure Larry won't let it slip and be a phone call or golf cart ride away all of the time.

purple

We lost to a super NCI  team, and especially a great quarterback having a great day. I was there ,close to the field, and even when our dbs had good coverage that qb put the ball right on the money. He was unconscious.
Best performance I have ever seen by an opposing qb against the Raiders, and I go back nearly fifty years.
I saw The Great Jim Ballard took some shots at the Raiders. Very disappointing. We were the second best team in D3 in 2019. Sometimes you get beat by a better team.

formerd3db

Quote from: Raider 68 on January 14, 2020, 12:32:54 PM
My thoughts on the retirement of Larry Kehres and the resignation of Vince Kehres;

- The retirement of Coach and AD Larry Kehres comes as no surprise. He will
   now have time to do many things he has wanted to do. My contacts tell me it was going to be this year or next.

- The Coach Vince move, is somewhat surprising but necessary if he wants to become a D1 HC.

Some factors that I see in his decision could have been;

1. Experience at the D1 level

2. Economics - Pay level much higher than a D3 HC

3. His father now retiring

4. The fact that the 2019 Raiders should have won the National title this year with the team they had, but did not.
        ( The worst coached and game plan against North Central in recent years, IMHO)

Going forward, for those  other programs who may think that Mount will not be a leading contender, time will tell, but Larry
Kehres will pick the next great coach and the level of recruitment will still be extremely good

Let's just think positive about the future since there is a good group of players returning and still a strong
coaching staff with maybe a former Mount player returning as HC, we'll see.

Raider68:

All very good reasons as you have outlined.  Along with those, the obvious overlying summary of all the above is simply as VK himself related in his statement.  He is 43 years old.  These life decisions are never easy no matter who the person is or the specific situation they are in because they affect more people than the person themselves, their family I would say being at the top, aside from the obvious i.e. the university, alumni, the program, etc. But sometimes in life, when these opportunities present, it comes down to not wanting to let that potential last chance pass by forever.  VK said that himself when he related that he certainly thought about the very real possibility that "they [other universities} would simply stop calling." We've all been there at some point in our lives, I think, whether it is in football or other careers.

There are many examples of this in college football, of course, as this happens every year across all the divisions-some are surprising, some are not.  Yet, when I read his statement, immediately what came to mind is when Chuck Martin took the ND assistant position with his old friend Brian Kelly. after turning down Kelly two times prior when the latter took the Central Michigan and Cincinnati jobs. Martin related he was afraid that Kelly would not ask him anymore if he turned an offer down a third time.

VK, without question, had a great career both as a player and coach at Mount Union.  Although he had great success as a coach, I do not doubt that he would have added even more to his own legacy there in winning more national championships had he chosen to stay.  Yet, in this current era, it is much less common than in the past that coaches stay at one school for their careers now regardless of what college division it is.  That's just the nature of the business and there is nothing wrong with that.  In a sense, it is sad to see VK go and his father LK retire and the changes that are apparently occurring at Mount Union.  However, that is life, but that legacy they left will be there forever.  It will be interesting to see the new chapter in the great football program at Mount.  I wish VK, LK and their entire families all the best as they move on to this next chapter in their lives.  In the words of the late Michigan State coach George Perles, "It has been a great ride!" 
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

Sir Battlescars

I've got Heidelberg winning the OAC next year.  ;D
2014 NCAC Football Pick 'Em Champion!!

HScoach

I knew this day would come some day, and honestly it took much longer than I expected, but I keep thinking Mount is about to become Augustana.
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

Raider 68

Quote from: purple on January 14, 2020, 06:44:44 PM
   We lost to a super NCI  team, and especially a great quarterback having a great day. I was there ,close to the field, and even when our dbs had good coverage that qb put the ball right on the money. He was unconscious.
Best performance I have ever seen by an opposing qb against the Raiders, and I go back nearly fifty years.
I saw The Great Jim Ballard took some shots at the Raiders. Very disappointing. We were the second best team in D3 in 2019. Sometimes you get beat by a better team.

purple,

NCC was a great team and had a great QB, but Mount knew that coming in. I was there as well, and I saw no pressure on
the QB. They had a great O line, but rushing 3 the entire game played right into their hands. The Raider DB's had their hands
full with their receivers, but you cannot give a accurate QB that much time.

In second half there were no defense adjustments that Mount normally makes and very few running plays in the last few drives. Fulford
played  a great game, but the play calling was very questionable.

So, I do not agree that Mount was the second best team, they came in with the offense and a very good defense. NCC just did a better job in execution, play calling and coaching. When your team scores 52 points and loses, there are more reasons
than just that NCC was the best. NCC just covered all those area better than Mount did.
13 time Division III National Champions

badgerwarhawk

Perhaps we'll see a Kehres/Leipold matchup given that both are in the MidAmerican albeit in opposite divisions.  The two programs did meet with past season with Buffalo coming out on top.
"Just think twice is my only advice."

hsbsballcoach7

The more I talk with people the more Kyle Miller's name comes up. I like him a lot and think he would have a good temperament to be the guy as well. He builds good relationships, recruits well, has experience that few do (in NFL for 5 years).

I'm hoping for any of these former Mount Union players) coaches.
Kappas
Miller
Sirianni (has D3 head coaching experience)
Kostelnik (great HS coach with connections for recruiting)
Elder (great HS coach with connections for recruiting)